Toronto One Bloor East | 257.24m | 76s | Great Gulf | Hariri Pontarini

The other day I was at Yonge and Bloor and two dude bros we're at the corner looking up at One Bloor and the one dude bro says to the other "I don't know man, I like it - it's got character" and the other dude bro says "Yeah character, I can see it!"

Made me smile

Dude...and Tokyo Smoke hasn't even opened yet at One Bloor East.

With the sculpture

DSCF6522.jpg

Damn it. That’s going to kill the sidewalk experience. These cannabis stores are all covered up. It ruined the old HMV. It was no masterpiece but it had a good street presence with lots of people coming and going and a nice view into the store.

Damn it. That’s going to kill the sidewalk experience. These cannabis stores are all covered up. It ruined the old HMV. It was no masterpiece but it had a good street presence with lots of people coming and going and a nice view into the store.

Move over, window-film covered Shoppers locations - make way for an onslaught of frosted glass pot shops!

Urbanists can't win in this city.

I mean, true - there's no view into it anymore... but there is a steady stream of people coming and going from it, and even a line outside at times.

I mean, true - there's no view into it anymore... but there is a steady stream of people coming and going from it, and even a line outside at times.

The whole notion of covering up the stores to prevent views inside is antiquated thinking, suggestive of illicit activities; and forcing people to line up outside just makes the whole thing even less humane. If a retail model sufficies for LCBO, I don't see the rationale for being so uptight about pot shops.

AoD

The whole notion of covering up the stores to prevent views inside is antiquated thinking, suggestive of illicit activities; and forcing people to line up outside just makes the whole thing even less humane. If a retail model sufficies for LCBO, I don't see the rationale for being so uptight about pot shops.

AoD

That's not the businesses fault in this case though. It's government restrictions. I'm sure the stores would rather not have to hire security, check ID on entry, and cover up their actually nice looking store.

From the ACGO handbook:

You must not:
allow anyone who looks under 25 years old to enter the store, unless you first request identification and are satisfied the person is at least 19 years of age

You must display your cannabis and accessories in a way that they cannot be seen by a young person, even from outside the store.

That's not the businesses fault in this case though. It's government restrictions. I'm sure the stores would rather not have to hire security, check ID on entry, and cover up their actually nice looking store.

From the ACGO handbook:

You must not:
allow anyone who looks under 25 years old to enter the store, unless you first request identification and are satisfied the person is at least 19 years of age

You must display your cannabis and accessories in a way that they cannot be seen by a young person, even from outside the store.

I know, that's why I referred to the notion as antiquated (and used LCBO as a counterexample). I have no issues with requiring an ID check, but to do it outside just looks stupid.

AoD

I know, that's why I referred to the notion as antiquated (and used LCBO as a counterexample). I have no issues with requiring an ID check, but to do it outside just looks stupid.

AoD
hopefully they ease up a bit in the future. My thoughts are they overkilled the restrictions because there's a large group of people that were against it and claimed the sky was falling. It also had to go through the senate where the conservative senators voted against it in bloc no matter what was proposed so they kept it strict for the independents and liberal senators. Once the stigma is removed (might take a few years) maybe they can revisit some of these rules.

Back