Mississauga Pearson Transit Hub | ?m | ?s | GTAA

According to Metrolinx, they are still actively developing the planned connection from Renforth to Pearson for the Eglinton West LRT with the GTAA. I wonder how this affects this project.

I wonder if they can design the incoming track in such a way that it can be diverted into a "temporary" LRT station at the airport. Once the hub is built, the track can be realigned into the permanent platforms inside it.

I know it's not directly comparable because this would be a new build and not a replacement of the existing facility, but something like what San Francisco did with the Transbay Terminal. The temporary terminal was in operation for 8 years until the new, permanent one opened.

I'm sure there are probably other examples out there of new transit lines going into temporary stations while a new, larger multimodal facility is built nearby.

Considering the current circumstances down at the GTAA, the airport extension is pretty much up in the air timeline-wise.
Which is great in my books. Maybe it opens up a chance to re-evaluate the recidulous pier expansion design that they adjusted from the original concept, which is much worse IMO.

Considering the current circumstances down at the GTAA, the airport extension is pretty much up in the air timeline-wise.

While transit certainly helps the airport, and a single check-in helps staffing efficiency, a primary objective of the plan was leveraging land assets into a recurring revenue stream.

Even if air-travel recovers quickly, the whole Union West business plan (train station surrounded by offices leasing land from the airport) fails if work-from-home significantly reduces suburban transit-connected office demand.

Sharing here for your information... Now that Metrolinx has stated its intentions to indeed extend the Eglinton LRT to Pearson, I have created a separate thread so the extensions gets the attention it deserves and is not confused in other threads.

Link to thread - https://urbantoronto.ca/forum/threa...osstown-west-extension-airport-segment.34550/

Let us use this thread to discuss this further west extension of the Eglinton LRT to Pearson.

Source - https://www.infrastructureontario.c...et_Update/Market Update_11212022_FINAL_EN.pdf

All quiet on the Pearson Transit Hub front.

The battle for the extension of the Line 5 Crosstown LRT from Renforth Station to the Pearson Transit Hub is in a lull.

What about the other battles?

The UPX has finally returned to every 15 minutes.

First Train From Pearson05:27
Service Every 15 mins
Last Train23:27

First Train From Union04:55
Service Every 15 mins
Last Train23:00

Except that to limit nighttime noise and balance growing regional demand, Transport Canada created a night flight restriction program, which limits the number of movements during the restricted hours (12:30 am to 6:29 am). Forgetting that we require to be 3± hours before a flight at Pearson. Also it can take h-o-u-r-s on arrival to leave the airplane, walk the d-i-s-t-a-n-c-e to get to customs, and then the time for cavity searches, eating your smuggled fruit & sausages, and drinking the extra litre vodka you have with you. Should have 24/7 service on all public transit.

Not just Toronto, but also all the other transit agencies.
From link (as at 14:25).
1680027963003.png

All quiet on the Pearson Transit Hub front.

The battle for the extension of the Line 5 Crosstown LRT from Renforth Station to the Pearson Transit Hub is in a lull.

What about the other battles?

The UPX has finally returned to every 15 minutes.

First Train From Pearson05:27
Service Every 15 mins
Last Train23:27

First Train From Union04:55
Service Every 15 mins
Last Train23:00

Except that to limit nighttime noise and balance growing regional demand, Transport Canada created a night flight restriction program, which limits the number of movements during the restricted hours (12:30 am to 6:29 am). Forgetting that we require to be 3± hours before a flight at Pearson. Also it can take h-o-u-r-s on arrival to leave the airplane, walk the d-i-s-t-a-n-c-e to get to customs, and then the time for cavity searches, eating your smuggled fruit & sausages, and drinking the extra litre vodka you have with you. Should have 24/7 service on all public transit.

Not just Toronto, but also all the other transit agencies.
From link (as at 14:25).
View attachment 464861

UPx should be 24/7 at least every 40-60 mins during the overnight period. It's not just passengers (who as you note need to be at the airport 3 hrs prior to their flight and often take upwards of 1 hr to get through canada customs), but also airport employees (pilots, flight attendants, check in attendants, gate staff, etc, etc) who's shifts often begin before passengers arrive for their flights and end long after the last passenger has left the airport.

A cursory look at YYZ's schedule for today/tomorrow. There are 55 scheduled departures between the 2 am and 8 am window where UPx won't get you to YYZ in time to make the check in time. And 57 scheduled arrivals between the 10 pm to 4 am window where UPx would be not operating by the time the passenger gets through customs and landside. Amounting ~13,500 unserved passengers per day (if each flight is holding 120 passengers) + staff. And while some of these are leisure flights by charter airlines (sunwing), and ULH flights, some do serve business centers that cater to business travelers coming from downtown (NYC, CHI, MTL, CGY, VAN, LA, etc)

UPx should be 24/7 at least every 40-60 mins during the overnight period. It's not just passengers (who as you note need to be at the airport 3 hrs prior to their flight and often take upwards of 1 hr to get through canada customs), but also airport employees (pilots, flight attendants, check in attendants, gate staff, etc, etc) who's shifts often begin before passengers arrive for their flights and end long after the last passenger has left the airport.

A cursory look at YYZ's schedule for today/tomorrow. There are 55 scheduled departures between the 2 am and 8 am window where UPx won't get you to YYZ in time to make the check in time. And 57 scheduled arrivals between the 10 pm to 4 am window where UPx would be not operating by the time the passenger gets through customs and landside. Amounting ~13,500 unserved passengers per day (if each flight is holding 120 passengers) + staff. And while some of these are leisure flights by charter airlines (sunwing), and ULH flights, some do serve business centers that cater to business travelers coming from downtown (NYC, CHI, MTL, CGY, VAN, LA, etc)
i guess to them its a matter of economics. would there be enough passengers to offset the running costs of dead night service?

Back