News   Apr 25, 2024
 301     0 
News   Apr 25, 2024
 972     3 
News   Apr 25, 2024
 1K     0 

Toronto Pearson International Airport

What passport where you on? I've seen huge differences at various Heathrow terminals for a EU passport versus a non-EU passport.

With my non-EU wife I realized that bringing her with me in the EU queue (what queue?) was much, much faster - and never any complaints from anyone there about doing that (in fact, I started doing that after we entered the US on one occasion, with her in the US queue, and me on the non-US queue, and we got a lecture for not going through the same queue, if we were travelling together - despite the signage!).
Not familiar with the US experience, "wife" might give you preference, but for the UK, it's exactly my experience too, to the point of feeling guilty of just waving you through. For all the news stories of terror alerts and security, I've often found the "UK and EU" lines *unmanned*! I've had to look around to find someone, as I don't want to be chased down by an armed guard for skipping it.

Quite often where they just glance at you and nod, they're reading demeanour, or looking for a known description of someone and it's not you.

What passport where you on? I've seen huge differences at various Heathrow terminals for a EU passport versus a non-EU passport.

With my non-EU wife I realized that bringing her with me in the EU queue (what queue?) was much, much faster - and never any complaints from anyone there about doing that (in fact, I started doing that after we entered the US on one occasion, with her in the US queue, and me on the non-US queue, and we got a lecture for not going through the same queue, if we were travelling together - despite the signage!).
Plain old Canadian Passport for me, I was actually in shock at how quickly I was processed. The only 2 questions I was asked was literally: how long was I visiting for, and who was I going to visit/for what purpose.

Had it been U.S immgration in Canada or in the U.S, they would have interrogated the living daylights out of me like they normally subject everyone to, which is the reason I decided to get NEXUS in the end.

Plain old Canadian Passport for me, I was actually in shock at how quickly I was processed. The only 2 questions I was asked was literally: how long was I visiting for, and who was I going to visit/for what purpose.
Probably good timing ... though that they ask questions is probably part of the reason it's slower I'd think. I don't recall any questions ... travelling alone on a EU passport, it felt more like flashing my TTC metropass to the station attendant than lining up to enter Canada or the USA!

At Heathrow, the customs agent questioned me quite extensively despite my Canadian passport.

When I went via Gatwick in 2017 I got questioned in depth using my Canadian Passport. I actually started wondering if I would even be admitted into the UK.
Gosh ... I virtually get waved through the US border after the where you are going and why question. I guess 2 small kids and they see from the scan, that I keep visiting for a week and leaving ...

... oh wait, it's my wife's US passport that's getting me through painlessly ... I should have realized that.

When I used to have a work permit, the US weren't particularly happy about the Cambodian visa I used to have ... or the Indian one oddly - though sometimes I think they just are looking at ways to make you talk, and see if something weird happens.

We give this city and it’s built environment a lot of flack but I’ve had some return experiences where you are just hit by jarring sweeping mundane brilliance of the place with Pearson being the first such impression especially arriving at T1. The functionality, the wide open empty everything, the smell and sound of nothing, the cool fresh air. It’s like a sensory deprivation chamber compared to most corners of the world including many of our Western peers.

We give this city and it’s built environment a lot of flack but I’ve had some return experiences where you are just hit by jarring sweeping mundane brilliance of the place with Pearson being the first such impression especially arriving at T1. The functionality, the wide open empty everything, the smell and sound of nothing, the cool fresh air. It’s like a sensory deprivation chamber compared to most corners of the world including many of our Western peers.

There is something very indescribably comfortable about returning to Toronto/Canada after a trip abroad - and I think you captured it well.

AoD

There is something very indescribably comfortable about returning to Toronto/Canada after a trip abroad - and I think you captured it well.

AoD

The sheer amount of space! That there's enough room to drive one's car ?

There is space, and then there is something about not being "assaulted" visually, aurally and olfactorily. Something to be said about boring I suppose.

(note - international departure at T1 is still a zoo)

AoD

Even on rural roads and expressways, you realize how extra-wide all the lanes are here. It makes you wonder why we don't just narrow many of them. After a long time in the UK, I find myself no longer driving in the centre of the lane on a highway, but too close to the line on the driver side.

Is it just me or is Pearson security very lax? When I arrived, other than scanning our passports and getting the receipts, everyone was waved through customs without a second glance. We didn't even have to go through x-rays or metal detectors.

Is it just me or is Pearson security very lax? When I arrived, other than scanning our passports and getting the receipts, everyone was waved through customs without a second glance. We didn't even have to go through x-rays or metal detectors.

Too lax, too strict, you can never win. CBSA has to balance processing speed with catching neer do wells. I believe that they have started treating Canadian passport holders more loosely* and instead have focused efforts on those people entering from known problem countries. So if you are a Canadian citizen and not coming from an area known for crime, drugs, etc, you will be given the red carpet treatment.

*provided you have a clean record.

It sounds like you were arriving. You don't go through security upon arrival; security is for the flight -the one you just got off of.

It sounds like you were arriving. You don't go through security upon arrival; security is for the flight -the one you just got off of.

Well yes, but it is the border after all. Just seemed too lax for me.

Back