Toronto Ontario Line 3 | ?m | ?s

Are diamonds rarely built for Subways/underground rail? One at Bloor-Yonge would be kind of beneficial, but I would guess that th cost to benefit of it would be tiny. A wye would probably be a bit more cost beneficial, but probably still not as much as triple platforming both levels.

Diamonds are okay where you have crossing traffic passing every 10 minutes or so. When you start to get down to the headways of a subway system - and the fact that they need to be interlocked in all directions - it becomes a humongous hindrance and bottleneck.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

Diamonds are okay where you have crossing traffic passing every 10 minutes or so. When you start to get down to the headways of a subway system - and the fact that they need to be interlocked in all directions - it becomes a humongous hindrance and bottleneck.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.
I mean a grade separated diamond though.

Hey, now we're talking. So put the money where the mouth is. Good luck on that. You're absolutely right. The province should build it's own separate RER line to serve the core and tie east, west and north together across Toronto.

How's that SSE coming along there?

Btw: I was speaking to an architect involved in the design of the SSE (or at least preliminary, it also is unfunded) and an "EEB" (the term she used) 'Emergency exit building' that is situated at mid-point along the length is being done with being turned into a station at a later point in time. Curious...forward thinking, for a project that has no funding. How Toronto can you get?

Subway_chart1-1.jpg

What possible sense would it make to be able to route trains in any direction around a "diamond" at Yonge-Bloor?

The operational benefits would be zilch, the existing connections at St George are sufficient to move equipment around when needed. And, as noted, it would be darned expensive to build. I can't see any value added.

- Paul

Now that the Feds have funded the DRL, what's it gonna take for the Province to pledge their share? Are they just waiting for the election?

I have a feeling the likely Conservative govt. is going to cancel a ton of transit capital budgets, not add to them. We're on the cusp of finally getting the major transit plans we desperately need but it might all be denied if the Tories form the next Ontario government.

I bet the gears are moving in the background as the reports are being prepared and progress moves along towards the inevitable Tory-Wynne-Del Duca press conference on the eve of the 2018 election.

From CBC, at this link:

Mayor John Tory says $4.8B of federal transit funding is on the way
TTC Chair says announcement comes with demand for province to share costs

Mayor John Tory says he's "thrilled" with a letter from the federal infrastructure minister that shows Toronto will get billions for future public transit projects and the province will be forced to match one-third of the costs.

Based on funding formulas, the city is expecting to get nearly $5 billion to spend on the Downtown Relief Line (DRL), SmartTrack, the Eglinton East LRT and Waterfront transit.

"This is a huge victory for Toronto and will lead to better transit for the entire region," Tory said in a news release...
I think this means that maybe, perhaps, knock wood, cross-your-fingers, I hope, that the Queen Street subway, announced in 1946, might actually finally happen. :rolleyes:

Last edited:

A diamond is a very specific piece of trackwork that allows two lines to cross each other at the same level.

A grade separation is just a grade separation. And what already exists in all locations on the subway.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

Details are still lacking on this. From Inside Toronto:
[...]
The funding is not without strings attached. Provincial governments must match spending, and the projects must show benefit to the environment and the economy – which is to say job creation.

In Toronto, there are a number of unfunded projects that might be eligible, said TTC Chair Josh Colle in a statement.

The money could go to Line 2 modernization as well as new Toronto Rocket subway cars, and help pay for projects like the Eglinton East and West LRTs, the Downtown Relief subway line, Smart Track and Waterfront Transit, wrote Colle.

“This multi-billion dollar investment will help the TTC address our long list of overdue transit plans and the city’s goals to reduce congestion, shorten commute times, reduce pollution and grow our economy,” said Colle in his statement.
[...]
https://www.insidetoronto.com/news-...l-help-toronto-build-transit-says-mayor-tory/

Now that the Feds have funded the DRL, what's it gonna take for the Province to pledge their share? Are they just waiting for the election?

I have a feeling the likely Conservative govt. is going to cancel a ton of transit capital budgets, not add to them. We're on the cusp of finally getting the major transit plans we desperately need but it might all be denied if the Tories form the next Ontario government.
Agreed on QP holding back, but the Feds have not specified any *direct* funding for the Relief Line. It's contingent on a number of factors, and comes as a general lump sum. In the event, it's looking more likely with time that the Libs will be the next gov't in QP, even if a minority.

If it's grade-separated it wouldn't be level and thus no longer have the defining "diamond" shape. I guess it'd be a wye or flying junction (with flyovers/flyunders). If you want to see why it's called a diamond, look no further than a true grand union. Instead of just one measly diamond we get nine!

Edit: or wait, I guess any streetcar crossing has that. But still, there's many diamond-like shapes in the mix.

grand-union-spadina-king-2.png

Attachments

• grand-union-spadina-king-2.png
    grand-union-spadina-king-2.png
    877.5 KB · Views: 263
Last edited:
A diamond is a very specific piece of trackwork that allows two lines to cross each other at the same level.

A grade separation is just a grade separation. And what already exists in all locations on the subway.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.
I mean something like this but with subway tracks.
1200px-Diamond_interchange_dual.svg.png

And mostly symmetrical for both levels.

Edit: actually, a Stack Interchange but for trains.

Back