Mississauga Mississauga Transitway | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx | IBI Group

It's also unclear to me how the homeowner could watch a guy urinating outside the bathroom, on the other side of their big fence.

They are peeking Toms and nothing better to do. Great story telling folks as well.

Most of Mississauga is NIMBY's and think single homes is the way to while expecting taxes to be low.

I have piss a lot of these folks off when speaking to council on various Urban and Transit project. Its not the only council I have spoken before and telling the NIMBY's folks off as well council. Done it at TTC meeting, as well asking some hard question at Metrolinx BOD meetings over the years.

Must miss the building when I was last there or thought nothing of it at all to check it out.

Living in Erin Mills, and seeing the petitions that I do (and those discovered online) I can tell you we are one of the worst "trigger-happy" NIMBY's, probably in the GTA...
I am a student, finishing my masters in planning, and this recent news is traumatizing - what on earth can one do in a silent community, that leaps up and attacks, but never bothers to go to the consultation or follow the projects in progress (or show any sense of progressive values)...

Welcome to the forum and amen to that (though I am not necessarily convinced it is the worst, and that's not meant as a compliment for the NIMBYism there)!

And from the article:

Metrolinx has acted above the law and stripped Mississauga residents of the most sensitive and meaningful place in their lives – their homes.

That's just irresponsible and BS "journalism" as a lead-in - as if Metrolinx went in and expropriated their properties - which by the way does happen for legitimate reasons. Okay, so the easy solution in this case would be to build a barrier at a 100K or whatnot. Problem solved - it isn't rocket science.

Surprisingly, being Parrish hasn't been that bad of a thing. She's cleaned up quite a bit and her record on issues at council has been pretty good.

Until we hit the extend the Line 2 and damn the consequences bit.

AoD

Last edited:
Hopefully Metrolinx can make it right by installing a taller noise wall along the property line. Those small wood fences don't offer much privacy/noise mitigation.

Living right next to a new bus terminal would be pretty frustrating.

Hopefully Metrolinx can make it right by installing a taller noise wall along the property line. Those small wood fences don't offer much privacy/noise mitigation.

Living right next to a new bus terminal would be pretty frustrating.

Hopefully they can - and they can also install baffles to shield the light and have it directed downward.

AoD

Or you know... the residents can take initiative to hide the structure, within their own property. It's not that difficult. My parents put up evergreens in their backyard to hide the shed on the property that abuts theirs. Now they have some greenery in the back, and the shed is hidden. No complaining needed, no interviews with reporters, no lost sleep.

Or you know... the residents can take initiative to hide the structure, within their own property. It's not that difficult. My parents put up evergreens in their backyard to hide the shed on the property that abuts theirs. Now they have some greenery in the back, and the shed is hidden. No complaining needed, no interviews with reporters, no lost sleep.

Metrolinx could've planted trees too. Just like lots of other public and commercial properties have trees plented at their edges. The washroom doesn't have to be as close to the houses. The exhaust from the washroom doesn't have to point towards the houses. The lights don't have to shine towards people's houses. It would have been easy for Metrolinx to avoid conflict if they actually cared to. Because there are probably hundreds of other brightly-lit public and commercial properties in Mississauga that somehow avoid conflict with neighbouring residents. So you are right, this situation is not unique.

Metrolinx could've planted trees too. Just like lots of other public and commercial properties have trees plented at their edges. The washroom doesn't have to be as close to the houses. The exhaust from the washroom doesn't have to point towards the houses. The lights don't have to shine towards people's houses. It would have been easy for Metrolinx to avoid conflict if they actually cared to. Because there are probably hundreds of other brightly-lit public and commercial properties in Mississauga that somehow avoid conflict with neighbouring residents. So you are right, this situation is not unique.

You live near Heartland so ill use a local example. There were plenty of complaints about the lighting from all of the car dealerships on Mavis shining right into people's bedrooms, and the constant announcements from the outdoor PA systems. I don't remember any news stories about those lights or blaming the city. People have simply adapted.

In this situation, its one house facing this building. That is all. The story and situation is being overblown.

You live near Heartland so ill use a local example. There were plenty of complaints about the lighting from all of the car dealerships on Mavis shining right into people's bedrooms, and the constant announcements from the outdoor PA systems. I don't remember any news stories about those lights or blaming the city. People have simply adapted.

In this situation, its one house facing this building. That is all. The story and situation is being overblown.

The situation may be overblown....but, honestly, I am a little disappointed in Metrolinx for not being able to see this in advance and not, as Doady says, having the foresight to mitigate it by either offering to plant trees or vent the building in a different direction.

Your right, this one neighbour is getting a lot of attention but it cuts both ways...if it is only one neighbour it should not have been so difficult to avoid this in the first place.

Being a good neighbour cuts both ways....I recall my neighbour was going to build a shed near our fence...he told us about it and oferred to buy us a couple of trees to block our view of his shed roofline......his shed was perfectly legal, it would never have dawned on me to ask for trees and he had no obligation to offer....but it was nice he did (we declined and just said, we were going to build a shed next year so we will just nestle our us up against yours and they will offset each other).

In an era of transit expansion, and knowing that people are likely going to be sensitive to their changing environs....I would have liked to have thought that someone at ML could have said "you know, if that was my house I might not like having a changed view and a washroom venting into my backyard....is there something we can do to mitigate it?"

So basically, there is a single household in Mississauga whose neighbour built a shed near their back property line. I fail to see how this is newsworthy.

It is not at all unusual for a building to have another building near it. That's sort of the whole point of a city, actually.

April 17
Had my first ride on a DD bus as well going to Kitchener. Front seat view no different from what I rode in Europe, other than doing it on the hwy.

Our first stop was the Erin Mills Station and this video show clearly that the driver washrooms like I have stated in the past could be built around the bus loop than where it is now.

There is room on the south side of the Transitway to have it built there, but extra cost is needed to take the service to there from where it is now.

They have yet to fill in the gap between the 2 bridges at Winston Churchill as well the ramp for the Transitway. Could not see were things are for building the underpass under Winston Churchill.

Last edited:

Back