Toronto Ontario Line 3 | ?m | ?s

The Yamanote line does not use double-decker cars. They're all single-deck E231s. Apparently there's a wikipedia article about them now.

The overwhelming majority of traffic on the Seaway is bulk, like coal, iron ore, and grain.

Cfrb

John Moore was talking about the DRL on Friday, and fully supporting it. Most people calling in were in full support of this and saying that the ext to York should be done after the DRL is in.

Nice to hear everyone is pretty much on the same page on this.

If this is built, will they build both the eastern and western legs at the same time, or, will they start out east first? I assume that if they build one leg first, they'd start in the east, since the University line isn't as crazy as the Yonge line.

While I'd obviously like to see the whole thing built at once, the eastern portion is most urgent because of the relief that it would provide to the Yonge line and Bloor-Yonge station. The western segment, though, could be built very economically and mostly on the surface. One suggested alignment (the one our group has adopted) had it running west from Front and Spadina along the rail corridor to Dufferin, with stops in the Fort York development area and at the Exhibition. From there it would run north on Dufferin to Queen, and then northwest along the rail corridor to Dundas West station. The only underground section of the whole route is the brief stretch along Dufferin from the Ex to Queen. The western section should be buildable for less than $1 billion.

As I've mentioned, the Wellington-Front line was considered to be the best alternative to the Front/Rail Corridor route. Its main downside was cost, because it was all underground and didn't take advantage of the availble rail corridor. The parking garage was a major, though surmountable, construction issue. Another disadvantage today would be its weaker service to the East Bayfront development area.

Is there a website, besides the Facebook group, which advocates the DRL?

easternbridge.jpg

I wonder if the original, but abandoned, Eastern Avenue bridge could be recycled for some use by the DRL? The Bathurst Street bridge was originally a railway bridge over the Humber River, before it was moved to Bathurst and Front for use as a road bridge.
Too bad the current location of that Eastern Avenue bridge not workable. It would have been nice to see rapid transit trains use it. But, it could be moved if needed.

Not enough life cycle left in it to make a move to another location.

Cheaper and faster to build a new one from day one.

Leave it as is and be part of the history of years gone bye.

Not enough life cycle left in it to make a move to another location.

Cheaper and faster to build a new one from day one.

Leave it as is and be part of the history of years gone bye.

Have to agree with drum on this. If you're going to build new infrastructure, you might as well build it all new and not reuse a bridge LOL.

that's a beautiful bridge.

too bad we don't build like that anymore.

It could rehabilitated. It would add character to the line and reuse an old bridge. Don't forget that house they saved when they built the Spadina line, which became a new entrance to Spadina station. It was another element that made the line unique and added character to the infrastructure.

Then again, in the giveth vs taketh away category, building the Spadina also led to the wipeout of a bunch of houses north of Bloor, and the site remains a parking lot to this day...

Isn't the bridge going to be rehabilitated and connected as part of West Don Lands?

Besides, I'd rather see it reused to be a multi-use pedestrian/cycling bridge than a transit bridge. In these times, it's least likely we'll get funding for a new pedestrian bridge instead of a flashy new transit bridge ;)

Just to make sure...

The DRL would run from Dundas west along the railway tracks to union station???

Or would it be something else???

Just to make sure...

The DRL would run from Dundas west along the railway tracks to union station???

Or would it be something else???

I bet my bottom dollar that it will be Queen. Its the geographic distance betwen the B/D line and Union. And Queen/King streetcars created existing transit patterns which will only be disrupted if the the line is brought to Union which is well south of major employment centers

Back