Toronto One Bloor East | 257.24m | 76s | Great Gulf | Hariri Pontarini

The walkway is not closed yet. But they are building a new one along the side of the Xerox building that goes to Hayden St.

I wonder why they are bothering with this at all? There is a rear exit from the Xerox building to Hayden street already.

I wonder why they are bothering with this at all? There is a rear exit from the Xerox building to Hayden street already.

I think it's a matter of law with the TTC, that they don't loose that access. If they don't keep it open they loose it. It has something to do with "easement". The TTC will need and want that access in the new building. They are just keeping a presence.

Last edited:
Do you think the new walkway for the public will be enclosed.

1bs16.jpg

"Do you think the new walkway for the public will be enclosed."

I would think so, with a beautiful glass canopy.:)

That's a hell of a lot of rebar of a walkway.

Presumably they'll eventually be excavating below this temporary walkway no? So it probably needs to be well supported.

I still don't understand what the point of a walkway would be. As has been stated above, there is already access through the Xerox building to Hayden, so what purpose could this possibly serve? It's not like Great Gulf is threatening to not connect to the subway once One Bloor opens. I'll try to get someone from Great Gulf on the phone about this on Monday, but it makes zero sense to me.

Sept 15
6155590952_d85834b857_b.jpg

6155046205_2d16531965_b.jpg

6155049663_7c499fe487_b.jpg

6155593352_5ca07ac5fd_b.jpg

That going to be one huge slab of concrete and not sure what it going to be used for.
6155048457_9566092ae4_b.jpg

It looks weird, but I think they're planning to excavate underneath that slab after it's poured. You can see the cast-in plates sitting there at the bottom of the form, and the only thing that makes sense is that they're there to accept some sort of reinforcement beam once they dig out underneath it. Either that or for bracing back to the shoring. One way or the other, the underside of that slab is going to be exposed eventually.

Looking at the photo again, caissons were put in this area first and this could be for one of 2 options. It has been done on other projects using steel support also.

Option one would be use as a tower base for the construction offices stack on top of one another.

Option 2 would be another exit to allow the closing of the current walkway when excavation starts.

I'm currently working at 160 Bloor St East and I must say, the digging they're doing right now is making one hell of a lot of noise! It's not bad inside but then again I am a fair distance away.. Outside I couldn't hear the person I was talking to on my phone!

However I'm not complaining, that is a very good sign.. :)

re: Slab:

If you look closely at the video posted in the Michael McGrath interview:

http://urbantoronto.ca/news/2011/07...-bloor-construction-technology-groundbreaking

You will notice that there is a short, 1s building raised between say, the beginning of the clip to the 0:08 mark. It will be incorporated to the podium later on - and I think it must be vehicular access point or whatever. That's what the slab is for. Wish I have a site plan to confirm.

AoD

Last edited:

Back