Toronto Ontario Line 3 | ?m | ?s

just lengthening the Streetcar ROW along Lakeshore coupled with a DRL stop at Roncesvalles and Queen for transfers will be fine IMO.

Totally agree.

After the Leslie barns are finished, I'd like to see the TTC retain the Roncessvalles carhouse properties for an eventual "Sunnyside" superstation. It would have the following connections:

- DRL
- GO-REX
- 501 (western terminus)

- pedestrian connection to St. Joseph's Healthcare Centre.

I would break the 501/508 that runs west to Humber Loop/Long Branch into a separate Transit City-branded LRT, even though it would use TTC gauge. In fact, the ROW to Humber Loop would be interlined with a future Queensway LRT (also TC-branded).

The other benefit of keeping the Roncessvalles carhouse lands is that it is a natural site for a TBM launch and extraction when we build the western leg of the DRL.

Here's a crude map that shows what I mean (stops on LRT not shown):

DRL_Sunnyside.png

Last edited:

With push come to shove, I'm looking out for my own interests.

The city has abandoned South Etobicoke and the issues in that area can be easily solved. The fact that they're conveniently ignoring everything has created a lot of bitter citizens. You should have seen the transit meeting in Ward 6 attended by Andy Byford, Karen Stintz and organized by Mark Grimes. People were ready to start lynching.

With push come to shove, I'm looking out for my own interests.

The city has abandoned South Etobicoke and the issues in that area can be easily solved. The fact that they're conveniently ignoring everything has created a lot of bitter citizens. You should have seen the transit meeting in Ward 6 attended by Andy Byford, Karen Stintz and organized by Mark Grimes. People were ready to start lynching.

It's too bad we didn't go with a more distributed plan that would make medium sized improvements across a large portion of the city instead of these very substantial and short improvements.

WWLRT with decent service (reliable 5 minute frequencies) and a 10,000pph capacity would have had a big impact in South Etobicoke. The $2B Ford put together for Scarborough subway could have funded a large number of additional projects, including an LRT extension through Malvern up to Steeles.

Rob Ford is assuming that the Yonge Relief Line (née Downtown Relief Line) will be using heavy rail, AKA subway. No recommendation, decision, nor choice of rapid transit vehicle has been made.

There is no other choice. This is a heavy rail corridor pure and simple. LRT cannot handle the capacity required for the DRL.

It's too bad we didn't go with a more distributed plan that would make medium sized improvements across a large portion of the city instead of these very substantial and short improvements.

WWLRT with decent service (reliable 5 minute frequencies) and a 10,000pph capacity would have had a big impact in South Etobicoke. The $2B Ford put together for Scarborough subway could have funded a large number of additional projects, including an LRT extension through Malvern up to Steeles.

If only funds not spent on one project went to another...

Let me help you out; WWLRT was already cancelled during Miller's experiment in transit planning. By 2009, the line was scheduled to BEGIN construction in 2028. Let's not kid ourselves, this means cancelled.

Pardon my pessimism, but South Etobicoke has been getting screwed in transit planning since the 90s when the first Lakeshore LRT mysteriously got cancelled. This was before the city decided it was a good idea to approve hundreds of cummulative storeys in additional high density development with absolutely NO transit or infrastructure improvements. We are fed up.

Over my dead body that the east gets another relief while we wallow in a disaster CAUSED BY THE CITY OF TORONTO.

Last edited:
If only funds not spent on one project went to another...

Let me help you out; WWLRT was already cancelled during Miller's experiment in transit planning. By 2009, the line was scheduled to BEGIN construction in 2028. Let's not kid ourselves, this means cancelled.

Pardon my pessimism, but South Etobicoke has been getting screwed in transit planning since the 90s when the first Lakeshore LRT mysteriously got cancelled. This was before the city decided it was a good idea to approve hundreds of cummulative storeys in additional high density development with absolutely NO transit or infrastructure improvements. We are fed up.

Over my dead body that the east gets another relief while we wallow in a disaster CAUSED BY THE CITY OF TORONTO.

Who do you think got screwed more: you guys, North Etobicoke or Scarborough? We need representatives from those areas to join this discussion as well though. Whoever is judged to suffered more historical injustice a people will be rewarded with subway lines as reparations.

You do realize that the western DRL won't go into South Etobicoke at all right?

May I ask why you would prefer that nothing get built to having the east side only DRL get built? If the east part gets built the DRL to Dundas West is at least a possible extension. If it doesn't then the western part won't ever get built.

Taxpayers are sick and tired of transit being held hostage and used as a political football by the NDP acolytes on council who have controlled the city since amalgamation.

The people elected Rob Ford because they were tired of having the NDP's social engineering agenda—under the guise of "city building" and "serving the community"—being pushed down our throats while ignoring the needs of the taxpayer.

To be frank, no taxpayer in this city should be supporting the waste of any taxpayer dollars on any transit period unless there is a stop at their doorstep and—at minimum—express stops to the bar, work, and possibly the pitch.

I wished more people would be like Filip and demand better. The city would be better off if there were more Filips.

Actions speaks louder than words. Call your councillor, MPP, MP, the media, stop this billion dollar boondoggle dead in its tracks.

Who do you think got screwed more: you guys, North Etobicoke or Scarborough? We need representatives from those areas to join this discussion as well though. Whoever is judged to suffered more historical injustice a people will be rewarded with subway lines as reparations.

You do realize that the western DRL won't go into South Etobicoke at all right?

It does not have to. My house is exactly 7.8km from Union Station. That is unbelievably close to downtown. However, given how unreliable, bunched and plain awful the streetcar service is, it takes me on average about an hour to get downtown. That is what is unacceptable.

A DRL west with a station at Queen/Queensway/Roncesvalles would intercept the streetcars (that are they themselves excellent up until Queen St.) and dump us into a quick subway ride directly into the downtown core. Travel time would be reduced to about 25 minutes (conservatively speaking).

I am not asking for a DRL to Mimico - I am asking for a DRL ANYWHERE NEAR THE WEST END.

Pardon my pessimism, but South Etobicoke has been getting screwed in transit planning since the 90s when the first Lakeshore LRT mysteriously got cancelled.

To be fair, every area of the city can make that complaint. Malvern has been promised the SRT extension since the 80s. York has been promised some form of underground RT on Eglinton since the late 80s. People along Sheppard East have been promised both a subway or an LRT since the late 80s.

Etobicoke is far from the only area to have a project that was promised not materialize.

Taxpayers are sick and tired of transit being held hostage and used as a political football by the NDP acolytes on council who have controlled the city since amalgamation.

The people elected Rob Ford because they were tired of having the NDP's social engineering agenda—under the guise of "city building" and "serving the community"—being pushed down our throats while ignoring the needs of the taxpayer.

To be frank, no taxpayer in this city should be supporting the waste of any taxpayer dollars on any transit period unless there is a stop at their doorstep and—at minimum—express stops to the bar, work, and possibly the pitch.

I wished more people would be like Filip and demand better. The city would be better off if there were more Filips.

Actions speaks louder than words. Call your councillor, MPP, MP, the media, stop this billion dollar boondoggle dead in its tracks.

Congratulations, you win the jackass award of the day. Want a cookie for your sarcasm?

To be fair, every area of the city can make that complaint. Malvern has been promised the SRT extension since the 80s. York has been promised some form of underground RT on Eglinton since the late 80s. People along Sheppard East have been promised both a subway or an LRT since the late 80s.

Etobicoke is far from the only area to have a project that was promised not materialize.

Do any of those areas have hundreds of cummulative storeys in condos currently being built? (not to mention what is already there and in the process of approvals).

We have two roads. Lake Shore and Park Lawn. How long until both can't take any more cars?

Do any of those areas have hundreds of cummulative storeys in condos currently being built? (not to mention what is already there and in the process of approvals).

We have two roads. Lake Shore and Park Lawn. How long until both can't take any more cars?

That's true. I'm not saying that the DRL West isn't needed, I'm just saying that the need for subway relief in the east is more accute, because in the east both westbound and southbound traffic are merging onto a single line.

For southern Etobicoke, a couple GO REX stations at Humber Loop/Park Lawn (possibly a relocated Mimico station), and a new station at Roncesvalles would do wonders, and would accomplish most of what you're describing with the DRL West. And based on most timelines, electrified GO service on the Lakeshore corridor is probably coming before a DRL West ever could.

Personally, I prefer a DRL West running up Dufferin with a GO REX station at Roncesvalles, but that's just me.

It does not have to. My house is exactly 7.8km from Union Station. That is unbelievably close to downtown. However, given how unreliable, bunched and plain awful the streetcar service is, it takes me on average about an hour to get downtown. That is what is unacceptable.

A DRL west with a station at Queen/Queensway/Roncesvalles would intercept the streetcars (that are they themselves excellent up until Queen St.) and dump us into a quick subway ride directly into the downtown core. Travel time would be reduced to about 25 minutes (conservatively speaking).

I am not asking for a DRL to Mimico - I am asking for a DRL ANYWHERE NEAR THE WEST END.

Well anyways I support DRL to Queen & Roncesvalles and to Dundas West, so I don't need convincing, and I agree that South Etobicoke should get better transit, as should other parts of the city.

But I'd rather see it get started on the east and possibly extended in the west than see absolutely nothing get built, so I guess that's where we disagree.

Back