Toronto Ontario Line 3 | ?m | ?s

I'm not sure why you don't think it is "elegant", that bridge is actually quite impressive the design required large clearance from boats underneath AND towers low enough not to interfere with planes going into YVR. Its actually quite a nice piece of engineering.

Engineering challenges necessitating the design solution is one thing - but as cable stayed bridge goes it looked lumpy - and the towers are fairly crude.

AoD

The Fed and Prov infrastructure ministers were both asked directly if this could be used for RL funding and they both said yes.

Of course. There were very few strings on the funding.

My point is the city is still very short on funding to do everything; and SCC is a $6.5B project (including Line 2 SOGR per-requisites) that is less than half funded.

City council is going to have to decide between various projects; some of which have a far higher political cost than others. I don't think the RL will make the cut; not in the short-term.

Anyway, if less than $3B of those funds go to TTC SOGR work I'd be very surprised.

Last edited:
Cable Stayed often is the cheapest option. There is a reason it is popular these days.

The question is if the Don River bridge needs a large singular span - if it does, Cable Stayed will likely happen. If they can go with a lot of smaller spans, they can go with a more traditional bridge form.

I wonder if it would be cheaper to have as few columns as possible - a single tower plus approach viaducts perhaps.

AoD

The other bridge going from Overlea to Don Mills is going to be complicated as well because the curve will have to start halfway across that portion of the valley. I would not be shocked to see this portion come down to Pape - Bridge - Overlea - Bridge - Don Mills or Pape - Don Mills via a elevated section (exiting the tunnel near Wolverton) and elevated station over the northern DVP South loop with a pedestrian bridge connected to the southern Thorncliffe towers.

The other bridge going from Overlea to Don Mills is going to be complicated as well because the curve will have to start halfway across that portion of the valley. I would not be shocked to see this portion come down to Pape - Bridge - Overlea - Bridge - Don Mills or Pape - Don Mills via a elevated section (exiting the tunnel near Wolverton) and elevated station over the northern DVP South loop with a pedestrian bridge connected to the southern Thorncliffe towers.

A curved bridge isn't impossible, one already exists on the Bloor line at Parliament. Also, that bridge is more likely to be able to drop frequent support columns, reducing the issues of a curved bridge.

Its a 90 degree curve - a lot sharper then bloor / parliament. And I imagine the more support pillars the higher the nimby-ism is going to get.

Engineering challenges necessitating the design solution is one thing - but as cable stayed bridge goes it looked lumpy - and the towers are fairly crude.

AoD

Interesting. Appears to be an "extradosed" bridge. Never heard that term before but Wiki says it's a structure which combines the elements of a pre-stressed concrete girder bridge and cable-stayed bridge. Realize that in the past I may've got the North Arm Bridge confused with the Skybridge just because of their general similarities. Even if it looks 'lumpy' with 'crude towers' I'm almost certain a bridge similar to it would go over extremely well here, and from Millwood would become a de facto skyline shot

I don't see an issue. Mapping it out while being very generous with curves, a structure curving from Overlea to Don Mills looks to be a nonissue. Lots of room for approaches, portals, with an arcing bridge structure. What I think is somewhat unanimous is that there won't be a station in south Flemingdon, with the exception of the currently u/c Science Centre Crosstown station at Eglinton.

I don't suppose there's any chance of using the existing Millwood bridge for DRL North (i.e. putting a subway deck underneath the exsiting structure)?

I don't suppose there's any chance of using the existing Millwood bridge for DRL North (i.e. putting a subway deck underneath the exsiting structure)?
I don’t think that’s possible without major modifications and reinforcing. But they can always just close the bridge to cars and put the train on the top deck with less modifications. :p

Interesting. Appears to be an "extradosed" bridge. Never heard that term before but Wiki says it's a structure which combines the elements of a pre-stressed concrete girder bridge and cable-stayed bridge. Realize that in the past I may've got the North Arm Bridge confused with the Skybridge just because of their general similarities. Even if it looks 'lumpy' with 'crude towers' I'm almost certain a bridge similar to it would go over extremely well here, and from Millwood would become a de facto skyline shot

Yeah, the Canada Line North Arm Bridge is an extradosed bridge.
The SkyBridge at New Westminster is a typical cable-stayed bridge.

It should be noted that the Canada Line trains, which use typical steel-on-steel traction,
have difficulties with snow and ice in winter on the 4.5% grade of this bridge.
The linear induction drives on the Bombardier cars do not have problems on the SkyBridge
(not sure what that gradient is).

Here's a write-up on the North Arm Bridge from BranchLine Magazine.
Its design is based on function more than aesthetics.

vfWnxjl.jpg

https://www.bytownrailwaysociety.ca/index.php/branchline

In this pic you can see that the deck is a segmental concrete box girder.

6809698709_f4f86ca230.jpg

https://www.flickr.com/photos/thecanadaline/6809698709

If you compare the SkyBridge, you can easily tell that the thin deck plays no significant supporting role.

1280px-3FraserBridges.jpg

http://www.wikiwand.com/en/Skybridge_(TransLink)

Last edited:
I hear Doug Ford musing about scarborough and sheppard subways. Any chance the RL will be shelved?
The Relief Line wasnt even in DoFo's radar, because as he said before "Downtown has enough subways". If (heaven forbid) he were to be elected as premier, the Relief Line would most likely be postponed indefinitely, and work on the Scarborough and Sheppard subway would be moved ahead in priority.

The Bloor-Danforth line extension would likely be priority #1 since work has already started there, followed by the Sheppard line. Where he would find money for the Sheppard line is anyone's guess.

there is also a all steel extradosed cable bridge in the northwest territories carrying highway 3 called the Deh Cho bridge over the Mackenzie river. Opened in 2012 at a cost around 200m and is a tad over 1km in total length.

That's quite a statement about Flemingdon Park. You must be a member of the Relief Line Project team.

You know what, that was pretty stupid of me to have made an assumption like that. It just seems that north of the curve from Overlea to Don Mills it's under a km to Eglinton/Science Ctr station, which *may* be deemed by Mlinx to be a bit close for a station. But obviously we're building very close station spacing for Crosstown, so no reason it can't be done here. And certainly isn't "unanimous". Will edit that out of my post. Anyone know how to do strikethrough on here?

Back