Mississauga Pearson Transit Hub | ?m | ?s | GTAA

...What about the space at Malton, could we expand the station? Yes, the parking lot is big enough for expansion and if more land is needed then part of the International Centre parking lot could be expropriated and then there is the old Orenda Engine buildings just east of the tracks. I'm sure that the owners of the International Centre wouldn't mind losing some parking for a major transportation hub at their door step. As for the old Orenda buildings, one is empty and the other has a flooring retail business which could be relocated anywhere...
FWIW, the last time I was on a GO train that stopped there about a month ago it looked like all of the old Orenda and Magellan Aerospace buildings that had been there were demolished, and apparently the site will be developed for other projects.

It's been a while since we got an update on the progress of the Pearson Transit Hub. One thing I noticed when visiting the Toronto Pearson website is that they remove the fact that HOK was designing the facility. Not sure if HOK pulled out behind the scenes. They also remove the opening date of the transit hub.

Before:
Snip-it_1605847022451.jpg

IIRC, GTAA said that they stopped working on this completely given the pandemic and their cash crunch. This project is now dead AFAIK, which I’m quite sad about.

Also, their former CEO was a huge proponent of this idea, but he retired this year. I’m not sure if the new CEO from LAX cares.

IIRC, GTAA said that they stopped working on this completely given the pandemic and their cash crunch. This project is now dead AFAIK, which I’m quite sad about.

Also, their former CEO was a huge proponent of this idea, but he retired this year. I’m not sure if the new CEO from LAX cares.
IIRC, the new CEO was willing to work on this project prior to COVID. Unfortunate the project is dead. Looks like the other options is to extend the Crosstown to Terminals 1 and 3 or extend the LINK in both directions.

Dead? or deferred?

IIRC, the new CEO was willing to work on this project prior to COVID. Unfortunate the project is dead. Looks like the other options is to extend the Crosstown to Terminals 1 and 3 or extend the LINK in both directions.

I'd say that is a better plan anyway, I've never gotten the point of diverting the railway corridor to a new transit terminal at the airport, that would still require a shuttle to get to the terminals, especially when there is no corridor available for the railway to get to the airport, requiring tunnels, A shuttle from the new station at Woodbine would do fine, it could even be the Finch LRT running along the UPX spur. There is also room to bring the Crosstown into Terminal 1, or the parking garage.

Do not think short term.

The Spanish Flu in 1918 killed 50,000 Canadians (population at the time: 8,788,483). So far, COVID-19 has killed 11,265 (population today: 37,742,154).

The Spanish Flu was followed by the 1920's economic boom. The Pearson Transit Hub will be needed in the LONG TERM.

Seems like Metrolinx wants a hub in the area. If not with GTAA I guess it will be Renforth.

According to Metrolinx, they are still actively developing the planned connection from Renforth to Pearson for the Eglinton West LRT with the GTAA. I wonder how this affects this project.

'' Metrolinx is also actively developing options for a planned connection from Renforth to Toronto Pearson Airport in partnership with the Greater Toronto Airports Authority.''

According to Metrolinx, they are still actively developing the planned connection from Renforth to Pearson for the Eglinton West LRT with the GTAA. I wonder how this affects this project.

'' Metrolinx is also actively developing options for a planned connection from Renforth to Toronto Pearson Airport in partnership with the Greater Toronto Airports Authority.''

According to the engage page, an updated business case is under way for the airport extension. Metrolinx and GTAA are working on the business case as well as close collaboration with the City of Mississauga, Peel and Toronto.

Last edited:

Back