Toronto Ontario Line 3 | ?m | ?s

Didn't know you could get elevation numbers like that from Google. But yeah the elevation changes are some of the largest in the city and I think it's safe to say that crossing with a tunnel is out of the question. Which I think is great because bridges are generally less expensive than tunneling, but most importantly they can be a fantastic feature. If we ever do get this thing to Eglinton or beyond - or built at all - we'll get some great views while riding. And bridges are usually well received by the public.

Want to post this bare bones 1m contour map since it brings it home how much of a chasm the Valley is here. And it's a great map from the fellows at MapTO. I edited in the RL Long which may not be accurate.

View attachment 138478
Original map by Tom Weatherburn and William Davis, located at http://www.mapto.ca/maps/toronto-elevation-at-1m-countours

How long would this bridge be, approximately?

And I hope we don’t cheap out on the bridge design!

Probably around 500m to clear the valley, and would be located a few hundred metres to the west of the Millwood Bridge.

A nice Cable Stayed bridge, anyone?

I hope so. Toronto doesn't have any beautiful bridges. It's a damn shame. A cable stayed bridge through the valley would make for some pretty awesome skyline pics. And maybe the top could be decked over with a pedestrian and bike path.

I hope so. Toronto doesn't have any beautiful bridges. It's a damn shame. A cable stayed bridge through the valley would make for some pretty awesome skyline pics. And maybe the top could be decked over with a pedestrian and bike path.

What about the Prince Edward Viaduct and the Queen Street Viaduct? They are some of the nicest bridges transit travels over.

A cable stayed bridge is to solve an engineering issue (too long of a span for a cantilevered bridge). Not to make it look pretty.

This is exactly why we spend too much per mile on transit capital costs (vs increasing the length of the system). Blow all of the money on things that look pretty and not worry about function or engineering.

A cable stayed bridge is to solve an engineering issue (too long of a span for a cantilevered bridge). Not to make it look pretty.

This is exactly why we spend too much per mile on transit capital costs (vs increasing the length of the system). Blow all of the money on things that look pretty and not worry about function or engineering.

I don’t mind spending money on pretty things. I’d rather not live in an ugly, utilitarian world.

Fair, though I wouldn't be so quick to dismiss beauty either - it is how you spend it for the greatest bang for the buck as well.

AoD

If you look the cluster of towers in the south portion of Thorncliffe its about 100m closer to a don mills / dvp elevated station then to Overlea. Makes it easier to serve Flemingdon too, and eliminates the need for a 500m+ bridge and another 300m bridge that would be partially curved and cost over a billion just for both bridges combined.

Is this kind of bridge possible?
Relief Line Bridge.PNG

Attachments

• Relief Line Bridge.PNG
    Relief Line Bridge.PNG
    2.7 MB · Views: 514
The question is always is it worth the money?
Or is the route that necessitates two highly expensive bridges rational?

I think not. Go up the valley for a stretch, even on raised embankment well above flood level, or up the valley wall in spots to minimize mechanical infrastructure needs, costs, and time to build.

Back