Toronto Ontario Line 3 | ?m | ?s

I think a line cutting through Queen is best as it serves the most people and would be actually used as an east-west route instead of being a gigantic feeder line like the Bloor subway line is now.

Just to make sure...

The DRL would run from Dundas west along the railway tracks to union station???

Or would it be something else???
Well right now it's the east they are talking about. But with the proposed increase in rail service along the Georgetown line, there's no room left for subway tracks, so it would have to be elsewhere.

I bet my bottom dollar that it will be Queen. Its the geographic distance betwen the B/D line and Union. And Queen/King streetcars created existing transit patterns which will only be disrupted if the the line is brought to Union which is well south of major employment centers
I wouldn't be totally adverse to a Queen routing by any means, but I think there's at least a few factors that work against it...

• Most of the employment is south of Queen and what is north would be regarded as a "stable neighbourhood" for the most part.
  • It's one of the more expensive options.
  • The CBD is moving south, not north.
  • The city's biggest growth area (the Portlands) wouldn't be well served by a Queen routing.
  • It would be great to have a proper Queen subway at some point in the next 40 years and a Queen routing of the DRL would really put a crimp in making that happen.

Well right now it's the east they are talking about. But with the proposed increase in rail service along the Georgetown line, there's no room left for subway tracks, so it would have to be elsewhere.

It's not so much that there would be no room... its really more about duplication of service. The improvements to the corridor will see subway-style service and it might not be wise to run two high-frequency services down the same corridor when there are plenty of other areas that could be served.

I really think it should be built to Union, darkstar provides some good points. However, a Queen subway in the future would be great! Of, course that brings back the issue of the Queen streetcar, as in should it be kept for local service, with the subway having wider stops, or have the streetcar eliminated, and the subway have more stops. personally, I prefer to keep the streetcar, because that way the station spacing can be farther apart providing a faster trip and hopefully avoiding another Bloor (from Dufferin to just past Pape)

The proposed GO rail improvements on the Georgetown line are not a good substitute for building the DRL on it, given the wide disparity of station spacing between the two transport modes. There are plenty of examples of mainline rail and urban rapid transit trains running along the same corridor, and there's no reason it cannot happen here.

As for the subway itself, I agree it should run more to the south and include a direct link to Union. It only helps to improve connectivity, and Queen can always get a separate underground streetcar with Bloor/Danforth station spacing. It even has its first station built in!

It's not so much that there would be no room... its really more about duplication of service. The improvements to the corridor will see subway-style service and it might not be wise to run two high-frequency services down the same corridor when there are plenty of other areas that could be served.

High frequency service is a bit empty if those services don't stop. I would agree that the need for a rail corridor DRL could be ameliorated by using an upgraded GO service, but it would need a stop roughly at Jarvis. Not GO-shacks either, a real station.

It would be neat to have a Richmond/Adelaide subway and a DLR esque minimetro along the rail corridor. run in the west to Exhibition (or maybe the airport), to Union, then over to the Portlands, where it could loop around for a while.

I wouldn't be totally adverse to a Queen routing by any means, but I think there's at least a few factors that work against it...

• Most of the employment is south of Queen and what is north would be regarded as a "stable neighbourhood" for the most part.
  • It's one of the more expensive options.
  • The CBD is moving south, not north.
  • The city's biggest growth area (the Portlands) wouldn't be well served by a Queen routing.
  • It would be great to have a proper Queen subway at some point in the next 40 years and a Queen routing of the DRL would really put a crimp in making that happen.

I agree with this, but there could be a reasonable compromise here. As someone else mentioned, the use of Adelaide routing would likely have less impact on the transit bound along king and queen street (west side). They could then build the stair entrances towards both King Street and Queen Street, which would make the entrances very close to those streets. Going east, I would like the subway to jog south a little to be close to St. Lawrence Market - Esplanade. Personally I would like a Stop at Cherry Rd - so that T&T shuttle can run between that stop and T&T regularly :rolleyes: It also allows a reasonably close stop to add in a connection to the Portlands.

High frequency service is a bit empty if those services don't stop. I would agree that the need for a rail corridor DRL could be ameliorated by using an upgraded GO service, but it would need a stop roughly at Jarvis. Not GO-shacks either, a real station.

In my opinion, it's just a matter of building the stations. There's no technical limitation why we can't put a railway stations at the conceptual locations. In fact, that sort of spacing would be consistent with South-of-Thames London where the railways make up for the fact that few Underground lines cross the river.

The proposed GO rail improvements on the Georgetown line are not a good substitute for building the DRL on it, given the wide disparity of station spacing between the two transport modes. There are plenty of examples of mainline rail and urban rapid transit trains running along the same corridor, and there's no reason it cannot happen here.

As for the subway itself, I agree it should run more to the south and include a direct link to Union. It only helps to improve connectivity, and Queen can always get a separate underground streetcar with Bloor/Danforth station spacing. It even has its first station built in!

I prefer to view the world as three types of systems:
Super Express - High Speed Rail connecting major population centres
Express - A.K.A. - Go which provides a reasonably quick route over large distances within a metropolitian area (i.e. subway to Brampton does not make sense).
Regular service - Subway service

These types of service are not interchangeable. Putting too many stops on Go will degrade that service into a different type of service.

These types of service are not interchangeable. Putting too many stops on Go will degrade that service into a different type of service.

With express and local tracks we can have all three run on the same corridor without affecting each other.

I agree with this, but there could be a reasonable compromise here. As someone else mentioned, the use of Adelaide routing would likely have less impact on the transit bound along king and queen street (west side). They could then build the stair entrances towards both King Street and Queen Street, which would make the entrances very close to those streets. Going east, I would like the subway to jog south a little to be close to St. Lawrence Market - Esplanade. Personally I would like a Stop at Cherry Rd - so that T&T shuttle can run between that stop and T&T regularly :rolleyes: It also allows a reasonably close stop to add in a connection to the Portlands.

Yes, you're right; most of the jobs are south of Queen.....but there isnt a lake north of queen as there is south of Union. Queen and the areas to its north is is more then willing to increase development in most areas. Queen all across the city has the 2 or 3 storey brick exteriour buildings with storefronts on the bottom floor and lofts or apartments on the top floor.

The Portlands can go so many different ways depending on the Gardiner, rail corridor issues etc. From actually working in the downtown core, I can tell you that no one I know who works in office towers along King or Adelaide want to go south to Union either to grab the DRL or Blue 22. Union trult attracts GO users, and the DRL should be aimed to attract existing streetcar and subway users, and not those who enter Union station after existing a GO train

But our subway system currently hugs the CBD on three corners and people walk to it from all directions even it if out of their way. Non?

The Yonge life serves most people in the CBD, as it straddles most of the towers. For the Relief line to actually attract riderhsip from the Yonge then it has to be queally close, a mere 2 blocks. Psychologicall someone travelling north to North York doesnt want to have to walk 3 or 4 blocks south to Union as its the other direction

Queen also would attract a healthy weekend crowd as well. The ever booming Entertainment district is Richmond and major events happen along that stretch during Nuite Blanche and other events. Yes Union is great for the ACC and Rogers Centre, but why add a line to an area already well served? I mean, there is no major event going on at Wellington west

Back