Toronto Ontario Line 3 | ?m | ?s

If the DRL does not go into the west end (Roncesvalles, up to Dundas West) I will make sure that west end councillors try their hardest to put a stop to it. Unless there are clear guarantees (and a funding envelope) to push it to the west as soon as possible.

I'm tired of all this subway building being in the east end (Sheppard in the 90s, Scarborough today, DRL east end only...) We need relief in the west! The streetcars are crowded, unreliable and unacceptable for commuters. The Bloor line is also getting uncomfortable.

And please, stop trying to explain the University line as a Yonge relief for the west end... IT'S ABOUT TWO BLOCKS FROM THE YONGE LINE! That's not relief, that's just too much subway in one area.

Relief for the west end is.. you know.. actually going to the west end.. That's just my humble opinion.

I'm not sure Metrolinx will receive all of the money they asked for which is already much less than what they really wanted to get ahead of congestion.

GO expansion is a priority for them; one which I agree with. 905 will want half of whatever remains for various LRT/BRT projects and general maintenance. I only expect the shortest useful DRL to be funded in the spring budget.

I wouldn't be surprised if Metrolinx funds the DRL from Pape/Donlands to Spadina, but leaves the northeastern and western legs up to a combination of the City and the Feds.

I would think that would be the fairest way to do it. "We'll fund the minimum needed in order to have an effective solution. If you want the line extended beyond what's absolutely needed, you can pay for it."

If the DRL does not go into the west end (Roncesvalles, up to Dundas West) I will make sure that west end councillors try their hardest to put a stop to it. Unless there are clear guarantees (and a funding envelope) to push it to the west as soon as possible.

I'm tired of all this subway building being in the east end (Sheppard in the 90s, Scarborough today, DRL east end only...) We need relief in the west! The streetcars are crowded, unreliable and unacceptable for commuters. The Bloor line is also getting uncomfortable.

And please, stop trying to explain the University line as a Yonge relief for the west end... IT'S ABOUT TWO BLOCKS FROM THE YONGE LINE! That's not relief, that's just too much subway in one area.

Relief for the west end is.. you know.. actually going to the west end.. That's just my humble opinion.

Could not agree more with you. Plus nevermind the fact the Gardiner is only coming down again in the East only

What are your thoughts on the Waterfront West LRT?

Apparently we can built it quickly and easily, for not much money at all.

What are your thoughts on the Waterfront West LRT?

Apparently we can built it quickly and easily, for not much money at all.

I agree. The WWLRT was one of the few Transit City lines that actually made sense. If they want to save on costs, they can build it using TTC gauge and use the existing 501 tracks from Roncesvalles westward. It's the trip down Queen that really bogs down the 501 anyway. Build the new ROW from Union, along Bremner, and then connecting to the 501 ROW west of Roncesvalles, and you'd have a pretty decent line.

The DRL West is needed too, but at least building that while DRL Phase 1 is getting built would help reduce the urgency for Phase 2 (west) to happen at the same time as Phase 1.

With the pearson express coming we will see how many riders use a potential west end branch. Already St. George is more manageable. If we do this, it's because it's going to Eglinton West.

Could not agree more with you. Plus nevermind the fact the Gardiner is only coming down again in the East only

Well there is the Spadina extension..

While I completely agree the western DRL is needed, transit issues are much larger in the east end. The geography of the west end means there is less ridership than you would think in etobicoke. Not to say there aren't issues, specifically on the southern end of etobicoke, but generally the west end is fairly well off compared to the east.

Who do you think will use Pearson expresss and pay how much to ride it?

UPX isn't very helpful but there are 2 other tracks there for GO trains that will probably have some kind of service. Frequent service to Brampton is much more useful to the average person than frequent service to the airport.

What is this, a 90's east-side west-side rap war?

I'm pretty sure both the streetcars and Bloor line are just as bad if not worse East of Yonge.

I find it incredible that if the west side DRL is not built immediately, you would actually actively work against the east side getting transit improvements. As far as I can tell you're basically saying you'd prefer the East side to actually have worse transit if the line doesn't go where you want. Wow.

Anyways I do hope the western side is built, you have to start somewhere though.

Why would they do this? Stopping the Relief Line would just delay west end subway extension.

I'm tired of all this subway building being in the east end (Sheppard in the 90s, Scarborough today, DRL east end only...) We need relief in the west!
The streetcars are crowded, unreliable and unacceptable for commuters. The Bloor line is also getting uncomfortable.

Yeah. Just about every transit project in the city has the caveat of, "what does this do for Scarborough". However it is abundantly clear that the RL needs to come from east of Yonge. The University-Spadina Subway already acts as a western RL.

Anyways I don't think Relief Line will have much of an impact on downtown streetcars. In my experience, the bulk of downtown commutes is waiting for and travelling on overcrowded streetcars. The RL should dramatically reduce crowding on King/Queen but won't do much for the other streetcar routes. Our new streetcars, with their reduced headways, won't be much of an improvement. If we're trying to improve downtown commutes, we should look at improving headways with our new streetcars and then building proper LRTs (like Sheppard) and transit malls on downtown streets.

Here's an experient. Try shutting down Yonge-University for a week. It should become abundantly clear that the route is a western relief line.

I'm pretty sure both the streetcars and Bloor line are just as bad if not worse East of Yonge.

I find it incredible that if the west side DRL is not built immediately, you would actually actively work against the east side getting transit improvements. As far as I can tell you're basically saying you'd prefer the East side to actually have worse transit if the line doesn't go where you want. Wow.

Anyways I do hope the western side is built, you have to start somewhere though.

This is Toronto, if we build the east only, the west might have to wait another 20 years for that line to get built. That's time we don't have and cannot afford.

WislaHD: yes, I fully support WWLRT. That is one of the only LRT lines from Transit City that I fully supported. It made sense. TTC has confirmed, however, there is no appetite to build this line in the next 30 years.

And yes, to further confirm the point above, I will actively lobby against an east end DRL if it means the west end gets ignored once again. We have our own unique set of issues that the east end does not have. The only reliable method to solve it would be a DRL to Dundas West (minimal).

Why would they do this? Stopping the Relief Line would just delay west end subway extension.

Yeah. Just about every transit project in the city has the caveat of, "what does this do for Scarborough". However it is abundantly clear that the RL needs to come from east of Yonge. The University-Spadina Subway already acts as a western RL.

Anyways I don't think Relief Line will have much of an impact on downtown streetcars. In my experience, the bulk of downtown commutes is waiting for and travelling on overcrowded streetcars. The RL should dramatically reduce crowding on King/Queen but won't do much for the other streetcar routes. Our new streetcars, with their reduced headways, won't be much of an improvement. If we're trying to improve downtown commutes, we should look at improving headways with our new streetcars and then building proper LRTs (like Sheppard) and transit malls on downtown streets.

Here's an experient. Try shutting down Yonge-University for a week. It should become abundantly clear that the route is a western relief line.

A person, say, at Dufferin/Queen is not getting much relief from the Spadina/University line. This is not a discussion about northwestern parts of the city.

Quite frankly, what it is is that I am no longer open to financing transit improvements that make no difference to me whatsoever (no improvements in my area, yet stratospheric growth). DRL west would provide massive improvements to South Etobicoke by having the streetcar terminate before hitting the nightmare called Queen.

You may say its worse but that does not make it so. And are you trying to say the east end of Toronto is more developed
along the DANFORTH COMPARED TO the west end along BLOOR? Thats wrong. If you travel along Danforth, I do not see condos yetI see more and more coming in the west. The east along Danforth is more run down. I do believe the Great Fire in Toronto caused develpment to switch to the west. Whats this, with the east more deveoped nonsense coming from?

Back