9:45 AM, E.T. | November 8, 2012
Canadian, Real Estate
Tags: Real Estate
A
A

Share on email
Follow this
Bookmark and Share

A "mini-Eaton Centre" is planned for the fashionable King West district in Toronto, according to a source familiar with the development.

The source confirmed to BNN that Riocan, Canada's biggest Real Estate Investment Trust in partnership with Allied Properties REIT, are close to finalizing a deal for the purchase of "the Globe lands," prime real estate at the corner of Front Street and Spadina Avenue.

The plan is to build "about 500,000 square feet of fairly unique and high end" retail. The source said the stores wouldn't be quite as exclusive as Bloor Street West, but more tony than Toronto's Queen Street West.

The King West area has rapidly become one of Toronto's most sought after addresses, with restaurants and condos targeted to a young and prosperous demographic.

According to the source, the retailers interested in leasing space in the new development are those from the United States and Europe, as well as Canadian. The project will also include office and residential buildings and possibly a boutique hotel given the success of the nearby Thompson Hotel. Zoning and plans are not yet in place, but the source says "they will both unfold next year."

The Globe and Mail reported earlier this week that Riocan and Allied Properties were in talks to buy the property after Mattamy Homes pulled out of an agreement to buy the lands, which had been targeted for a condominium development.

The Globe is moving to a new building being constructed nearby.

http://www.bnn.ca/News/2012/11/8/Mini-Eaton-Centre-come-to-Torontos-King-West.aspx

I thought it's open already. It's on their website with pictures of the store and stuff.

It may be - I didn't see it when I was in the area but maybe I wasn't looking hard enough. There's already a Stussy on Richmond so maybe that's the one you might be referring to.

So 7-Eleven is taking over the short-lived Kitchen Stuff Plus at Y&D. Garbage! The world could use less 7-Eleven's in prime retail locations.

They're growing like a weed. This is Bay & St. Joseph.

Application: Building Additions/Alterations Status: Not Started

TORONTO ON M5S 3A5

Ward 27: Toronto Centre-Rosedale

Application#: 12 279928 BLD 00 BA Accepted Date: Nov 15, 2012

Project: Multiple Use/Non Residential Interior Alterations

Description: Proposal for interior alterations to ground floor retail unit for new tenant - 7-Eleven.

The Johnston & Murphy store in the TD Centre (former Shoppers Drug Mart location) is now open. I had thought they just sold men's shoes, but they have women's shoes and clothing, as well.

Back