Toronto One Bloor East | 257.24m | 76s | Great Gulf | Hariri Pontarini

If they worked on this project any slower they would be going backwards.
I am getting this sinking feeling that this could turn out to be the 21st century version of Bay/Adelaide in the 90s.

This is another one of those sites, like City Hall, where when you walk by, there are only a few people on site and not much is happening. It seems like they are intentionally stalling it for some reason.

Last edited:
Seriously? They're actually moving pretty quick. The reason for why they're not digging anymore has been given, and it's perfectly sound. They only have room for much equipment in the pit, and flooding it with manpower wouldn't speed things up.

I think people take for granted what incredible feats of manpower and engineering these construction sites are. Even the most unexciting (by UT standards) project sites such as Infinity condos or other smaller condos are still quite impressive feats of engineering and take a lot of work. It's not as simple as people make it out to be.

The One Bloor construction site seems like it's moving at a pretty typical/reasonable pace for such a large undertaking, in my opinion. These things don't happen overnight.

I think any worries of the speed of excavation are due to the high profile nature of this project, and the fact that this site has been a very long waiting game pre-groundbreaking. Projects like One Bloor and Trump will always have their efficiency scrutinized simply because they are harder to ignore than say U Condos. Although we havent seen the site get any deeper in the past week or 2 doesn't mean important work isn't being done.

I know this was brought up earlier (in this thread or another) but is all of the excavated material from this construction boom going towards filling out the remaining embayments at the Leslie Street Spit???

Someone mentioned before they are currently building a raft slab. I'm not 100% sure, but I believe this is the same type of platform that was constructed at MLS when they needed to go deeper, but needed a solid foundation and ramps to proceed. So they constructed this platform, first before excavating deeper with concrete ramps that would be used later in the construction process to ferry equipment in and out of the site.

I think you're confusing two things. MLS had the concrete ramps because they needed to remove the ACC's exit ramp for excavation, so they built the new ramp and then excavated under (kind of like what Aura did). Right now 1 Bloor is sinking caissons, and they're doing it above the elevation of the finished excavation because if they were to dig any lower they'd have a hard time getting the rigs out of the hole.

I could be mistaken, but I'm almost positive I saw a CoA sign on the Yonge St hoarding that mentioned they were looking for approval for a 75s storey building. Is that a new sign?

The additional 5 storey's was announced back around May

It looks like they've finished doing whatever they were doing. Hopefully we can get back to excavating this week.

1bj24.jpg

^ Wow do you really think they will get it done that fast? If it's 70 stories and it takes about 1 week per level plus the base... we are looking at over a year and a half just to construct this thing. Then there's the windows, interior, cladding, etc. So considering they haven't even started the podium yet and are still stuck in this dirt hole, I would think that's a little optimistic. But hey, fall 2015 would be amazing if it actually turned out that way.

Back