Toronto One Bloor East | 257.24m | 76s | Great Gulf | Hariri Pontarini

Balconies simply aren't a priority. It's not important. The developer doesn't care that the public can't see what the outer shell is going to look like. Their priority is having the inside of the building ready for occupancy. Having completed balconies is near the bottom of the priority list.
This is incorrect, because the balcony guard needs to be in place to receive occupancy. Given the history of accidents involving balconies in Toronto, with many inspectors, inspection of guards tends to be one of the most stringent parts of the occupancy inspection.

I'm not sure if there is a way around this, but even if there is and you can get partial occupancy for units and prevent access to the balconies, it is still not ideal. Now you have to coordinate occupancy inspections with dozens of different owners, and must complete all work from exterior with no suite access.

Last edited:
This is incorrect, because the balcony guard needs to be in place to receive occupancy. Given the history of accidents involving balconies in Toronto, with many inspectors, inspection of guards tends to be one of the most stringent parts of the occupancy inspection.

I'm not sure if there is a way around this, but even if there is and you can get partial occupancy for units and prevent access to the balconies, it is still not ideal. Now you have to coordinate occupancy inspections with dozens of different owners, and must complete all work from exterior with no suite access.

Sorry, I don't mean it would be done after residents move in. Just that it's not the priority until much later in the process. Once they switch focus to the balcony glass, it will go up quite quickly.

I hate when everyone jumps onto this assumption that since balcony glass installation isn't occurring at a rapid pace, that it's either a defect or supply issue.

Balconies simply aren't a priority. It's not important. The developer doesn't care that the public can't see what the outer shell is going to look like. Their priority is having the inside of the building ready for occupancy. Having completed balconies is near the bottom of the priority list.

Sorry, I don't mean it would be done after residents move in. Just that it's not the priority until much later in the process. Once they switch focus to the balcony glass, it will go up quite quickly.

Exactly, we will see a lot more balcony glass on this building before anyone starts moving in. That's still a ways off and should not be a source of serious concern for anyone.

I hate when everyone jumps onto this assumption that since balcony glass installation isn't occurring at a rapid pace, that it's either a defect or supply issue.

Sorry pal, that's not how construction projects work. The glass balcony work is awarded to a sub contracted trade who has a schedule to meet independent of any other work being performed inside. The 2 have nothing in common. The "developer" would be thrilled if the exterior was completed. For whatever reason, the balcony glass work has been brutally slow on this project which is noticeable because without it the building is a boring box. The glass makes this building.

Sorry pal

Are we in a 1940s movie now?

tumblr_n7dy4pVCZE1qcay1ao1_500.gif

Attachments

• tumblr_n7dy4pVCZE1qcay1ao1_500.gif
    tumblr_n7dy4pVCZE1qcay1ao1_500.gif
    997.8 KB · Views: 1,819
Sorry pal, that's not how construction projects work. The glass balcony work is awarded to a sub contracted trade who has a schedule to meet independent of any other work being performed inside. The 2 have nothing in common. The "developer" would be thrilled if the exterior was completed. For whatever reason, the balcony glass work has been brutally slow on this project which is noticeable because without it the building is a boring box. The glass makes this building.

That's great, but im sure they are doing everything according to their contract. I'm sorry it's not quick enough for you. Perhaps the schedule just reflects my original point that this simply isn't a priority?

Appreciate the updates everyone.

Dont know if this has been discussed before, but are there any more detailed plans to light up the top of the building?

Inexcusably, there's been more than a 12 hour gap in posting in this thread.

From yesterday.

Growing out of Nicolas
DSC00405.jpg

Glowing edge
DSC00419.jpg

Glass Glass Glass
DSC00431.jpg

Shadow play
DSC00432.jpg

The Friendly Giant
DSC00433.jpg

Attachments

• DSC00405.jpg
    DSC00405.jpg
    525.7 KB · Views: 796
  • DSC00419.jpg
    DSC00419.jpg
    535.5 KB · Views: 791
  • DSC00431.jpg
    DSC00431.jpg
    668 KB · Views: 794
  • DSC00432.jpg
    DSC00432.jpg
    695.6 KB · Views: 782
  • DSC00433.jpg
    DSC00433.jpg
    595.5 KB · Views: 780
Looks super optimistic. The way that light interacts with the balcony curves is really cool. I'm glad that they register this well.

Back