Toronto Ontario Line 3 | ?m | ?s

How exactly do you figure that Queen and King can be given ROWs for streetcars? There's no space for that through the core of the city. You can't just simply say "fuck the cars, give 'em one lane only!" Make Queen & King into one way streets? Unlikely.

Why not have king and queen one ways?
It works in Manhattan.

Good suggestion actually and one I haven't heard before.

Still, I think that naming lines in Toronto doesn't particularly makes sense as our current subway lines (for the most part) follow streets, but it can make for some very cumbersome names (i.e., the Yonge-University-Spadina line). Yet, the DRL, won't follow any street for very long, so regardless, it's going to break from the established pattern no matter what it gets named. Which suggests to me that it's time to just number our subwys...

#1 - YUS
#2 - BD
#3 - SRT
#4 - SH
#5 - DRL

Also, we should label our GO-corridors by letters instread of the numbers. Therefore, numbers would always equal subway lines and letters would equate to regional rail. Paris uses such a system.

^
Is there a 'DRL' color yet? Blue is SRT, red is the tram network. Orange? Pink? Brown? White? Silver/Gray?

Actually Queen and King already have the ROW during rushhour. The centre lanes are diamond lanes. But they are never enforced. Those new transit and traffic cops coming soon will be focusing on that as well as illegal left turns which hold up traffic/transit

^
Is there a 'DRL' color yet? Blue is SRT, red is the tram network. Orange? Pink? Brown? White? Silver/Gray?

It'll have to be a very distinct colour - orange is too close to red, and pink is a little too close to purple. White (or silver or grey) might very well be it!

A reminder to everyone who supports a Downtown Relief Line to join the Facebook group
(and invite your friends to join too). We now have over 700 members.

Further news stories today about the DRL from:
- Post: Council considering fast-tracking the downtown relief line
- Star: Subways are coveted in suburbs
- Star: City favours relief line over subway

You started this CDL.TO?

I just wanted to congratulate you. There are just about 1000 members now! When I jointed a *few* days ago there were only 700. This is really impressive stuff. The growth doesn't seem to be slowing either.

You might really have something here.

You started this CDL.TO?

I just wanted to congratulate you. There are just about 1000 members now! When I jointed a *few* days ago there were only 700. This is really impressive stuff. The growth doesn't seem to be slowing either.

You might really have something here.

I can't take credit for getting this thing kick-started. Credit needs to go to Darkstar416 for starting the Facebook group and unimaginative2 for continuously studying the DRL (I wonder how many hours he has spent in the Urban Affairs library?) and keeping it in the foreground on this forum and elsewhere.

But it's definitely a group effort. There are several other Urban Toronto members (including myself) who are also involved in this project in our own ways as well. Writing articles on the topic, maintaining the Facebook group, making maps, writing letters, etc etc etc.
`

Last edited:
I can't take credit for getting this thing kick-started. Credit needs to go to Darkstar416 for starting the Facebook group and unimaginative2 for continuously studying the DRL (I wonder how many hours he has spent in the Urban Affairs library?) and keeping it in the foreground on this forum and elsewhere.

But it's definitely a group effort. A few Urban Toronto members and I are also involved in this project in our own ways as well. Writing articles on the topic, maintaining the Facebook group, making maps, writing letters, etc etc etc.

I think it was a matter of timing too. Metrolinx came out with their plan a few months ago, and it referenced the DRL. Blue 22 was just announced, and it may impact or if need be become the DRL. The fedderal government is funding transit projects now due to the economy. There was also another Facebook group that was involved in sending a lot of emails to elected officials in the first week of January when news broke of the Richmond Hill extension and the need to relief the pressure on the Yonge line. Its scope is more general, to be involved in all issues facing the TTC. The momentum for the DRL seems truly unstoppable now.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think it was a matter of timing too. Metrolinx came out with their plan a few months ago, and it referenced the DRL. Blue 22 was just announced, and it may impact or if need be become the DRL. The fedderal government is funding transit projects now due to the economy. There was also another Facebook group that was involved in sending a lot of emails to elected officials in the first week of January when news broke of the Richmond Hill extension and the need to relief the pressure on the Yonge line. Its scope is more general, to be involved in all issues facing the TTC. The momentum for the DRL seems truly unstoppable now.

Ah, one must be careful with such statements. What's impossible today is common practice tomorrow :)

I don't think we've quite reached that level yet. We'll need more formal support from metrolink.

Also, don't forget the DRL was always on the plan - it's just the bump in time that's being perused now.

Metrolinx may not have referenced the DRL had it not been for the work of those mentioned above, plus there was a UT letter writing campaign a year or two ago as well, not to mention years of ongoing discussion here. So I wouldn't underestimate the grassroots contribution given how small the transit world seems to be in this city.

Then again, as someone on Spacing Wire commented, it's amazing what happens when Steve Munro changes his mind about something.

Also, up until recently, I seem to recall that unimaginative2's excellent Transit Toronto article was the only one of its kind on the web.

Last edited:
Tell me if this is an amazing idea, or one of those amazing ideas that actually turns out to be completely impractical (like suggesting Ontario should boost up marine shipping, but forgetting that the Seaway is iced over during winter).

I keep thinking about the idea floating around about tying the DRL, Don Mills, Eglinton & Jane lines into one 'loop' line (this was created by Mark Dowling and posted @ Metronauts). Given the high density areas it would serve, the multitude of employment zones, entertainment areas, feeder buses, commuter rail it would serve and just general uberness of it, I can't help but feel that 50 or 70 years down the line, it will be woefully under capacity.

One way to alleviate this would be to design the tunnels & stations to cope with double decker metros. My line of reasoning was that the 'loop' looks like the Yamanote line, which is actually a sort of REX line, like the RER, which itself uses double decker trains. Is this actually a practical idea, or would something like safety regs or upfront tunneling & station design costs make it impractical? I can't help but think this would make the subway infinitely cooler.

Tell me if this is an amazing idea, or one of those amazing ideas that actually turns out to be completely impractical (like suggesting Ontario should boost up marine shipping, but forgetting that the Seaway is iced over during winter).
If ice were a major limiting factor to shipping the Seaway would never have been built in the first place. The shipping season lasts most of the year. The decline of shipping in Toronto has more to do with port consolidation. Shipping in the Seaway as a whole is limited by the size of ocean-going ships.

Back