Toronto Ontario Line 3 | ?m | ?s

Queen also would attract a healthy weekend crowd as well. The ever booming Entertainment district is Richmond and major events happen along that stretch during Nuite Blanche and other events. Yes Union is great for the ACC and Rogers Centre, but why add a line to an area already well served? I mean, there is no major event going on at Wellington west

Remember, we're not building this line purely based on the current conditions in the downtown core and the city. There may not be as much happening along the rail lines or Wellington right now, but there is much more room for the city to grow there than there is along Queen West. With density already increasing along the rail corridor, it actually seems like a perfect time to put a line there. Over the next several years the city and developers can increase density there in expectation of a new subway line. It can grow into this new line.

Queen is already developed and a thriving area basically from Yonge to the end of Parkdale. It's not like putting a subway there will suddenly make people want to throw up 30-storey buildings. There's no way the residients would stand for that – these neighbourhoods have already been established.

And as for no room on the rail corridor – it's much easier and inexpensive to MAKE room here than it is to dig up Queen Street for the next 15 years. It may take some negotiation between GO, the TTC and other rail users, but that's what Metrolinx is for, right? And to be honest, even putting another line above or below grade would be easier here.

Another route could be King St. It goes through the heart of the financial district, it's easy walking distance to Queen, and the King streetcar line and subway stations get higher ridership than their Queen counterparts. A King line could swing down to Wellington for a direct transfer to Union. King St is less sensitive to redevelopment than Queen as well.

What would people think if we split the advocacy discussion and the alignment debate?

I hear what you're saying. The alignment talk can sidetrack the thread a bit.

But at the same time, I'm not sure the two issues are mutually exclusive. To me, where this thing goes is tied into whether people think it's a good thing or not.

I mean, people can always skip over posts that don't interest them, right?

What would people think if we split the advocacy discussion and the alignment debate?

Thank you....This thread has soooo moved on from talking about advocacy, which is probably more important than the discussion about alignment at this stage. Unfortunately, folks have to be disciplined enough to stick to the topic.

And what a great way to reduce the load at the transfer points - disperse it among 3 stations! Though I guess no one would actually change at Union itself. I think my preference is still for Queen, but if it isn't Queen, then this alignment along Wellington seem to make more sense than Front or King.

If the DRL used an alignment in the Richmond/Adelaide corridor, wouldn't the load be dispersed among four stations?

Aside from the possible costs savings from using the rail corridor, I'm not sure I see the value in running the DRL through Union station. Since GO trains and the DRL are both basically east-west routes mainly intended to bring commuters in and out of downtown, how many are likely to transfer from one to the other? I would think that commuters would be more likely to transfer from either of these to the YUS, a north-south route.

Just use colours for lines - pretty standard internationally.

My girlfriend recently came back to Canada after eight years living in Korea and Hong Kong, and she constantly refers to the Bloor-Danforth line as "the Green Line" and the Yonge-University-Spadina line as the "Yellow Line", although I keep reminding her that no one in Toronto actually calls them by these names. So, if we did start calling them that, she'd be pretty pleased with that.

If the DRL used an alignment in the Richmond/Adelaide corridor, wouldn't the load be dispersed among four stations?
Indeed it would. Though another issue will be how constructable is each. There's some provision in place along Queen - but there will have to be a lot of work just to assess the geotechnical issues along potential alignments.

My girlfriend recently came back to Canada after eight years living in Korea and Hong Kong, and she constantly refers to the Bloor-Danforth line as "the Green Line" and the Yonge-University-Spadina line as the "Yellow Line", although I keep reminding her that no one in Toronto actually calls them by these names. So, if we did start calling them that, she'd be pretty pleased with that.
Actually I do know quite a number of people who name the Toronto subway lines by colour. On the other hand, virtually no one would use colours to describe the HK lines, except (perhaps) some expats. [/OT]

These were some of the plans for expressways into downtown Toronto. Parts of which has now be substituted with rail and rapid transit.
Slide11a-33-s.jpg

See http://www.gettorontomoving.ca/crosstownexpy.html for what might have been. I don't agree with what that link represents and says. Good thing it didn't happen, I would have lived near one of those expressways.

There transit plans look feasible ^^^^

extending the Subway to Sherway Gardens is a huge benefit.

As we know, Malls are excellent transportation hubs...

However most people like the BD subway staying at Kipling.

Most of their Subway plans are exactly what we always talk about.

IMO the Eglinton Subway would really transform transportation across the city....

extending the Subway to Sherway Gardens is a huge benefit.

As we know, Malls are excellent transportation hubs...

However most people like the BD subway staying at Kipling.

Most of their Subway plans are exactly what we always talk about.

IMO the Eglinton Subway would really transform transportation across the city....

Yeah....and you'll bet your ass no one fits into that train anwhere east of Jane.

Either way. Im less interested in alignment and more for advocacy. The only reason why I keep on mentioning Queen is because so many others are tripping over themselves promoting Union. And as someone who lives in one area of downtown and works in another, and enjoy the rest of time in various area of the downtown core, I'd like to explain the transit patterns that I see everyday of the week

Plus, I only come here 10 minutes a day when I find the time. So I'd like to just focus on the advocacy.

Last edited by a moderator:

Back