Pearson Transit Hub | ?m | ?s | GTAA

gweed123

Staff member
Member Bio
Reaction score
According to Metrolinx, they are still actively developing the planned connection from Renforth to Pearson for the Eglinton West LRT with the GTAA. I wonder how this affects this project.

I wonder if they can design the incoming track in such a way that it can be diverted into a "temporary" LRT station at the airport. Once the hub is built, the track can be realigned into the permanent platforms inside it.

I know it's not directly comparable because this would be a new build and not a replacement of the existing facility, but something like what San Francisco did with the Transbay Terminal. The temporary terminal was in operation for 8 years until the new, permanent one opened.

I'm sure there are probably other examples out there of new transit lines going into temporary stations while a new, larger multimodal facility is built nearby.

Amare

Member Bio
Reaction score
Considering the current circumstances down at the GTAA, the airport extension is pretty much up in the air timeline-wise.
Which is great in my books. Maybe it opens up a chance to re-evaluate the recidulous pier expansion design that they adjusted from the original concept, which is much worse IMO.

rbt

Member Bio
Reaction score
Considering the current circumstances down at the GTAA, the airport extension is pretty much up in the air timeline-wise.

While transit certainly helps the airport, and a single check-in helps staffing efficiency, a primary objective of the plan was leveraging land assets into a recurring revenue stream.

Even if air-travel recovers quickly, the whole Union West business plan (train station surrounded by offices leasing land from the airport) fails if work-from-home significantly reduces suburban transit-connected office demand.