Toronto OCAD U: Rosalie Sharp Pavilion | ?m | 3s | OCADU | Bortolotto

I fell in for the renders too. Assuming we’re nearing the finish, I’m not really seeing an improvement over
1545369349666.jpeg

a space I always liked.

Last edited:
Not looking very promising at this point. But I'll hold my disgust until it's supposedly finished, or abandoned more like it.

The whole purpose of this project was to make a major esthetic statement. The colour, shape, materials, they all look, at this stage, quite a bit different than as billed.

It may (or may not) be fair to suggest that people temper negativity about architectural expression/outcomes when projects have another purpose, such as delivering residential units in a city starved for housing, for example.

This isn’t that type of project. I’m sure interiors were modernized, but the whole point of all this was to look pretty. I’m finding it harder and harder to see how this turns around as it moves to completion. Millions of dollars of donor funds later, this thing is looking more like a cautionary tale.

But with that said, it’d be a timely one, as OCAD presently is giving due consideration to fucking up the perfect-as-is space below the Aesop building.

The whole purpose of this project was to make a major esthetic statement. The colour, shape, materials, they all look, at this stage, quite a bit different than as billed.

It may (or may not) be fair to suggest that people temper negativity about architectural expression/outcomes when projects have another purpose, such as delivering residential units in a city starved for housing, for example.

This isn’t that type of project. I’m sure interiors were modernized, but the whole point of all this was to look pretty. I’m finding it harder and harder to see how this turns around as it moves to completion. Millions of dollars of donor funds later, this thing is looking more like a cautionary tale.

But with that said, it’d be a timely one, as OCAD presently is giving due consideration to fucking up the perfect-as-is space below the Aesop building.
Why spend so much the hyperventilating about something that simply is not close enough to completion to be sure about yet?!

True a fork actually isn’t in it yet.

I’m seeing red flags is all I’m saying.

Happy to eat my words if this all somehow pulls together.

Improving with each piece added. Methinks we were too quick to judge...

The heavy gray perforated steel over beige paneling? Have an in-person walk-by and let me know. there is no “we”. the materials/colours seem duller, lacking the luminousity as rendered and the curves seem less dramatic/supple. But not sure if we’re waiting on a second layer, as in renders. Also not sure if the major floral piece on the south west corner has been cut (the big square pillar on that corner seems to be staying). In fairness, this building was never going to win a beauty contest with the Gehry addition across the street and so the design cues it took from that building may actually highlight the the distance between the two

Back