Toronto Ontario Line 3 | ?m | ?s

In this 100% reliable illustration of what will occur there seems to be a pedestrian crossing.

6817-70654.jpeg

I thought that possibility of cross-platform transfer no longer exist, with the realignment of the OL tracks.

AoD
Reread what you quoted. They are saying there will be a cross-platform transfer only in one direction instead of both directions like the old plan. That is written in the article and then it continues:
In the other direction, transit riders would go down an escalator, under the Ontario Line and back up to the other GO train — about a 30-second transfer, he said.

That suggests that for the OL, there will be an island platform connected in both directions, but also trains for one direction will open their doors facing one of the Go train platforms as well.
But we will see.

Reread what you quoted. They are saying there will be a cross-platform transfer only in one direction instead of both directions like the old plan. That is written in the article and then it continues:
It should also be noted that the cross-platform transfer will be from north-east on the Ontario Line to westbound on the GO line. So really, not of any use at all.

Dan

Why don’t they just switch the trains around then
How?

You realize that this will require at least a pair of flyovers for either the Ontario Line or the heavy-rail GO trains to cross over from their normal operating method - right-handed, like auto traffic - to opposite what they normally operate and back, right?

This is not inconsequential, and may rival the cost of another station.

Dan

How?

You realize that this will require at least a pair of flyovers for either the Ontario Line or the heavy-rail GO trains to cross over from their normal operating method - right-handed, like auto traffic - to opposite what they normally operate and back, right?

This is not inconsequential, and may rival the cost of another station.

Dan
No, why don’t they have OL trains on the left hand side for the whole line so that we have good cross-platform transfers at East Harbour

Ironically, the opposite-way transfer may be more popular than the same-way transfer during the peak period; assuming that LSW and LSE GO services interline.

Opposite-way: during the PM rush, a rider wants to travel West on GO, but first takes a short eastbound ride on OL to East Harbor. There they board the westbound Lakeshore GO train, which is not very full (counter-peak). At Union, that train fills up, but our smart rider already has a seat.

If the transfer is same-way, OL trains running on the left track: at the first glance it seems appealing for someone riding LSE GO towards downtown in the AM rush to transfer to OL and bypass Union. But the problem is that the east/southbound OL is pretty full at East Harbor during the AM rush. Our GO rider tries that transfer a few times, and realizes that squeezing into the OL train isn't an easy task; going through Union is a lesser hassle.

No, why don’t they have OL trains on the left hand side for the whole line so that we have good cross-platform transfers at East Harbour

Yeah this is what I'm thinking. Run the whole thing left-hand side. Failing that, do wonder if they could re-plan this section and actually elevate it above the tracks so the station straddles GO's below. One-level transfer for all vs a double and a level. And the views would be way better.

Yeah this is what I'm thinking. Run the whole thing left-hand side. Failing that, do wonder if they could re-plan this section and actually elevate it above the tracks so the station straddles GO's below. One-level transfer for all vs a double and a level. And the views would be way better.
Running on left-hand side would only confuse the poor computers running the trains. 😄

Won't someone think about the poor computers!🖥️

The Evergreen Line had a "wrong-railed/left-running" section when it first opened in 2016 so that both Vancouver-bound tracks/trains would land at the same platform at Lougheed Station, but that was abandoned a few years later and changed to right-running (the inter-lined trains from Braid Station were only going one more station to Production Way, so no great loss except maybe for SFU students)

The Evergreen Line had a "wrong-railed/left-running" section when it first opened in 2016 so that both Vancouver-bound tracks/trains would land at the same platform at Lougheed Station, but that was abandoned a few years later and changed to right-running (the inter-lined trains from Braid Station were only going one more station to Production Way, so no great loss except maybe for SFU students)

Yeah the only reason they switched it was going between regular and left hand running required a lot of switching, all left hand would hypothetically be fine

I just got a notification from Metrolinx that my house is within 30m of a new transit corridor (Ontario Line) and that they would be putting a note on my legal title to that effect.
They must be defining the new corridor width pretty generously because I am about 160m from the current corridor.
You can click on my location to see my approximate address.
There are also restrictions on what changes I can make to my property.

Sorry if this has been mentioned previously, I checked back a couple pages and didn't see anything.

I just got a notification from Metrolinx that my house is within 30m of a new transit corridor (Ontario Line) and that they would be putting a note on my legal title to that effect.
They must be defining the new corridor width pretty generously because I am about 160m from the current corridor.

Sorry if this has been mentioned previously, I checked back a couple pages and didn't see anything.

It was in the news awhile ago:

Back in March, so a lot further back in this thread.

AoD

Keep us posted please!

Back