Pearson Transit Hub | ?m | ?s | GTAA

kEiThZ

Member Bio
Reaction score

These are some of the conditions being imposed on airline bailouts elsewhere. Worth considering further rail integration as part of our plans here.

blaixx

Member Bio
Reaction score
I used to be in favour of the extended LINK train option, but after having seen the plans for the transit hub, I think that option makes a lot more sense. If we want to change the modal split to Pearson, we need to locate the transit at Pearson, not just a short train ride away from Pearson. Every additional transfer hauling luggage makes people less likely to use it.
Won't people have to haul their luggage from the Pearson Transit Hub to the terminals anyways? The expanded Link Train proposal would basically require 2 well built transfer stations rather than 1.

rbt

Member Bio
Reaction score
Won't people have to haul their luggage from the Pearson Transit Hub to the terminals anyways? The expanded Link Train proposal would basically require 2 well built transfer stations rather than 1.
For Pearson, the Transit portion of the plan is a bonus. What they really want is a significantly larger and consolidated customs/checkin area, which is shifting to the Transit Hub building. T1/T3 would largely be converted to mall/food court and additional gates.

Last edited:

Coolstar

Member Bio
Reaction score
For Pearson, the Transit portion of the plan is a bonus. What they really want is a significantly larger and consolidated customs/checkin area, which is shifting to the Transit Hub building. T1/T3 would largely be converted to mall/food court and additional gates.
Where did you find that T1/T3 would be converted? And if so, is it really worth it to do so?

Voltz

Member Bio
Reaction score
Where did you find that T1/T3 would be converted? And if so, is it really worth it to do so?
The renderings of the plan did show the parking garages and vehicle pick up/drop off roads being removed and replaced with aircraft gates on that side of the terminals, which I have never thought is worthwhile since with T1 especially there is more than 10x the space needed for passenger gates, the check in and baggage claim halls would be way to much space for shopping areas. As well there would only be a few gates built there anyway. and they would lose the parking garages, and have to build this new transit terminal building to replace functions that the terminals already serve.

jje1000

Member Bio
Reaction score
Since they are in the planning stage, I can see them incorporating "social distancing" just in case for future pandemics. For example, I can see them having disinfecting stations for the taxis and limousines, between trips. Can see screen separating the backseat passenger and the driver being made mandatory.
Honestly I do wonder what the landscape will resemble emerging from the pandemic, especially with travel dampened, airlines under heavy stress, and public fears of infection.

Just as the need for security screenings post 9/11 forced the compartmentalization of airports, the necessity of 'social distancing' in pandemic situations may force further changes- it could be the addition of small elements like the forementioned UV lights, or it could be larger changes to airport infrastructure.

Can definitely see a push towards more kiosks in terminals, and changes to airplane air circulation.

Woodbridge_Heights

Member Bio
Reaction score
Even if Pearson goes through with the plans as shown in the renderings, (they are still working on initial design work as we speak so things may change) we are talking about the final buildout being complete 20 to 30 years from now.

At the moment Pearson has adequate gate and runway capacity, it is the terminals where space is constrained, made worse by the GTAA's insistence to turn every possible sq ft into a food court/shopping centre. The end of hammerhead F feels quite congested especially if there are multiple large flights departing at the same time.

Reecemartin

Member Bio
Reaction score
IMO the best thing is to extend the Link Train in both directions. Have it terminate at the new GO station at Highway 27/Woodbine in the north and terminate at Renforth Station in the south. That way the Eglinton line can be extended west into the transitway in the future if it needs to, and no diversions of HSR/RER/Kitchener Line are necessary. That tunnel idea looks veeeeery expensive.
As others have mentioned, you need to locate transit WHERE people want to go, not a few stops away. Thats a big reason why stations that are a ten minute walk from the downtown core of cities do worse than ones directly in the downtown core. Transfers are death by a million cuts.

The silver lining is - there is so much wasted space in a low floor design, Alstom or Bombardier, that one can find a place to tuck a suitcase. You just can’t sit in a quad.

I do think that any transit line that feeds an airport ought to turn its mind to stowing luggage. That may well sacrifice a seat or two per railcar. It’s surprising how few actually do this.

- Paul
They have a ton of vertical space, would be great to have overhead racks in some places.

Reecemartin

Member Bio
Reaction score
Also of note, saw some projections from YVR that sound like traffic is gonna be absolutely horrible for at least a few years (40% reduction). I do hope given Pearson is a bit less oriented around International Traffic (especially from Asia) and that with a lot of employment things aren't as bad, but I can't imagine Pearson is gonna pour any of their own money into this at this point (that would be too progressive LOL).

Maybe a good stimulus project? But its not ready for construction . .

Bureaucromancer

Member Bio
Reaction score
Maybe a good stimulus project? But its not ready for construction . .
As much as I'm not someone to yell and scream about investing in aviation infrastructure... That would be a genuinely bad stimulus project compared to funding HFR and using it to shift regional travel out of Pearson freeing capacity for the international travel that makes air travel a genuine economic boon.

For that matter, if the goal is stimulus and we MUST support short haul aviation there'd be more job creation and long term benefit in Pickering IMO. At least that gets us a long term piece of infrastructure that the GTAA isn't quite capable of doing on it's own when it actually becomes necessary.

anb

Member Bio
Reaction score
Wouldn’t it make sense for the link train to just extend to serve Renforth first for Miway to get a proper connection to the airport? As for now, only the miway 7, 100 and ttc 52 serves the airport directly, while the 107 and 24 serve Viscount station. It would be amazing if we got more miway routes to serve the airport

Coolstar

Member Bio
Reaction score
Wouldn’t it make sense for the link train to just extend to serve Renforth first for Miway to get a proper connection to the airport? As for now, only the miway 7, 100 and ttc 52 serves the airport directly, while the 107 and 24 serve Viscount station. It would be amazing if we got more miway routes to serve the airport
Welcome to the thread! In my personal opinion, I think the Transit Hub is a better idea than extending the LINK train to Malton or Renforth or Woodbine because if the GTAA wants more people to use transit to help get them to the airport, then we should the have the connecting transit located right at the airport. Carrying luggage to the main airport station but then having to transfer onto the LINK train to get to the main terminals could potentially result in people less likely to use it. Though there are some disadvantages like removing the LINK train based on initial designs and using a long-looking bridge to get to the gates. Though there would be sort of a new terminal next to the main transit hub that'll handle things like check-in and security.

If or when things go wrong with the transit hub, a good idea I've seen is that we split the transit hub into two and extend the LINK both directions to Renforth and Malton and upgrade it so that LRT and Miway services connect at Renforth and enable the Eglinton Crosstown to be extended to Downtown Mississauga once the Transitway requires an upgrade and have Regional and Intercity rail services connect at Malton. The upgraded LINK service could be like the Airtrain at JFK airport. I have been slowly leaning towards this option but let's see once more designs and reports are out for the Transit Hub.

Last edited:

anb

Member Bio
Reaction score
Welcome to the thread! In my personal opinion, I think the Transit Hub is a better idea than extending the LINK train to Malton or Renforth or Woodbine because if the GTAA wants more people to use transit to help get them to the airport, then we should the have the connecting transit located right at the airport. Carrying luggage to the main airport station but then having to transfer onto the LINK train to get to the main terminals could potentially result in people less likely to use it. Though there are some disadvantages like removing the LINK train based on initial designs and using a long-looking bridge to get to the gates. Though there would be sort of a new terminal next to the main transit hub that'll handle things like check-in and security.

If or when things go wrong with the transit hub, a good idea I've seen is that we split the transit hub into two and extend the LINK both directions to Renforth and Malton and upgrade it so that LRT and Miway services connect at Renforth and enable the Eglinton Crosstown to be extended to Downtown Mississauga and Regional and Intercity rail services connect at Malton. The upgraded LINK service could be like the Airtrain at JFK airport. I have been slowly leaning towards this option but let's see once more designs and reports for the Transit Hub.
Thank you! I think if they would do the link train approach as i suggested, they can just make the train interior a similar design to the current UP express, so people can have somewhere to put their luggage in. The transit hub is a great concept and i would like to see that happen. I heard that metrolinx wants both the crosstown lrt and finch lrt to go to the airport, which how amazing that sounds, feels like a bit much. The link train can help to connect both lines and i just feel like it would be better. Finch line ending at woodbine, and crosstown ending at renforth, while the link connects the two ends and the airport. This can also help relieve congestion and overcrowding at the airport hub

Coolstar

Member Bio
Reaction score
I asked the GTAA a month or two ago if COVID-19 would impact progress on the transit hub. This is what they had to say.

"COVID-19 has foundationally impacted the aviation, travel and tourism sector – a structural shift unlike anything we have seen in our lifetime. Given the uncertainty brought about by COVID-19, we will be revisiting our medium- and long-term plans over the next several quarters as we begin to understand the speed with which recovery takes place."

I also got a little curious and asked if there were updated designs but planning is still ongoing.

''The renderings that you mention are from 2017 when we initially presented a concept for a regional transit hub that connects with local and regional services, as well as rapid transit lines. At this time, there are no new renderings to share as planning is ongoing and we’re adapting to COVID-19 recovery"

gweed123

Staff member
Member Bio
Reaction score
I asked the GTAA a month or two ago if COVID-19 would impact progress on the transit hub. This is what they had to say.

"COVID-19 has foundationally impacted the aviation, travel and tourism sector – a structural shift unlike anything we have seen in our lifetime. Given the uncertainty brought about by COVID-19, we will be revisiting our medium- and long-term plans over the next several quarters as we begin to understand the speed with which recovery takes place."

I also got a little curious and asked if there were updated designs but planning is still ongoing.

''The renderings that you mention are from 2017 when we initially presented a concept for a regional transit hub that connects with local and regional services, as well as rapid transit lines. At this time, there are no new renderings to share as planning is ongoing and we’re adapting to COVID-19 recovery"
I wonder if COVID will actually speed the construction of this terminal up a bit. With air travel looking like it's going to be in a funk for potentially years to come, it may give the GTAA a reason to shift their focus (and dollars) from air-side expansions to projects like the Transit Hub. The transit hub doesn't increase the overall passenger capacity of the airport, but it's infrastructure that would be great to have when demand does pick up again.