Toronto One Bloor East | 257.24m | 76s | Great Gulf | Hariri Pontarini

Just last week I paid over $100 a day for my visitors: a colleague dropped off a very large box of legal files, a cleaning lady was there for a couple of hours, someone else had to pick up some stuff, and a friend came for a coffee. I agree parking should not be that expensive. I already had experience with services and deliveries been refused to me because of parking problems.

Just last week I paid over $100 a day for my visitors: a colleague dropped off a very large box of legal files, a cleaning lady was there for a couple of hours, someone else had to pick up some stuff, and a friend came for a coffee. I agree parking should not be that expensive. I already had experience with services and deliveries been refused to me because of parking problems.

Perhaps you should have factored this into your decision before you chose to live here.

It's called cost of living. Property taxes, maintenance fees, and other bills can increase at any point well after residents had moved in. No cost is constant.

That's fine, but doesn't have much to do with my point. You stated they should have factored that in before deciding to move, but they couldn't have.

In fairness, the cost of parking was disclosed well after residents had moved in.
Downtown condo towers shouldn't need to be designed to accommodate suburban visitors. Traffic is bad enough without encouraging suburban residents to drive into the city centre. There are two TTC subway lines right under the building, and plenty of commuter lots serving the less central stations with free parking. This is also one of the most expensive condo towers in the country, and if anyone can afford to pay a few bucks to park their cars, it's residents at 1BE.

Downtown condo towers shouldn't need to be designed to accommodate suburban visitors. Traffic is bad enough without encouraging suburban residents to drive into the city centre. There are two TTC subway lines right under the building, and plenty of commuter lots serving the less central stations with free parking. This is also one of the most expensive condo towers in the country, and if anyone can afford to pay a few bucks to park their cars, it's residents at 1BE.

These are all very good reasons, why have so much paid parking then? Ideally, all downtown residents shouldn't be driving to shop in the retail portion.

These are all very good reasons, why have so much paid parking then? Ideally, all downtown residents shouldn't be driving to shop in the retail portion.
Because of wealthy residents that refuse to take transit or suburban visitors that feel the need to drive everywhere. They can pay if they want to further clog up the already packed intersection.

Perhaps you should have factored this into your decision before you chose to live here.
I think so. I should have adopted "buyer be ware" attitude. I relied too much on what Great Gulf said about themselves (even recent newspaper article) and trusted them to make it right. This is exactly my point about many aspects of this building and this developer, including parking: a responsible developer plans a residential condo with residents in mind, and makes it appealing and convenient for residents. Ask Moshe Safdie (Great Gulf worked with him on a different project) he would have much to say about this. Off course if the developer wants to maximize his profit at the expense of residents then 1 Bloor happens. If the developer chooses the cheapest options, cuts corners, uses every inch of space for profit he would achieve maximum financial gain for such project. It may not necessarily maximize their profit in the long run. They may have harder time convincing future customers.

Last edited:
Today.
L1020180.jpg

Back