Toronto Ontario Line 3 | ?m | ?s

Just up at Global:
July 6, 2017 2:23 pm
Toronto to receive more than half of Ontario’s $8.34B share of federal transit funding
By Staff The Canadian Press

Toronto Mayor John Tory says he’s delighted the city will get more than half of $8.34 billion in infrastructure funds the federal government is allocating to Ontario – but only if the province ponies up its own cash.

Toronto is set to receive about $4.8 billion for its transit network expansion plan, including major projects of a subway relief line, a surface rail Smart Track plan, light-rail transit on Eglinton East and waterfront transit.

READ MORE: Toronto to receive $840M of federal funding to improve public transit

But the funding is contingent on the province funding at least 33 per cent of the costs, and Tory is calling on Ontario to go beyond that, with a 40-40-20 cost sharing.

Tory says he doesn’t yet know where Toronto’s 20 per cent share would come from, since the provincial Liberal government denied him the power to impose road tolls – a decision that has soured the relationship between the two levels of government.

Even so, Tory says he would be astounded if the province left billions of dollars on the table by saying they won’t commit to providing 33 per cent of the funding.

Transportation Minister Steven Del Duca has not yet responded.
http://globalnews.ca/news/3579034/toronto-federal-transit-funding/

Whether the Feds are co-ordinating with QP Libs or not on this is a good question...Tory is never satisfied, and blames his fiscal woes all on QP.

This guy Tory is always finding a way to blame the province. Why doesnt he also ask them to fund the whole of the city's portion?

Toronto transit funding is great news, right? Not so fast, the city now has to find more than $4 billion: Keenan

The city has to match funds with Ottawa and Queen’s Park to get its share. But no one yet knows where that money will come from.

[...]
And yet, it comes with bad news for the premier of Ontario and the mayor of Toronto, too. For as much as it represents a 33 to 40 per cent share of Toronto’s most pressing transit construction plans — the relief subway line, the Eglinton East LRT, the waterfront LRT, SmartTrack — for the heads of the more local governments, it is also a bill.
[...]
https://www.thestar.com/news/gta/20...w-has-to-find-more-than-4-billion-keenan.html

I trust this isn't "off topic" and thus summarily removed?

Actually, the funding thread would be a far, far better fit given the multiple projects this would affect - it's not a DRL specific issue.

MoD

Agreed on QP holding back, but the Feds have not specified any *direct* funding for the Relief Line. It's contingent on a number of factors, and comes as a general lump sum. In the event, it's looking more likely with time that the Libs will be the next gov't in QP, even if a minority.

I'm more optimistic than before that we might have a Liberal minority which I think is for the best. A minority govt. would allow for renewal, replacing both leaders of Liberal and NDP parties and working together to keep the government running while they each complete their leadership transitions.

A Conservative govt. could be catastrophic for the progress we've made on getting transit funded. This is why I wish the Liberals would put their political calculations aside and fund the damn thing now and start implementing Relief Line, Waterfront transit and Eglinton East and West LRT measures that can't be easily undone should the PCs get into power.

I'm more optimistic than before that we might have a Liberal minority which I think is for the best. A minority govt. would allow for renewal, replacing both leaders of Liberal and NDP parties and working together to keep the government running while they each complete their leadership transitions.

A Conservative govt. could be catastrophic for the progress we've made on getting transit funded. This is why I wish the Liberals would put their political calculations aside and fund the damn thing now and start implementing Relief Line, Waterfront transit and Eglinton East and West LRT measures that can't be easily undone should the PCs get into power.

So true. That why I may have vote NDP, if the Liberals don't fix themselves by election day.

This guy Tory is always finding a way to blame the province. Why doesnt he also ask them to fund the whole of the city's portion?

I like Tory a fair bit. But my view on this is he's working alongside Wynne, and his short-pants stance is actually a ploy to help her and the party's numbers. Think about it, he's lobbing it to them. Everyone outside TO hates the 416, generally with a passion. So what better way to make any sitting Prov party look good? Easily get them to say a resounding "no" to Toronto. Maybe they'll lose a few Toronto seats, but they'd gain a heckuva lot more elsewhere by keeping up the "no" routine. If Tory genuinely wants these projects built he'd start seriously looking at cutting out the Prov entirely and funding their 33 or 40% locally. Which I think we could and should do.

So true. That why I may have vote NDP, if the Liberals don't fix themselves by election day.

NDP, PC, or Green. Who cares if the Liberals "fix" themselves. They still haven't been taught a lesson for the gas plant scandal, which made Mike Harris look like Ghandi. They lost my votes many moons ago.

I mean something like this but with subway tracks.
1200px-Diamond_interchange_dual.svg.png

And mostly symmetrical for both levels.

Edit: actually, a Stack Interchange but for trains.

So, like what exists at Bay/St. George/Museum then. Or at Sheppard/Yonge.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

I guess you can look at it that way, but instead of just 1 or 2 connections, 4 connections.

Ok, so if it were built, what would it be used for? Three separate routings? That would be very challenging to operate. People would have to wait multiple trains to get the one they need. The flows aren't uniform, so some trains would be filled and others less so.

- Paul

Ok, so if it were built, what would it be used for? Three separate routings? That would be very challenging to operate. People would have to wait multiple trains to get the one they need. The flows aren't uniform, so some trains would be filled and others less so.

- Paul

Exactly. It's just not worth the hassle or cost of doing that kind of thing.

Look at the streetcar network. Even though there are some curves that would be beneficial if they were installed, there isn't a need to install every single possible curve at every single intersection. That would be wasteful.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

There were slides from a different program which relate to this program, specifically the development potential and offpeak usage lies the bureaucrats were throwing around to ram everything through. Office workers better get out of their wheelchairs/walkers and get fit.

Source: City of Toronto
untitled-10.png

untitled-11.png

Attachments

• untitled-10.png
    untitled-10.png
    71.4 KB · Views: 230
  • untitled-11.png
    untitled-11.png
    253.1 KB · Views: 271
I still think it would be a huge mistake for Toronto to make the DRL with third track. They should use catenary subways so that RER could also use the service. Expanding the DRL north of Eglinton would be a breeze and MUCH cheaper using the current Richmond Hill rail line than tunneling to Sheppard. Also it gives RER a much needed relief thru the core than relying on just Union. RER will probably overtake the subways in ridership within 30 years and Toronto has to plan for that.

RER overtaking subways? To do that GO would need to experience roughly 500% growth. RER is expected to increase ridership by a comparatively meager 100%. It's not happening.

I still think it would be a huge mistake for Toronto to make the DRL with third track. They should use catenary subways so that RER could also use the service. Expanding the DRL north of Eglinton would be a breeze and MUCH cheaper using the current Richmond Hill rail line than tunneling to Sheppard. Also it gives RER a much needed relief thru the core than relying on just Union. RER will probably overtake the subways in ridership within 30 years and Toronto has to plan for that.
The tunneling costs would be massive to the point of being prohibitively expensive, no?

Back