Toronto Ontario Line 3 | ?m | ?s

Does the Conceptual Design of the Relief Line South include station layouts?

That's a good question. According to their website, they are no longer posting their materials online and you need to ask them for it.

I'm particularly interested in "Phase 4.2 - Station Location Map", which might have your answer.

That's a good question. According to their website, they are no longer posting their materials online and you need to ask them for it.

I'm particularly interested in "Phase 4.2 - Station Location Map", which might have your answer.
I believe that document only showed conceptual station box locations and new station entrances. I mean actually station design and interchange station connectivity.

That makes too much sense, hence why we probably won't see that alignment chosen.
That's better:
Relief Line Bridge.PNG

Attachments

• Relief Line Bridge.PNG
    Relief Line Bridge.PNG
    2.2 MB · Views: 267
They got money from Feds and Province to start design work. I suspect it's because they don't have a dedicated team, so they are dragging out the design over 7-8 years. It could be done in 3 years with a dedicated team but that team is working on Tory's SmarTrack.

They got money from Feds and Province to start design work. I suspect it's because they don't have a dedicated team, so they are dragging out the design over 7-8 years. It could be done in 3 years with a dedicated team but that team is working on Tory's SmarTrack.
Can they find someone from other countries?

The GERRARD Station should include a streetcar loop. Either on-street or off-street loop. Initially, to handle 506 CARLTON short turns, both eastbound and westbound. That's to handle phase 1, where the Relief Line goes up to the PAPE station on Line 2.

With phase two however, the Relief Line could extended to the SCIENCE CENTRE station on Line 5 at Eglinton & Don Mills, and later with phase three, where the Relief Line could be further extended to the DON MILLS station or merging with the current Line 4 to form one subway one. With phase two, the 505 DUNDAS streetcar could be extended to the GERRARD station streetcar loop, not before. With phase two, passengers would be able to transfer to the 505, to get to the Eaton Centre or hospital row at University using the streetcar.

At one time, there was a jog at Gerrard and Carlaw. We see the "remains" of the "old" Gerrard to the south of the railway bridge.
Gerrard Carlaw.jpeg

s0372_ss0058_it0867.jpg

f1231_it1354.jpg

We could put the "old" Gerrard Street East as part of the streetcar loop.

Attachments

• Gerrard Carlaw.jpeg
    Gerrard Carlaw.jpeg
    262.3 KB · Views: 307
I hope so. Toronto doesn't have any beautiful bridges. It's a damn shame. A cable stayed bridge through the valley would make for some pretty awesome skyline pics. And maybe the top could be decked over with a pedestrian and bike path.

Or like Calgary's C-Train bridge with a pedestrian deck below. I think we do have some nice bridges. Woodbine Bridge over Taylor Ck is an attractive one that's close to this. The Cherry bascule bridge is also nice in a ugly industrial way. A cable-stayed subway bridge would certainly be neat, like Vancouver's massive Skybridge. I doubt we could get something like that. But even if it's a plain concrete viaduct I think we could make it look good with paneling and lighting.

RiverBridge.jpg

http://www.jtbell.net/transit/Calgary/

At one time, there was a jog at Gerrard and Carlaw. We see the "remains" of the "old" Gerrard to the south of the railway bridge.

We could put the "old" Gerrard Street East as part of the streetcar loop.

And maybe a reference to the Lowest of the Low song, Under the Carlaw Bridge.

Can they find someone from other countries?
It's not so much the lack of talent, but rather the lack of available funds. Although the feds and province have dedicated money to the project, it's more of a cash flow issue. There's only so much money you can give to a group of people at a specific instance of time, especially with how the government works.

They could theoretically go ahead a hire more people, and have them dedicated to the Relief Line but the cash flow issue would present itself. One way to get around it is to shift people to focus on specific projects which is what the city has been doing (more specifically John Tory himself).

Essentially, we have the resources to do the work but the resources arent being allocated properly. Sounds like a familiar theme in this city doesnt it?

A particular issue w/the way the City does design for rapid transit, is that, to my understanding, we go to almost 100% design before any construction.

A common practice elsewhere is to get to 100% design for the section that you're starting work on, and continue design on the next section, completing it before construction arrives at that location.

To me that would make enormous sense, and it doesn't substantially alter the total cost of design or construction.

In the context of the Relief Line, if you were going to start work at the western terminus, just west of Osgoode Stn, you might plan for 100% design to the Don River, begin construction, and continue design on the eastern leg which is ready the by time the construction reaches the river.

Clearly the southern leg of the line is not one that can be opened in segments, but there is no reason it can't be built that way.

While the northern leg can in fact be segmented, building 1-2 stations at a time, and opening them as you go.

They got money from Feds and Province to start design work.

Yes for design work. Still nothing for actual construction. That $9B the other day will be Line 2 upgrades (ATC, Rolling stock, etc.), STC subway extension (topup the gap), LRV order, LRV yard, Bus maintenance facility, + part of smart track (not even all of it; probably RER + Eglinton East but not Eglinton West).

Yes for design work. Still nothing for actual construction. That $9B the other day will be Line 2 upgrades (ATC, Rolling stock, etc.), STC subway extension (topup the gap), LRV order, LRV yard, Bus maintenance facility, + part of smart track (not even all of it; probably RER + Eglinton East but not Eglinton West).

The Fed and Prov infrastructure ministers were both asked directly if this could be used for RL funding and they both said yes.

re: Bridge

Don't forget that even the relatively cheap P3 Canada Line got a cable stayed North Arm Bridge, even though it isn't particularly elegant as the typology goes.

AoD

Cable Stayed often is the cheapest option. There is a reason it is popular these days.

The question is if the Don River bridge needs a large singular span - if it does, Cable Stayed will likely happen. If they can go with a lot of smaller spans, they can go with a more traditional bridge form.

Back