News   Apr 18, 2024
 716     0 
News   Apr 18, 2024
 6.7K     2 
News   Apr 18, 2024
 2.5K     4 

Toronto PATH Retail

That's presumably why construction isn't scheduled to commence until 2015 (see comments above), although even in the normal course a project of this nature could very well take that long to get underway. But when it's approved, budgeted, and the design work is underway, it's confusing to suggest that there are no plans to construct it.

I agree that the first phase doesn't accomplish much. It doesn't do anything to achieve the main objective, which was to relieve pressure on the NE link.

Last edited:
That's presumably why construction isn't scheduled to commence until 2015 (see comments above), although even in the normal course a project of this nature could very well take that long to get underway. But when it's approved, budgeted, and the design work is underway, it's confusing to suggest that there are no plans to construct it.

Well no one really suggested it would not be constructed, simply that it shouldn't be on the map that's already full of so many lables and lines when it's 1, 2, or maybe more years from being done. A look at city records for the short section under construction now shows it has been significantly delayed because the approved design was not adequate, and the approved funding was not sufficient. The original design had no elevator to get out, only stairs, which was a huge oversight by someone. I don't know if the tunnel up to Wellington has been properly re-evaluated to see if it's design is good enough.

I agree that the first phase doesn't accomplish much. It doesn't do anything to achieve the main objective, which was to relieve pressure on the NE link.

I'm not sure it can even acheive that objective if it ends at Wellington. The link to the TD Centre dumps you into it's foodcourt where I believe you have to double back a ways east to start going west, or even to to get to escalators up to a place to get into the actual buildings. On the opposite side, if you're going west via the proposed link through the HSBC building, it leads into a rather narrow, barren, hallway, which then goes into into a crowded foodcourt without much spare space. It's going to be really tight to accommodate additional pedestrians through there.

It needs to get all the way up to King Street to make a real difference.

Last edited:
I haven't heard about the project being cancelled. I assume it's going to require tearing up the middle of York and Wellington, and I was under the impression any major works that are not yet underway are going to be pushed out until after the PanAm games. If they are tunneling without digging up the street, than maybe they can get it done in a year.

There will be a portal at the wedge shaped area between York and University, opposite side of the street from the Royal York entrance on York. This will connect into the new GO concourse. It's not much considering all the work, but it will make it much easier to get into the station than going through that rather complicated Front/York/University intersection, which a lot of people jaywalk unsafely in the rush to make their train.

any idea if the portal will be on the street or in the building (1 University) with the Second Cup in it?

You said there were no plans to construct it. To most people, that means what it says - there are no plans to construct it. What you presumably meant to say was that it isn't going to be completed imminently. Debatable whether 2-3 years is imminent or not for public infrastructure in this City.

any idea if the portal will be on the street or in the building (1 University) with the Second Cup in it?

It's on the street. If you're in the area, two new structures have recently become visible, even from well outside the construction area; likely frames for glasd canopies or enclosures of the portal entrances.

The former Nestle Toll House location in Metro Centre is to become a Starbuck's. This would be the third new Starbuck's (on top of the existing two) to go in this immediate area in the last month.

The former Nestle Toll House location in Metro Centre is to become a Starbuck's. This would be the third new Starbuck's (on top of the existing two) to go in this immediate area in the last month.

250px-Starbucks.png

Looks like the renovations to First Canadian Place have finally reached the food court; several restaurants (the greek place, Szechuan Szechuan, the other greek place) have been drywalled off. I assume they'll do the reno in stages so the office drones still have somewhere to feed while work goes on.

Looks like the renovations to First Canadian Place have finally reached the food court; several restaurants (the greek place, Szechuan Szechuan, the other greek place) have been drywalled off. I assume they'll do the reno in stages so the office drones still have somewhere to feed while work goes on.

It's been like that for a couple of months now. According to their website, Szechuan Szechuan seems to be closed permanently (looks like the focus will be on their Szechuan Express stores, at least downtown).

The Rexall at Metro Centre is expanding and renovating. It is currently a bit cramped and still has the PharmaPlus look to it. It looks like it will be ~40% larger as they've taken over the kitchen store next door too.

More FCP drywallings in the Food Court as of a couple of weeks ago, and more closures. The Swiss Chalet is now walled off. Signs are out talking about constructing a new bridge between the two sides of the food court, whatever that means. There is apparently a Dr. Bernstein diet clinic open down past where the sit-down Greek place used to be. Have no idea whether that's new or not.

More FCP drywallings in the Food Court as of a couple of weeks ago, and more closures. The Swiss Chalet is now walled off. Signs are out talking about constructing a new bridge between the two sides of the food court, whatever that means. There is apparently a Dr. Bernstein diet clinic open down past where the sit-down Greek place used to be. Have no idea whether that's new or not.

Dr. B has been there for, at least, 10 years.

I believe the bridge is for better traffic flow between the up and down escalators (they are separated by the atrium overlooking the lower levels). The diet clinic has been there for a long time.

Back