Toronto OCAD U: Rosalie Sharp Pavilion | ?m | 3s | OCADU | Bortolotto

Yep, that's more like it. Although, by contrast, that north face.... whoa.
Aren't the cladding the upper part of the north face? You can see the open spots ready for the brackets.

20190301_172623.jpg

Lovely harmony with the waves of the AGO when looking westbound.

Think it really would have benefited from the second layer behind. Would have given this a lot more depth instead of feeling like it's tacked on.

I actually like the tectonic quality of the final built screen more than the strange eggshell-like structure in the renderings, which felt sort of overly fussy.

I do also agree that more should have been done with the building, as the underlying building's still a jumbled mess behind the screen. Don't know what they could have done on a budget, but maybe specifying a dark paneling for the ground floor walls could have helped?

I wonder if painting the columns black could help in reducing their visual prominence and disturbance of the horizontal flows?

Last edited:
I actually like the tectonic quality of the final built screen more than the strange eggshell-like structure in the renderings, which felt sort of overly fussy.

I do also agree that more should have been done with the building, as the underlying building's still a jumbled mess behind the screen. Don't know what they could have done on a budget, but maybe specifying a dark paneling for the ground floor walls could have helped?

I wonder if painting the columns black could help in reducing their visual prominence and disturbance of the horizontal flows?

I agree. I personally would've darkened the underlying building with blacker paneling and then made the the fancy panels a bit whiter. I like the formation of them quite a bit, reminds me a bit of looking down on a city, but the silver doesn't work for me.

EDIT: Here's a quick, basic, rough Photoshop of what I mean:

Last edited:

Back