One Bloor East | 257.24m | 76s | Great Gulf | Hariri Pontarini

Towered

Member Bio
Reaction score
Damn it. That’s going to kill the sidewalk experience. These cannabis stores are all covered up. It ruined the old HMV. It was no masterpiece but it had a good street presence with lots of people coming and going and a nice view into the store.

Move over, window-film covered Shoppers locations - make way for an onslaught of frosted glass pot shops!

Urbanists can't win in this city.

Tuscani01

Member Bio
Reaction score
Damn it. That’s going to kill the sidewalk experience. These cannabis stores are all covered up. It ruined the old HMV. It was no masterpiece but it had a good street presence with lots of people coming and going and a nice view into the store.

I mean, true - there's no view into it anymore... but there is a steady stream of people coming and going from it, and even a line outside at times.

AlvinofDiaspar

Member Bio
Reaction score
I mean, true - there's no view into it anymore... but there is a steady stream of people coming and going from it, and even a line outside at times.

The whole notion of covering up the stores to prevent views inside is antiquated thinking, suggestive of illicit activities; and forcing people to line up outside just makes the whole thing even less humane. If a retail model sufficies for LCBO, I don't see the rationale for being so uptight about pot shops.

AoD

Tuscani01

Member Bio
Reaction score
The whole notion of covering up the stores to prevent views inside is antiquated thinking, suggestive of illicit activities; and forcing people to line up outside just makes the whole thing even less humane. If a retail model sufficies for LCBO, I don't see the rationale for being so uptight about pot shops.

AoD

That's not the businesses fault in this case though. It's government restrictions. I'm sure the stores would rather not have to hire security, check ID on entry, and cover up their actually nice looking store.

From the ACGO handbook:

You must not:
allow anyone who looks under 25 years old to enter the store, unless you first request identification and are satisfied the person is at least 19 years of age

You must display your cannabis and accessories in a way that they cannot be seen by a young person, even from outside the store.

AlvinofDiaspar

Member Bio
Reaction score
That's not the businesses fault in this case though. It's government restrictions. I'm sure the stores would rather not have to hire security, check ID on entry, and cover up their actually nice looking store.

From the ACGO handbook:

You must not:
allow anyone who looks under 25 years old to enter the store, unless you first request identification and are satisfied the person is at least 19 years of age

You must display your cannabis and accessories in a way that they cannot be seen by a young person, even from outside the store.

I know, that's why I referred to the notion as antiquated (and used LCBO as a counterexample). I have no issues with requiring an ID check, but to do it outside just looks stupid.

AoD

UrbanOzz

Member Bio
Reaction score
I know, that's why I referred to the notion as antiquated (and used LCBO as a counterexample). I have no issues with requiring an ID check, but to do it outside just looks stupid.

AoD
hopefully they ease up a bit in the future. My thoughts are they overkilled the restrictions because there's a large group of people that were against it and claimed the sky was falling. It also had to go through the senate where the conservative senators voted against it in bloc no matter what was proposed so they kept it strict for the independents and liberal senators. Once the stigma is removed (might take a few years) maybe they can revisit some of these rules.

Benito

Member Bio
Reaction score
Work on damaged glazing today.
5194B3B6-C256-4257-90F3-5493EE2917DE.jpeg
88CE3626-84ED-4A46-B90F-FD51AB676890.jpeg

Benito

Member Bio
Reaction score
I’m not sure what this scaffolding is going to be used for.
7AB22659-F954-4740-8C1C-51B8F4A71150.jpeg

17C00F1E-11C5-4544-92F8-B02AD98CD4FE.jpeg
C1F53586-F5A0-4022-99A0-45880796D5A1.jpeg

This area behind the fireplace has never been finished, it has been sitting in a state of incompletion for years now. When will the builder finish the many things left to complete on this building?
1E0F788A-1123-455C-B995-F4B201432B68.jpeg

UtakataNoAnnex

Member Bio
Reaction score
Yeah...the "tail" is way, way too tight there to be that.

Last edited: