Toronto One Bloor East | 257.24m | 76s | Great Gulf | Hariri Pontarini

Yeah, thanks for the new angle. Again, that's one helluva pit. I'm pretty pumped for this project. Someone said in the Aura thread that Aura will be the dominator on Yonge. I respectfully disagree: it'll be this guy.

Adding 5 floors seems like a cruel joke. At the rate they are building this thing a building of just 5 floors is starting to look a long way off.

You do not want the building looking like the leaning tower of Pisa.

It takes time for a stable foundation for a building of this size.

You do not want the building looking like the leaning tower of Pisa.

It takes time for a stable foundation for a building of this size.

Yup, a strong foundation is key. Otherwise this might happen:

[video=youtube;GtIjUn7_erY]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GtIjUn7_erY[/video]

I assume that building was imploaded?

Yea it was imploded after sinking over a foot due to half-assed foundations. Which is why the long wait for One Bloor's foundation will be worth it.

from today
DSCF7378_zpsb5377826.jpg

Monday morning update - only a picture of the pit this time, no skyline (different camera).

Regarding the two excavators in the top right (southwest) corner, the one in the pit is actually dropping rubble directly into the scoop of the other that is reaching down and then loading the dump trucks. Slow process.

1BloorOct15.jpg

Attachments

• 1BloorOct15.jpg
    1BloorOct15.jpg
    99 KB · Views: 350
Details! Details!!

Here is a photo from today. Notice the paint marks where I guess they will be making some detailed carving. Whatever happened to the drilled holes that were filled with concrete a few months ago that we thought was for some support?
IMG_1222.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_1222.jpg
    IMG_1222.jpg
    97.7 KB · Views: 453
Here is a photo from today. Notice the paint marks where I guess they will be making some detailed carving. Whatever happened to the drilled holes that were filled with concrete a few months ago that we thought was for some support?View attachment 9475

Thanks for the pic and the update, but, geologically, does anyone know if there is a problem with the ground at this site? Seems hey are taking a very long time to prep it, however, after watching that YouTube clip, I hope they take all the time necessary! 81 floors is a lot of weight to put on a relatively small footprint, and I don't want it to suffer the same fate as that building in that clip!

When they further excavated that rectangular area at the bottom of the pit, the tops of those concrete columns were exposed, and they jackhammered them down to the pit floor. This took place a few weeks ago. I believe that most of the columns that were exposed (if not all) were within the area in your picture that can be seen marked off on the ground with orange paint.

Perhaps they will provide support under a slab for the next crane? Just guessing - I've also been curious what those drilled and filled holes were prepping for.

Theres no problem with the ground at that location. In fact, most of Toronto is geologically stable and has excellent soil for tall building construction, hence, why we have so many of them! It is a lot of weight to put on that footprint through

Back