Toronto OnePark West | ?m | 13s | Daniels | Core Architects

I can't wait to see the fully completed Regent Park. As a Cabbagetown homeowner, I'm looking forward to walking with my kids and dog all over the project, something we'd never do in the past (debate that if you wish).

This is one of the most exciting developments in the modern history of Toronto. An increasing group of middle class and up and coming folks who would have fled the city and bought in the 'burbs will now live in the downtown core. IMO, they should drop the Regent Park name, and go with something new, such as Cabbagetown South...of course Regent Park was build on the original Cabbagetown, when today's Cabbagetown was called Donvale, IIRC.

Of course, a cynic might say that the city finally figured out how to get rid of the drug and crime problem in Regent Park, that being of course, getting rid of the population demographic that's involved in those activities.
Now, to be tongue-in-cheek (or not)...
2006020503_Display-25.gif

The sooner the "re-located" go back to Regent Park the better. In Riverdale for instance, were some were re-located, the past year has experienced an increase in B&E's, vehicle break-ins, vandalism, graffitti and muggings. I was told this by a cop who was investigating a series of vehicle break-ins (including mine twice in less than six months). He said some of the recent culprits arrested were re-located in the neighbourhood from Regent Park and Don Mount. The police at 55 Div and Paula Fletchers office have asked we be more vigilant and call the cops when we see suspicious activity.
My brother in Mississauga (Winston Churchill & Derry Britannia area) complained of the same thing. Apparently a lot of Regent's Rubbish...errr...I mean troubled youths in need, have moved out there. However, IIRC, public housing is no longer provincial, so I don't think it's possible to relocate folks from Toronto housing to Mississauga.

My brother in Mississauga (Winston Churchill & Derry Britannia area) complained of the same thing. Apparently a lot of Regent's Rubbish...errr...I mean troubled youths in need, have moved out there. However, IIRC, public housing is no longer provincial, so I don't think it's possible to relocate folks from Toronto housing to Mississauga.

Im at Mavis and Britannia and the same thing has happened here. People in my neighborhood have been complaining to the city for the last few months because they werent told of this plan.

how many people in toronto live in "projects?"

If the number is under 50,000 (or even start with Regent Park for example--how many people live in that project?) why not give them all decent jobs so they can get out of poverty? If every employer across the gta gave just 2 people on social assistance a better paying job (say $40k salary) imagine the consequences! There'd be no need for ghettos....

I know i sound simplistic here. But seriously, why are people living in nabes like Regent Park for decades? (Considering some of my artist friends are "poor" ie making under $20,000/year--yet none of them live in social housing!) Artificial ghettos should be abandoned imho. Working class nabes (for example Dundas West) are filled with decent, hard working people. But when the city/government steps in to create a "poor peoples" ghetto, they always manage to screw up. Around the world, social housing just doesn't work; it creates lazy people unmotivated to work and therefore take responsibility for their lives, housing etc.

I could go on...I won't right now.

Im at Mavis and Britannia and the same thing has happened here. People in my neighborhood have been complaining to the city for the last few months because they werent told of this plan.

I wonder since when does the movement of lower income individuals becomes something that has the community had to be notified of.

And of course, I would hasten to add that there isn't a beep made from the said community when the movement of these individuals goes the other way (as it is so often in these cases).

AoD

I wonder since when does the movement of lower income individuals becomes something that has the community had to be notified of.

And of course, I would hasten to add that there isn't a beep made from the said community when the movement of these individuals goes the other way (as it is so often in these cases).

AoD

The older people living here are scared of kids walking the street at night and the crime which has come with the move.

The "ick" was in relation to the reactionary sentiment in the posts that preceeded. It was a genuine feeling on my part.

That qualifies me for national hatred how?

I can see how your comment came to be misunderstood. On occasion I'm a bit risky with some of my retorts too, hoping that the reader will ascertain my meaning, and find the humour and not the offense. Not everyone here mentally compiles full character profiles over time while reading others' posts.

Around the world, social housing just doesn't work; it creates lazy people unmotivated to work and therefore take responsibility for their lives, housing etc.

An exception to this is Asia. In Hong Kong and Singapore a significant proportion, if not the majority, of the population live in public housing projects. There's really little difference between the people there who live in public and private housing in terms of living or working habits. Some public housing in Singapore are built with the same level of quality as condos here in Toronto, so that the people who live in them feel that they are living middle-class.

I think parts of Europe (perhaps Sweden) might also be exceptions to this rule too.

Almost all housing in The Netherlands is publicly owned. With the decimation and population explosion which followed the war the gov't took pver responsibility for housing and has stayed that way ever since.

Back