Toronto One Bloor East | 257.24m | 76s | Great Gulf | Hariri Pontarini

re: Slab:

If you look closely at the video posted in the Michael McGrath interview:

http://urbantoronto.ca/news/2011/07...-bloor-construction-technology-groundbreaking

You will notice that there is a short, 1s building raised between say, the beginning of the clip to the 0:08 mark. It will be incorporated to the podium later on - and I think it must be vehicular access point or whatever. That's what the slab is for. Wish I have a site plan to confirm.

AoD

I know it will be part of the complex, but based on the width of the slab, too small for truck delivery. Its thick enough to support them.

Time will tell us what this area will be use for unless someone can get hold of the construction drawings that will state what it will be used for.

As it stands now, there is 2 exit from the subway with one exit in the Bay and one in the current building. Once you reach street level, you have currently 3 exit with one to Bloor St, one to the south and one to Yonge. When excavation starts, you will only have 2 street level from the current building. Getting 1,000-3,000 riders off those platform will not be easy.

If something happen at the Yonge & Bloor station, it will be mayham trying to get people off the platforms today. The Bloor line has an west exit to the street, but small.

By right, TTC should had talked to One Bloor about adding a number of exit to it even as fire scape exit.

TTC should have looked at building a south platform for the Bloor line with exit into On Bloor to either get to street level or the Yonge line.

Far too expensive to add a south platform to the Bloor line station: it's entirely under the Hudson's Bay Centre. Nothing to do with One Bloor.

Far too expensive to add a south platform to the Bloor line station: it's entirely under the Hudson's Bay Centre. Nothing to do with One Bloor.

That is true, but a south platform can be built at a huge cost and a nightmare construction process.

This is another example of TTC having no vision when they know there is a major issue there now with the current setup, let alone 20 years from now.

You can have walkways leading from the platform to One Bloor in various location.

Even if TTC moves the southbound line down Yonge as one of their option, One Bloor will be effected by it, since the south end will be south of Bloor St.

Time will tell what happen with TTC and One Bloor.

This is another example of TTC having no vision when they know there is a major issue there now with the current setup, let alone 20 years from now.
Where is the money for a billion-dollar project supposed to come from? The politics for spending a huge amount on an incremental improvement to existing transit
(as opposed to building out new service) is very tough at the best of times, and impossible in the current environment. The TTC has not always been very forward-looking, but I don't think one can realistically blame them here.

OT - Well, if one is honest about it - the TTC really didn't have enough of a vision when they built the Yonge line to start off with, given most of the station configurations for the original line are suboptimal even 20 years ago (prior to the early 90s slump). Hindsight is 20/20 of course.

The debate at this point should be whether to sink massive amounts into this station and still end up with a relatively suboptimal outcome -OR - whether to put that money into a DRL - AND then really get on building it once that decision has been made. As it stands right now, there isn't the slightest hint of committment from anyone other than to study the issue further, in the typical Toronto manner.

AoD

A DRL would be optimal, of course, but the problem is that there is no money for a DRL, and again, building such a line would largely service those who already have some transit. Extending the subway is a perk that a politician can point to come re-election time, while making the current system better is much less of an obvious legacy (however more important and useful it might be). A DRL is just not that politically attractive.

Tulse:

OT again - We don't have several hundred million sitting around for a serious improvement of the Yonge-Bloor interchange either, and if you put that figure into the greater perspective, does it worth the cost vis-a-vis DRL? Maybe not.

AoD

I agree that a DRL would be preferable to just improving B-Y station. (I'll take any further discussion to the appropriate TTC threads.)

Short of blowing up the Hudson's Bay Centre (not a bad idea, at all!), I can't see any way to achieve a possible major improvement to the Bloor - Yonge interchange. And the DRL is pie-in-the-sky, if there ever was one, particularly in the present municipal political environment. I'm not sure where the next major subway improvement will come from, but unlikely to be at Yonge and Bloor.

/end of OT discussion.

Back