News   Apr 24, 2024
 287     0 
News   Apr 24, 2024
 497     0 
News   Apr 24, 2024
 481     0 

Toronto Pearson International Airport

^And it very well may be! I'm not trying to impose bias here, just stating the facts as to what I see on a regular basis at Pearson.

I just had another good baggage reclaim experience at T1. It took exactly 21 minutes for my bags to appear on the carousel, from the time I deplaned from an incoming AC flight from Lisbon. Admittedly it was mid-afternoon and T1 wasn’t that busy. But still, I’ve had two remarkably good baggage reclaim experiences in two months. Have YYZ and Mapleflot finally gotten their T1 baggage act together, or was I just lucky?

Wonder what effect Air Canada's proposed purchase of Air Transat will have on operations at YYZ.

Transat operates out of T3 and while there is bound to be some consolidation on routes served by both AC/ACr and Transat moving even some of those flights out of T3 and into the already crowded T1 is bound to create an additional crunch on an already gate constrained terminal.

T3 loses a pretty significant domestic tenant, leaving only WestJet, and Sunwing there as domestic airlines with a large mix of international airlines

Wonder what effect Air Canada's proposed purchase of Air Transat will have on operations at YYZ.

Transat operates out of T3 and while there is bound to be some consolidation on routes served by both AC/ACr and Transat moving even some of those flights out of T3 and into the already crowded T1 is bound to create an additional crunch on an already gate constrained terminal.

T3 loses a pretty significant domestic tenant, leaving only WestJet, and Sunwing there as domestic airlines with a large mix of international airlines

The new pier G (Gate 193 expansion) will be finished before the merger is approved and integration occurs.

Last edited:

Knowing Air Canada i'd suspect they'd want to completely "fold" operations into their own operations (ie: the Air Transat brand would cease to exist). If that were to happen all flights would be moved to T1.

This is all dependant on if the purchase actually happens (there's a 1 month exclusive negotiation period for Air Canada so we'll see by early-mid June at the latest).

Do we have any new timelines for future Pearson gateside expansions? I haven't heard anything from them in a while.

Pier G construction started about 18 months ago and is very thrifty so ought to be done in another year.

I don't know of a timeline for Pier H if that's what you mean.

Pier G construction started about 18 months ago and is very thrifty so ought to be done in another year.

Ah, I guess it's not going to be anywhere as nice as Pier E? Should we expect something not unlike the Infield Terminal?

Ah, I guess it's not going to be anywhere as nice as Pier E? Should we expect something not unlike the Infield Terminal?

If it's anything like the existing/open portion (gate 193) then something like the Infield Terminal would be a huge improvement. That said, even that warehouse beats standing on the tarmac waiting for a bus when it's raining which is pretty common for European discount carriers.

Last edited:

I don't know of a timeline for Pier H if that's what you mean.
Rumors on timeline I found:

whywhyzee said:
G gates open June 21st, jetbridges will not be available until September or October, so the 5 new gates will be ground loading temporarily as work is completed.

Pier H work is underway, the foundation area is being prepped.
https://www.airliners.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1412119&start=200#p21350779

An AC-TS wouldn't just mean contracted competition in the airline market but also the package holiday business, presumably.

I wonder whether Porter has given thought to making an overture to Onex. Onex might have a problem with the family succession plan though: https://ca.travelpulse.com/news/airlines/porter-airlines-announces-new-ceo.html

I have doubts the merger would get approved. Rouge and Transat are direct competitors. It would provide an unfair advantage to AC.

AC would not have put 40M$ on the table just to lose it.

No but the government can nix the deal. They have done it before.

News outlets are already proclaiming how the merger would sharply reduce competition on key routes. The competition bureau needs to approve the takeover and given the near monopoly on the market I can see there being a stink raised. Unlike Sunwing there are really only two discount carriers in Canada heading to Europe, South and Central America which are Transat and Rouge. Merge the two and things get expensive quickly as you really have only Westjet heading outside Canada at that point.

Back