PJ Condos | 156.96m | 48s | Pinnacle | Hariri Pontarini

interchange42

Administrator
Staff member
Member Bio
Reaction score
The Selby is taller but neither use real bricks. Both use panels with an outer layer made to resemble real brick. So fake brick.
Real brick veneers are embedded in precast panels on both buildings, so they both have real brick on the exterior, it's just that the brick is mounted differently and is not full thickness. There are types of precast panelling where the precast itself has a face with a brick pattern moulded onto it and then is stained to look like brick. There is a difference. I think the first complex we saw the latter style applied in the city was at Plaza's King West Life Condominiums. This is not that.

3Dementia

Member Bio
Reaction score
Real brick veneers are embedded in precast panels on both buildings, so they both have real brick on the exterior, it's just that the brick is mounted differently and is not full thickness. There are types of precast panelling where the precast itself has a face with a brick pattern moulded onto it and then is stained to look like brick. There is a difference. I think the first complex we saw the latter style applied in the city was at Plaza's King West Life Condominiums. This is not that.

isaidso what is your agenda? You were corrected more than week ago on another forum (regarding fake brick on 75 The Esplanade) and you’ve just said the identical thing again.

isaidso said:
“Great update although one small correction: this isn't real brick it's fake brick. These are panels with a thin veneer attached to the front that is meant to mimic brick. You can see the break in the panels.”

I corrected him not once:
Me: “You might want to check your sources, because you are wrong. While most of the new buildings downtown do use brick veneer pre-cast, there has been a number of discussion posts, specifically about of the use of real brick (and human brick-layers) for 75 The Esplanade.
A photo was included: “Pretty sure the bricklayer on the scaffolding, holding a brick.. works here. Note the first row of bricks.”

But twice:

Me: “To follow up my earlier correction of your correction, even pre-cast brick veneer isn't completely "fake" as you say... the thin brick slices used in veneers are decorative but are made from the same materials and processes as other brick. And the "breaks" you mention above are likely expansion gaps typical of layed brick. But as posted earlier, 75 The Esplanade is using "real brick".

You love to sound smart but... (BTW you actually acknowledged your mistake back then. I thought I had a bad memory….).

Last edited:

Benito

Member Bio
Reaction score
Today.
CCDC408E-99E7-423E-A6CB-7294593DA409.jpeg

LUVIT!

Member Bio
Reaction score
I do like the angle, the slant at the podium level, the arches, plus the warm tone of this as opposed to the omnipresent green/blue/greys that are all the rage.

cd concept

Member Bio
Reaction score
What a difference 50% windows to 50% column spandrel etc looks on this skyline. As you can see in the photos up above. We need more balance on the top part of the skyline too much glass !

ProjectEnd

Superstar
Member Bio
Reaction score
A nice touch of warmth in a sea of visually depressing, soul-sucking cluster of buildings which this city has an infatuation of allowing to be built.
How could / would the city prevent those buildings from being built? Leaving beside the absurdity of your 'infatuation' qualifier, of course...

UtakataNoAnnex

Member Bio
Reaction score
How could / would the city prevent those buildings from being built? Leaving beside the absurdity of your 'infatuation' qualifier, of course...
That's an interesting question. So I presume even if the city determined all those building sucked donkey turds design wise, they really have no way of stopping those buildings from being built if they meet all the planning and safety protocols. Or they would have long been stopped. And presuming as well, if said city doesn't have a poor sense of good design to begin with.

Amare

Member Bio
Reaction score
Im not saying they could prevent them all, i'm saying they could put pressure/influence the materials that are used through the powers they have. Instead of you know, having the same monotonous grey spandrel laced builds we see repeated X times everywhere.

Amare

Member Bio
Reaction score
Various methods chief amongst them: tax break schemes.

One example could include redirecting the money that the city pisses away with the IMIT program, and use it to credit/give grants to developers who incorporate unique materials in their builds. Clearly the province couldnt care less to force developers do it, so the onus is on the city to find a method within their scope and powers.