Toronto One Bloor East | 257.24m | 76s | Great Gulf | Hariri Pontarini

I've asked for the final height of the tower, but it seems that it may not be set in stone (or concrete, steel or glass) yet. It is possible that the final height may not be known until just before the shroud surrounding the mechanical levels are built: just what equipment is ultimately chosen to be held on the roof would determine how high it will go. (As you all know, a 90-storey tower was approved at this site for the earlier plan, so height is not an issue here.) Meanwhile, as some people know already, the shroud surrounding the mechanical penthouse is no longer sloped. This is because of the "complexities associated with the dampening tanks and the crane". With no new renderings to show, the final design up top is now a mystery.

So, what do I know now? Well, the new height to the top of the 75th storey is 239.9 metres. Hope that helps for the time-being.

I heard whisperings that this is being capped at the fifth parking level and then building a below-grade park right above it. Apparently there'll be an elevator to get you to the one level of parking below.

Someone has to explain the story behind this running gag to me

That joke's heyday were those heady days when the Trump site was finally being excavated, and then work on the foundations started, and then the above-ground garage was under construction… and yet through all of that there were many members declaring that the building would never be built: Trump would be capped at the top of the parking garage. Some members will still tell you that Trump will never be built, although the number of those claiming that has finally declined to only a handful now.

Now, anytime people chime in with more impatience regarding construction sites, the capped parking garage quip is the funniest* of all possible responses.

*based only on how often it gets played

Ohhhh....thanks for the explanation! Question to you all (who seem to know wayyyyy more about construction then I), is it possible they are holding out on the top height to try to one up Aura?

Meanwhile, as some people know already, the shroud surrounding the mechanical penthouse is no longer sloped. This is because of the "complexities associated with the dampening tanks and the crane".

Are you f**king kidding me? Unbelievable. This city is forever destined for nothing but marked-down, cut-rate, mediocre architecture. It always has to be a god damned surprise that a developer actually follows through on a design, doesn't it? It's that f**king rare. I can count on one hand the number of buildings that have gone up in this city in the last ten years that haven't been a disappointment in one way or another. It's always one excuse or another, but at the end of the day we're always swallowing some sort of compromise and learning/pretending to like it, and I'm tired of it. This city, its people and its businesses have no pride, no concept of excellence and no ambition. Cost-cutting is the only thing the people of this city understand. God damn it.

I'm with you Ramako... thats one of the main reasons I have cut way back on following Urban Toronto. Not their fault of course, but it's draining to be constantly disappointed and then have people defend the second rate cheap outs with the "we should feel lucky" argument. Welcome to the 21st century where is all about profits and zero about quality and creativeness.

Are you f**king kidding me? Unbelievable. This city is forever destined for nothing but marked-down, cut-rate, mediocre architecture. It always has to be a god damned surprise that a developer actually follows through on a design, doesn't it? It's that f**king rare. I can count on one hand the number of buildings that have gone up in this city in the last ten years that haven't been a disappointment in one way or another. It's always one excuse or another, but at the end of the day we're always swallowing some sort of compromise and learning/pretending to like it, and I'm tired of it. This city, its people and its businesses have no pride, no concept of excellence and no ambition. Cost-cutting is the only thing the people of this city understand. God damn it.

Totally agree!!!! Remember the Sapphire Tower? It was first reduced in height, then not approved because the idiot city councilors said it would cast a shadow on Nathan Philips Square, huh? It's surrounded by towers that cast shadows, morons! I loved that design,they are literally afraid of their own shadow!

Totally agree!!!! Remember the Sapphire Tower? It was first reduced in height, then not approved because the idiot city councilors said it would cast a shadow on Nathan Philips Square, huh? It's surrounded by towers that cast shadows, morons! I loved that design,they are literally afraid of their own shadow!

Anyone who has any experience & knowledge of the proponent would tell you that Sapphire would have been a disaster if built - the city as some like to blame had absolutely no impact whatsoever on the ultimate outcome.

Last edited:
Sapphire Tower was a hideous design, imo. Stinson would have cheaped out a la one king west. It would have blighted the skyline and I'm glad it got canned.

Anyone who has any experience working with or any detailed knowledge of the inner workings of the proponent would tell you that Sapphire would have been a disaster if built - the city as some like to blame had absolutely no impact whatsoever on the ultimate outcome.

i think he means or maybe not but i think if with all the right materials the sapphire could have been real nice. appologise for the off topic of One Bloor east.

Meanwhile, as some people know already, the shroud surrounding the mechanical penthouse is no longer sloped. This is because of the "complexities associated with the dampening tanks and the crane".

The provincial government will be seeking input shortly regarding a rewriting of the condo act.

I believe that changes made to the exterior of a building which result in a significant alteration to the appearance of it, should be included in the list of material changes which would be sufficient cause to allow purchasers to back out of a sale. If I were to commission a house to be built, and what was delivered did not look like what I paid for, I would have recourse. Condo purchasers should have recourse too.

With architecture becoming a more significant lure in the marketing arsenal, developers must be held to account when they do not deliver the architecture that was sold.

Last edited:
As long as people keep buying mediocre, they companies involved will continue to build mediocre. If they could get away with papier-mache, they would. It would be an eye opener to some of these architects if a condo wouldn't sell because it was a terrible design ans were told so buy prospective buyers. Alas, i fear that isn't happening. I met a new student going to architectural/ design school, and one of her first comments was the boring buildings being constructed en mass in Toronto. She doesn't even live there. I had to agree. There is no argument to that statement.

I'm sorry, but your wrong. this building here is an architectual masterpiece, even with the flat roof. lets take a look at innovative architecture that is happening in toronto right now.

Number-One-Bloor-03.jpg

original.gif

theatreparktower1.jpg

Emerald09.jpg

Fer-Abs-donato.jpg

7611635046_90e8da3acf_b.jpg

urbantoronto-1626-13097.jpg

urbantoronto-132-3176.jpg

talkcondo-new-condos-in-toronto-x2-condos.jpg

CityzenHotel1.jpg

Thanks to 42for letting us know that the height of the top of the 75th storey is 239.9 metres. I recognize that the height of the mechanical penthouse will vary, but what is the typical range of height of such structures? Thanks in advance.

Back