Toronto Ontario Line 3 | ?m | ?s

John Tory is being exposed for the bad leader that he is. He is an empty suit.

Yep.

He seems like nothing more than Ford's lackey.

Didn't stand up for the city when Ford reduced council, and now he's doing the same thing with transit.

Nobody realized that because the terminal location is not known yet on the Ontario/Ex Place grounds. Could be anywhere there.

Surely the TTC can run shuttles from the terminal to key locations on the sites or lay additional streetcar tracks to properly service Exhibition Grounds as a whole.

The subway connecting to Exhibition GO Station is a must

Is there a thread for discussing all these plans on a Macro level?

I"m not sure why the Mods merged the announcement thread into this thread.

This plan is a decidedly very good one and how ANYONE could bitch about it is beyond imagination and is doing so strictly fpr political points or a standard Ford bashing session.
The plan is good because it prioritizes the Relief Line and might actually get a government to commit funding to get shovels in the ground.

I'm not fussed about the choice of technology, besides the implications it could have for service capacity and frequency, that should never be anything besides a question for engineers.

I think there are many question marks regarding the alignment, and especially the western terminus at Ontario Place.

John Tory is being exposed for the bad leader that he is. He is an empty suit.

You let a bully push you around, he will continue to push you around. That's what's happening to Tory and the City of Toronto right now. Tory is spineless.

I have always criticized what has been going on with Toronto's transit. But even if I didn't like it, at least it was Toronto's plan. The province under Wynne worked together with the city, but now under Ford the city has lost any control. Very different styles of governing. Ford might as well be mayor and city council of Toronto.

You let a bully push you around, he will continue to push you around. That's what's happening to Tory and the City of Toronto right now. Tory is spineless.

I have always criticized what has been going on with Toronto's transit. But even if I didn't like it, at least it was Toronto's plan. The province under Wynne worked together with the city, but now under Ford the city has lost any control. Very different styles of governing. Ford might as well be mayor and city council of Toronto.

Honestly the Mayor's office and city council almost serve no purpose at this point. Except maybe for garbage collection?

I don't agree with it but that's how it looks.

Yeah, I'm still searching on that, the more I dig, the more nebulous it becomes. In all fairness, some stories do allude to how undefined the whole thing is, and Chris Hume stating what I did earlier, in a justified moment of cynicism:

This really sticks out:

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/doug-ford-toronto-subway-upload-gta-transit-plan-1.5090394?__vfz=medium=sharebar

Ford will have a new alias dealing with the loan sharks: "Ben Dover". He's not being just coy...he's just itching to get called on this.
Which raises another interesting possibility. Uploading the Ex...
It's a political move for sure. He's clearly anti-Trudeau and doesn't want them to look good.

Where they are there or not is irrelevant. The program and its criteria are clearly defined and all the province needs to do is to submit its plan to get funding.

As for the city, he's aware that council doesn't have much choice while having the "yes" man Tory in there ensures that he does his part on the council side

Whatever one thinks of this plan........its obviously been in the works for some time...............

All the while, good money has been spent on detailed plans for the RL which will, it would seem, at the very least be altered.

If the government knew it was going to do this, say, six months ago...........why not order a freeze on the detailed design of the City's RL proposal?

I wonder how much of the Relief Line design work is being used, as a decent portion of the routing remains unaltered.

At the same time, I wonder how much design work has been done for the RL to this point? There was a good amount of radio silence over the last few months.

I wonder how much of the Relief Line design work is being used, as a decent portion of the routing remains unaltered.

At the same time, I wonder how much design work has been done for the RL to this point? There was a good amount of radio silence over the last few months.
Isn’t the RLS at 2% design (Class 5) at this weeks TTC board meeting? I would assume most of the EA can be used as the route section that overlaps is basically the same and I believe EA and soil studies include all elevations underground(?).

Isn’t the RLS at 2% design (Class 5) at this weeks TTC board meeting? I would assume most of the EA can be used as the route section that overlaps is basically the same and I believe EA and soil studies include all elevations underground(?).
And isn't Ford going to shorten the ea process?

And will the unions insist that the trains have a driver that doesn’t actually drive the train but will just sit there with their obligatory bowl of soup, and perhaps now with a smartphone.

Even though the unions excuse can’t be about cutting existing jobs since no DRL jobs have been created yet.

That is the Toronto TTC union.

They will have no power over the construction of a provincial project.

TTC will be in charge of running the subway, but control and ownership will be under the province. This is part of the "efficiencies" that come with uploading the subway to the province. All of these little annoyances go away.

As far as the funding PPP idea, that also is a good one. There are 3 primary advantages......1}It lessens the amount governments have to put towards the project. 2} Makes the project eligible for the huge Canadian infrastructure bank which greatly is geared towards PPP. 3} The damn things come in on time and on budget.

The last one is crucial as exemplified on the Canada Line. The government sets all the parameters and once they do the private sector takes over. This guarantees 3 things.1} the line will get built. 2} It will be built on time. 3} It will come in on budget.
With the Canada Line there were VERY strict budget and time parameters with exceptional heavy {and on-going} penalties if the project was late and any extra cost overruns were the 100% the responsibility of the private partner......……..needless to say it came in on budget and opened 4 months AHEAD of schedule. It conversely guaranteed that the dam thing got built because the PPP also guaranteed the contract with very heavy {and on-going} penalties if the government back out which guaranteed that one government couldn't start it and the next one stop it.

This plan is a decidedly very good one and how ANYONE could bitch about it is beyond imagination and is doing so strictly fpr political points or a standard Ford bashing session.
I wonder if Vancouver knew that cut-and-cover would lead to some complaints - but they would allow it in the PPP since they knew it would save enough money to make it worth the complaints.
I suspect that they did not foresee the short 40m stations though.

Wow look, a rapid transit map that includes GO lines! So it can be done. Someone alert the TTC!

The Toronto Transit plan has GO lines too!

Back