Toronto Montgomery Square | 84.12m | 27s | Rockport Group | RAW Design

Agreed CN Tower, but my point is that Stintz is the planner on this and she approved the NEON which will stand forever as the best example of bad planning in Ward 16 and dire warning to all neighbourhoods in this city. The Montgomery is towering over stable neighbourhoods to the West, just as the NEON does. Don't expect any help from 'Sell Out Stintz'. The Montgomery developer is making up for retaining the stupid old Post Office building. If that was razed the community would be better served by a mid-rise solution, entirely within City Planning Guidelines (Avenues). One which won't create this 26 storey precedent on Yonge Street. Oh well, it's the price we pay for Stintz loving all developers. (She was supposed to show strong support for community and defend the OP!!)

I normally disagree with your position that we shouldn't have tall growth on the east side, and I have no issue with the height of Neon, but I will say I agree with you about the midrise standard on Yonge St and really on most avenues in the midtown area. I think the built form in terms of massing/height along Bathurst north of Eglinton is perfect to be honest, and wouldn't mind seeing similar scale along Yonge north of Eglinton. 8-10 storey street wall from Eglinton to Lawrence with nice setbacks, would work well imho. I don't think I would want to see Yonge in 50 years being a continuous line of 20-30 storey or higher towers from the lake all the way to Steeles. For that reason, setting a precendent of 25 storeys along Yonge much further north of here, that OMB is sure to continue, would be a mistake in my opinion. (Odd that I actually agree with you on this one, Patrick, lol.)

Precedent was set 40 to 50 years ago 2 and 3 blocks south.

As the 30 Roehamptons and 155 Redpaths infill the Apartment Neighbourhoods to the north and south of Eglinton East, developers will turn their eye to the north-west.

As the 30 Roehamptons and 155 Redpaths infill the Apartment Neighbourhoods to the north and south of Eglinton East, developers will turn their eye to the north-west.

Thats why I was saying much further north of here. I think within the circular zone surrounding a major transit hub, there should obviously be some serious density. Futher up yonge, however, 10 storey heights as a streetwall would be appropriate along major avenues and a good example of that can be found along Mt. Pleasant south of Eglinton, for example the chateau royale, and those retirement homes around davisville are perfect along the avenue imo.

That area is in the OP as an Apartment Neighborhood. The property in question, Montgomery Square, is not.

We cannot turn the charm and human level streetscape of north Yonge from Eglinton to Lawrence into the windstorm disaster that is north Yonge between Sheppard & Finch. Planners, Councillors, residents...wake up!

Montgomery Square is designated Mixed Use in the OP which allows for an intensification of residential/commercial density where appropriate.

I would argue 2 blocks away from a major transit hub on an "Avenue" is appropriate.

Intention to designate (emphasis mine):

"This report recommends that City Council state its intention to designate the property at 2384 Yonge Street under Part IV, Section 29 of the Ontario Heritage Act for its cultural heritage value and grant authority for a heritage easement agreement. Located on the west side of Yonge Street between Helendale and Montgomery Avenues in North Toronto, the site contains Postal Station K, which was listed on the City of Toronto Inventory of Heritage Properties in 1974. A development proposal integrates the post office building into a residential development in its entirety and the new owners have agreed to the designation of the property under the Ontario Heritage Act and to enter into a Heritage Easement Agreement with the City."

from http://app.toronto.ca/tmmis/viewAgendaItemHistory.do?item=2013.PB24.2

Just finished up at the Design Review Panel. They pretty much love the project, although you'll have to wait a few weeks for the minutes to come out to get more detailed comments.

Very few differences between the images we have in the dataBase file and what's being presented today. Janet Rosenberg + Studio work on the public space along Yonge, while not quite complete, suggests more public square and fewer planting beds. Rosenberg's office is also suggesting a coordination of sidewalk paving treatments in the surrounding blocks which will commemorate the Upper Canada Rebellion skirmish which took place on this site in 1837. Simple but clever, to go with the simple but clever RAW architecture for the building. Looking forward to being able to share final designs here with everyone.

DRP vote: unanimous for refinement (which means good design, continue to evolve in this direction).

It seems to me the building is old but the site is historic and one has nothing to do with the other. If that is the case it would be interesting to know if there was opposition back in the day to building the post office on the site? Why would they allow a post office to be built on the historic site. What was on the site before the post office? Looks like I have to Google it.

It seems to me the building is old but the site is historic and one has nothing to do with the other. If that is the case it would be interesting to know if there was opposition back in the day to building the post office on the site? Why would they allow a post office to be built on the historic site. What was on the site before the post office? Looks like I have to Google it.

There was blood spilled at Yonge & Eglinton:

pictures-r-2345.jpg

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Montgomery's_Tavern

Oulcott's Hotel
pictures-r-1994.jpg

As to why they allowed Oulcott's Hotel to be replaced by the current Art Deco Postal Station K, I don't think there really wasn't any "heritage preservation" back then in the 1930's. Tons of historic structures were torn down in Toronto throughout the 20th century.

Personally I think Oulcott's Hotel looks better than Postal Station K.

The post office has nothing to do with the battle site. But it's a heritage building itself that should be preserved. This site could use a work of public art to commemorate the Battle of Montgomery's Tavern.

…which is what is being proposed by Janet Rosenberg + Associates for the sidewalk paving in the area.

Back