Mississauga Pearson Transit Hub | ?m | ?s | GTAA

... Amounting ~13,500 unserved passengers per day ...
They're unserved by the UPX, but there are the all-night (300) bus routes. I haven't used them to get to/from the airport, but the few times I used other routes they did move surprisingly quickly with no traffic and not having to make many stops. The exception was the Bloor bus on a Sunday morning which was very much overcrowded, but I think since then the subway has started operating earlier on Sunday mornings.

Last edited:
i guess to them its a matter of economics. would there be enough passengers to offset the running costs of dead night service?

40 min service would require 2 trainset + crew operating, there would be long layovers at each end (not necessarily a bad thing, as it's nice to find the train waiting for you at the terminal rather than having to guess if there's service. 30-40 min service would reduce layover times). 60 minute service can be done with one trainset + crew.

Some quick back of envelope calculations, (I'm by no means an expert at estimating passenger demand). Assuming 40% the 13,500 are business travelers and or originating from the dt core and 15% opt to take the UPx if available. Gives 1,013 potential riders, add in say 5% for employees gets us to 1,064 potential passengers. The two car trainsets hold something like 115 passengers, with 40 min service we would yield ridership of 54 per trip, or with 60 min 89 passengers per trip. Maybe my estimates are best case scenario, I don't know. But a passenger load factor of 46% seems pretty good.

I think the issue is the availability of trainsets and being able to run the service while still being able to pull trainsets out for routine maintenance.

40 min service would require 2 trainset + crew operating, there would be long layovers at each end (not necessarily a bad thing, as it's nice to find the train waiting for you at the terminal rather than having to guess if there's service. 30-40 min service would reduce layover times). 60 minute service can be done with one trainset + crew.

Some quick back of envelope calculations, (I'm by no means an expert at estimating passenger demand). Assuming 40% the 13,500 are business travelers and or originating from the dt core and 15% opt to take the UPx if available. Gives 1,013 potential riders, add in say 5% for employees gets us to 1,064 potential passengers. The two car trainsets hold something like 115 passengers, with 40 min service we would yield ridership of 54 per trip, or with 60 min 89 passengers per trip. Maybe my estimates are best case scenario, I don't know. But a passenger load factor of 46% seems pretty good.

I think the issue is the availability of trainsets and being able to run the service while still being able to pull trainsets out for routine maintenance.
truthfully it is best case... id expect no more than 25% capacity after 12am...

truthfully it is best case... id expect no more than 25% capacity after 12am...
I have ridden the 300 after 12pm going to the airport a number of times that its almost crush load.. You are talking about 70 riders per bus. Now I haven't taken it all the way to the airport to say everyone one is going there, but a lot of flight crews from Caption down on the buses.

@Reecemartin posted a video today discussing what a Pearson transit hub could look like. I thought it was pretty well thought through. Connecting the Kitchener Line in this way would open the potential for very good connections for KW to the airport.

The one suggestion I would make is reserving the first above-ground level for platforms for future rail transit that would enter the station on elevated guideway (407 line/Ontario Line "loop", potential RT line to Mississauga).

Check-in should be at the transit hub. Go through security at the transit hub. Drop off your luggage (with you GPS tracker or Apple Airtag) at the transit hub. Then ride the people mover (updated Terminal Link?) to your gate with only your carry-on, passport, and gate pass.

Honest question. Are there any other airports where check in is so far away from the main terminal building(s)?

I'm really not a fan of check in at the Transit Hub

Honest question. Are there any other airports where check in is so far away from the main terminal building(s)?

Denver comes to mind. And often with these newer facilities like Heathrow T2 and T5 it's a long people mover ride to the bigger gates which are in multiple satellites.

Nearly every airport with a people mover between the check-in counter and the gate.

Atlanta and Dulles (Z gates are close but few in number; most gates are quite far attached to a separate structure) in addition to the list @nfitz provided.

Last edited:
Denver comes to mind. And often with these newer facilities like Heathrow T2 and T5 it's a long people mover ride to the bigger gates which are in multiple satellites.

Nearly every airport with a people mover between the check-in counter and the gate.

Atlanta and Dulles (Z gates are close but few in number; most gates are quite far attached to a separate structure) in addition to the list @nfitz provided.

As noted the airports listed differ from YYZ in that they feature multiple (more than two) terminals and a people mover connecting the main check in call to the 'satellite' terminals. But also the check in terminals are on the Airport grounds proper, not some remote site on the other side of a public roadway.

YYZ has two terminals, eventually to be joined into one if their master plan is to be believed, that are relatively close together. And the Transit hub would be out off of the Airport lands (yes I know YYZ owns the land but those lands are not part of the airport's typical footprint.

The people movers are probably a must. IIRC the official proposal had transit riders walking a kilometer just to get to check in, while those arriving by car were dropped at the door. Not the best optics.
Check-in should be at the transit hub. Go through security at the transit hub. Drop off your luggage (with you GPS tracker or Apple Airtag) at the transit hub. Then ride the people mover (updated Terminal Link?) to your gate with only your carry-on, passport, and gate pass.

The most recent plan had check-in and security at a "Passenger Processing Centre" next to the transit hub. Basically the model used in other airports such as Denver.

I was at Denver airport a few weeks ago and I gotta say, their model works. I have never been through security so quickly. Then you just take the underground people mover to whichever satellite terminal you need. Pearson has a less linear layout, but having a people mover as part of the new design would be a big improvement over what seems to be the current plan of "make people walk really far".

As noted the airports listed differ from YYZ in that they feature multiple (more than two) terminals and a people mover connecting the main check in call to the 'satellite' terminals. But also the check in terminals are on the Airport grounds proper, not some remote site on the other side of a public roadway.

YYZ has two terminals, eventually to be joined into one if their master plan is to be believed, that are relatively close together. And the Transit hub would be out off of the Airport lands (yes I know YYZ owns the land but those lands are not part of the airport's typical footprint.
Denver has a single terminal.

Oh they call one side of it east and the other west, but it's really only wayfinding.

Denver has a single terminal.

Oh they call one side of it east and the other west, but it's really only wayfinding.
Denver has east and west under the same roof but I think that if you look at Atlanta with its International terminal the clarity on what makes a terminal a terminal becomes a grey area. What makes a terminal and a concourse different? If all the check-in facilities for what is now T1 and T3 were made at a location east of Airport Road and a connecting people mover system brought people to the central processing area from A&IFC gates (T3 satellites), B gates (T3 USA), C gates (T3 Can/Intl), D gates (T1 Canada), E gates (T1 International), and F gates (T1 USA) with all the people movers set to ensure that international arrivals must be brought to customs, US cleared passengers are taken only to US gates, etc... then would there be one terminal at Pearson or still two? If you have two processing areas for the same set of concourses is it two terminals or one?

Last edited:

Back