718     1 
News   Jul 04, 2024
 649     0 
News   Jul 04, 2024
 592     1 

Toronto non-mall retail (Odds & Ends)

• Thread starter marksimpson7843
  • Start date
Work begins on the exterior of the new Marshall's on John St.

I just got back from a vacation in the US and I went to a Marshal's for the first time, where I discovered that it's an exact copy of Winners and TJ Max in the US. I'm not so excited now. Don't we already have enough Winners stores as it is?

I just got back from a vacation in the US and I went to a Marshal's for the first time, where I discovered that it's an exact copy of Winners and TJ Max in the US. I'm not so excited now. Don't we already have enough Winners stores as it is?

Owned by the same people, after all.

Likewise for TD Centre (I think scheduled for Wednesday, Sept. 26). Not sure whether this will mean the closure of their Commerce Court location, which is considerably larger.

The TD opening was pushed back to Oct 10. The Commerce Court location will eventually close, but there will be some overlap for a while.

Owned by the same people, after all.

Yep, all of those stores are owned by the same company. Marshall's here are pretty much identical to those in the States. Winners and TJMaxx, on the other hand, are not quite the same. TJMaxx has a lot more home goods than Winners. Most of the home goods here end up in HomeSense (same company, once again.)

Marshall's has always seemed to me like it has more designer brands, but also has always seemed a little more uneven in quality than Winners or TJMaxx.

That's usually how stores like this operate; they carry designer brands, but receive merchandise created especially for sale at discounts--and with quality to match.

The new Rexall in FCP is now open for business. They're making a play for some of the quick lunch traffic--they've got a whole section of fresh fruit, salads, sushi, sandwiches, etc. It also looks like the displaced postal outlet will be moving back inside fairly soon around the corner from the Rexall's.

The Running Room in the TD Centre is also now open.

The Marshalls space is almost ready. I can see it open this time next week.
It opened today. Finally, downtown gets a Marshalls. I'm going to go check it out tonight. It looks huge inside, from what I saw passing by. This could be the start of a serious retail boom in the Entertainment District.

Back