Toronto Ontario Line 3 | ?m | ?s

But I'd rather see it get started on the east and possibly extended in the west than see absolutely nothing get built, so I guess that's where we disagree.

Yup. Pape/Donlands to Spadina in Phase 1. Spadina to the Bloor line and Pape/Donlands to Eglinton & Don Mills in Phases 2A and 2B respectively. Bloor line to Mt Dennis in Phase 3.

WHO CARES about any of this? We should be building the DRL to help the entire city. The final route has not even be decided; all this squabbling is for naught.

The city is studying the east only, which is myopic.

I am tired of my taxes paying for improvements that do absolutely nothing for myself and my neighbours (while the city enjoys the millions in new tax revenue accrued on the backs of those living in the area). This is an absolute outrage. I was lucky enough to have received a standing ovation at that meeting after calling out Byford and Stintz on these double standards. Stintz vaguely mentioned something about building transit where there is need. Yes, like a subway to Vaughan, or an LRT on Sheppard that is better served by more frequent buses, etc, etc. Her face was priceless as she was speechless. What a great head of the TTC you were Karen!

I am tired of my taxes paying for improvements that do absolutely nothing for myself and my neighbours (while the city enjoys the millions in new tax revenue accrued on the backs of those living in the area). This is an absolute outrage. I was lucky enough to have received a standing ovation at that meeting after calling out Byford and Stintz on these double standards. Stintz vaguely mentioned something about building transit where there is need. Yes, like a subway to Vaughan, or an LRT on Sheppard that is better served by more frequent buses, etc, etc. Her face was priceless as she was speechless. What a great head of the TTC you were Karen!

Speaking at public meetings against condos is another great opportunity to rouse some group anger & outrage.

So I guess the 30 min all day GO service at Mimico and Long Branch doesn't do anything for you or your neighbours?

Speaking at public meetings against condos is another great opportunity to rouse some group anger & outrage.

So I guess the 30 min all day GO service at Mimico and Long Branch doesn't do anything for you or your neighbours?

For the condo strip (where the growth is concentrated) it's a 30-45 minute walk to Mimico GO.

Parking is not available at the station either, in fact, residents around the station are complaining that too many cars are clogging up their streets for parking (again, from the condos).

The Metrolinx rep actually had the balls to tell the room that they can 'walk' to the station (and that they are against building a station at Humber Bay Shores). What the hell is this? This is not Europe, nobody can walk to a station that is located 3km from where they live. Anyway.. point being is there are currently no plans to even slightly mitigate the disaster brewing in that area. My speech was the double standards on transit building in the area, not about condos. People have come to accept them, but the effects are being felt.

Anyway, my point is the main thing we asked for is the immediate construction of the Park Lawn Loop (so we don't have to deal with short turned streetcars, and at least get some of the frequency further west). The EA is completed, and about to expire, however this has been 'on hold' since 2009. Apparently we don't have $18MM to spare. We do however have billions to spare in other parts of the city... LOL!

Let me help you out; WWLRT was already cancelled during Miller's experiment in transit planning. By 2009, the line was scheduled to BEGIN construction in 2028. Let's not kid ourselves, this means cancelled.

Right. Cancelled due to lack of interest from residents in funding it (electing Ford reinforced this).

I gave up waiting for better transit and moved to Yorkville instead. I am happy to take on extra taxes so others can have the same transit convenience that I do; are you? Your primary complaint is that we're not spending anywhere near enough on transit capital; taxes are too low.

Last edited:
For the condo strip (where the growth is concentrated) it's a 30-45 minute walk to Mimico GO.

Parking is not available at the station either, in fact, residents around the station are complaining that too many cars are clogging up their streets for parking (again, from the condos).

The Metrolinx rep actually had the balls to tell the room that they can 'walk' to the station (and that they are against building a station at Humber Bay Shores). What the hell is this? This is not Europe, nobody can walk to a station that is located 3km from where they live. Anyway.. point being is there are currently no plans to even slightly mitigate the disaster brewing in that area. My speech was the double standards on transit building in the area, not about condos. People have come to accept them, but the effects are being felt.

Anyway, my point is the main thing we asked for is the immediate construction of the Park Lawn Loop (so we don't have to deal with short turned streetcars, and at least get some of the frequency further west). The EA is completed, and about to expire, however this has been 'on hold' since 2009. Apparently we don't have $18MM to spare. We do however have billions to spare in other parts of the city... LOL!

Where is this condo strip?

I'm wondering if making it easier or more convenient to take the bus from various areas in your neighbourhood to the GO station might be the best way to get them downtown fast. Or maybe adding a GO stop at Kipling or something if that would make access more convenient.

According to the GO schedule it's a 17 min trip from Mimico to Union (not sure if that reflects reality though). It's possible they could increase frequencies further than every 30 min.

It could probably happen much faster than waiting for the DRL being constructed, which is at best case 10 years later.

Metrolinx is studying Dundas West to Eglinton Don Mills, so this point is moot. We don't know what will happen. There is no way I believe the won't build a complete line. I want it for different reasons then you. But I will agree with you about University: it's one line. The TTC has already said as much.

Right. Cancelled due to lack of interest from residents in funding it (electing Ford reinforced this).

I gave up waiting for better transit and moved to Yorkville instead. I am happy to take on extra taxes so others can have the same transit convenience that I do; are you? Your primary complaint is that we're not spending anywhere near enough on transit capital; taxes are too low.

Errr.. It was deferred to 2028 in 2009 (your God Miller was still mayor at the time).

The TTC was studying the whole thing, but Metrolinx was only doing the small portion. given that they will be doing a joint study now, I feel they will be doing the whole thing like the TTC.

waterfront LRT like Don mills, Morningside, and Jane never really stood a chance at actual construction. it was never really more than a line on a map, much like Fords beloved Finch subway.

Where is this condo strip?

I'm wondering if making it easier or more convenient to take the bus from various areas in your neighbourhood to the GO station might be the best way to get them downtown fast. Or maybe adding a GO stop at Kipling or something if that would make access more convenient.

According to the GO schedule it's a 17 min trip from Mimico to Union (not sure if that reflects reality though). It's possible they could increase frequencies further than every 30 min.

It could probably happen much faster than waiting for the DRL being constructed, which is at best case 10 years later.

Park Lawn/Lake Shore moving east to the Humber river. You have dozens of tall condos currently there, dozens more approved/begining construction. It's going to be a mess.

Unfortunately, the TTC does not link to Mimico GO conveniently.

Park Lawn/Lake Shore moving east to the Humber river. You have dozens of tall condos currently there, dozens more approved/begining construction. It's going to be a mess.

TTC fails to service Mimico GO conveniently.

I have said for years there needs to be a GO station at Park Lawn as well a parking structure for the Gardiner. It still needs to happen sooner than later to service this huge development area.

TTC needs to build a loop west of Park Lawn, not where is plan to go as there are more riders west of there that is being under server now.

At one time the Mimico GO Station along with a new TTC loop was to be built next to the tracks on the west side of the creek that is in a flood base area.

It's actually really close to the GO line, but it may be too close to Mimico to add a GO station there.

To me it seems like you have a viable way to make many trips into downtown much better for the people that live there that could be implemented fast: running a good bus service to either Mimico station or the Bloor line. According to Google maps it's a 5 min drive to Mimico station, or a 5-10 min drive to Jane & Bloor subway station.

So if there was a frequent & direct bus service to those two stations, maybe that would help?

I fully support DRL West, I'm just trying to think of ways to improve the situation now rather than 10 years later.

Errr.. It was deferred to 2028 in 2009 (your God Miller was still mayor at the time).

My god?

And I have no doubt you realize what a 20+ year deferral really means. The city hit its debt limit and was unable to muster political will to fund numerous projects and the province wasn't willing to pick it up for similar reasons.

Ford was elected since and put nearly every penny over the next 8 years into SCC. If you want transit, vote for the mayor and provincial candidate who has an interest and funding plan to invest in public transit Toronto wide or is at least willing to trade for your neighbourhood. Grimes is a good choice in councillor for what you want (helped implement Land Transfer Tax and has an interest in TTC service).

Why are you attacking me anyway? I just said I was willing to invest in transit in your region despite being of no benefit to me. I'm on your side; but I can be against you too if you prefer that. Lack of transit is good at the moment for downtown real-estate prices; my best self-interest is to vote against transit expansion/taxes then sell my place in a few years and leave the city (no job ties here).

Last edited:
My god?

And I have no doubt you realize what a 20+ year deferral really means. The city hit its debt limit and was unable to muster political will to fund numerous projects and the province wasn't willing to pick it up for similar reasons.

Ford was elected since and put nearly every penny over the next 8 years into SCC. If you want transit, vote for the mayor and provincial candidate who has an interest and funding plan to invest in public transit Toronto wide or is at least willing to trade for your neighbourhood. Grimes is a good choice in councillor for what you want (helped implement Land Transfer Tax and has an interest in TTC service).

Why are you attacking me anyway? I just said I was willing to invest in transit in your region. I'm on your side. Are you on your side?

Praise & worship to David Miller, father of the Holy Transit City plan, bringer of vehicle registration tax and garbage strikes!!

Praise & worship to David Miller, father of the Holy Transit City plan, bringer of vehicle registration tax and garbage strikes!!

Lastman was the father of the Transit City plan. His council requested a report on future congested streets (2011 to 2021) and asked the TTC what could be done about it. This document appeared a couple of times in Rocket Rider meetings between 2001 and 2003 as provided by the planning department. BRT and LRT were options on the table at that time.

Lastman is the silent absentee father of Transit City (planted the seed and took off); Miller is father through adoption, by giving the plan a name, and raising it.

Yes, I did like the plan which addressed many of the problems laid out in the congestion report and was moderately affordable. I didn't like that south of Gardiner was ignored. I really liked the Transit City Bus Plan.

I don't like spending the next 10+ years worth of transit capital in a 13km portion of the city only.

Pissed that the Lastman target was 2011 for an implementation and here we are in 2014 and construction hasn't started. It sat on Miller's desk for years before he sent it out the door.

If Tory finished what Lastman started, I likely would have been happy with him too. Of course, he's also smart enough to know realize that spending requires income. I still don't think it's a good idea to elect someone as mayor who has never sat as a councillor. Politics at City Hall are radically different from the provincial/federal level.

Anyway, you guys tell me who to vote for. My own best interests are served best by the person who kills public transit expansion, sells the Gardiner to a private company instead of repairing it, and gives a 10% property tax decrease based on Gardiner funds. That's a horrible way to build a city, but it would work for me.

Last edited:

Back