Toronto Montgomery Square | 84.12m | 27s | Rockport Group | RAW Design

Nimbies gotta realize something: Focus on the architectural quality not the height. This pair are the best D+S condo projects yet, perhaps better than the current aA proposals!

The integration between the old and new here is much better than the "clumsy" attempt at Five.

All these quality Y&E area projects--from E to Art Shoppe to here, makes me think moving to Y&E area would be a wise investment.

Oh, btw, I just came up with a marketing name for a future area condo: Y&E Condos!

Not sure what I find more disappointing- you're failed attempt at humor or your failure to grasp my point. I'm a pro development/anti-nimbie ort of person. 60 storeys at the corner of Yonge & Eglinton? Sure, why not if it's done properly I have no issue with that concept.

Last edited:
For local residents, and anybody interested in good planning, the focus should dwell now on the public realm. By their own admission, the planners in the North York "Community" Planning Department, even the local councillors, aren't very good at that. Thank goodness ARECA is ready with the www.midtownplan.ca -

So was the NEON, outside the Y/E Growth Centre. That didn't stop Stintz approving of a building greater in density than anything existing. There's a big problem with planning in TO and it's called, "councillor-planning".

So was the NEON, outside the Y/E Growth Centre. That didn't stop Stintz approving of a building greater in density than anything existing. There's a big problem with planning in TO and it's called, "councillor-planning".

The Neon is only 20 storeys and it's directly across the street from the subway. Furthermore, immediately adjacent to it is a large building of similar height.

This one at Montgomery should not approved. It sets a horrible precedent for North Yonge & flies in the face of good planning. The developer clearly overpaid for this property and is trying to make up for it by destroying the neighborhood streetscape.

Last edited:
hmm, you do realize all the side streets to the east of Yonge north of Eglinton (for a couple blocks) are full of tall rental buildings (i.e. 20+ story buildings).

Are you arguing the west side shouldn't be ?

The Neon is only 20 storeys and it's directly across the street from the subway. Furthermore, immediately adjacent to it is a large building of similar height.

This one at Montgomery should not approved. It sets a horrible precedent for North Yonge & flies in the face of good planning. The developer clearly overpaid for this property and is trying to make up for it by destroying the neighborhood streetscape.

how so? this is 300 meters from a subway stop, and soon to be home to 2 subway lines. if you were looking 600+ meters away, you may have a point. but 2 blocks north of the subway lines? not so much. (especially since highrises already run an additional 300 meters up yonge, even if just off of it)

hmm, you do realize all the side streets to the east of Yonge north of Eglinton (for a couple blocks) are full of tall rental buildings (i.e. 20+ story buildings).

Are you arguing the west side shouldn't be ?

You don't need me to argue that- it's in the OP. The zoning is different on the east side of Yonge than the west side of Yonge.

The one exception being the giant 36 story rental building on the west side, anyone know the name ? How the heck did that get approved ??

I actually like it quite a bit though, contrasts the low rise area.

Agreed CN Tower, but my point is that Stintz is the planner on this and she approved the NEON which will stand forever as the best example of bad planning in Ward 16 and dire warning to all neighbourhoods in this city. The Montgomery is towering over stable neighbourhoods to the West, just as the NEON does. Don't expect any help from 'Sell Out Stintz'. The Montgomery developer is making up for retaining the stupid old Post Office building. If that was razed the community would be better served by a mid-rise solution, entirely within City Planning Guidelines (Avenues). One which won't create this 26 storey precedent on Yonge Street. Oh well, it's the price we pay for Stintz loving all developers. (She was supposed to show strong support for community and defend the OP!!)

as long as the development is east of the community centre who cares. The development should be on both sides anyways it doesn't make sense it all being on one side... More people within 500m radius of the subway station.

Agreed CN Tower, but my point is that Stintz is the planner on this and she approved the NEON which will stand forever as the best example of bad planning in Ward 16 and dire warning to all neighbourhoods in this city. The Montgomery is towering over stable neighbourhoods to the West, just as the NEON does. Don't expect any help from 'Sell Out Stintz'. The Montgomery developer is making up for retaining the stupid old Post Office building. If that was razed the community would be better served by a mid-rise solution, entirely within City Planning Guidelines (Avenues). One which won't create this 26 storey precedent on Yonge Street. Oh well, it's the price we pay for Stintz loving all developers. (She was supposed to show strong support for community and defend the OP!!)

For someone with 'WardWatcher' in his / her signature, you're remarkably detached from reality. Stintz is not a planner, she's the councillor for Ward 16.

Also, "Sell Out Stintz?" Damn, that's embarrassing.

Back