Mississauga Mississauga Transitway | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx | IBI Group

It one of New Flyer new line of E Bus and an artic.
Well what do councilor know about construction when they screw up this project from day one by not investing the money to build it right ?? Another group of NIMBY.

Well! I was wrong as it wasn't a NF bus, but an California BYD Artic E bus.

Will be interesting to see if MT goes after a few next year when buses are to be order as test base before buying a feet of them, depending on the price.

Well what did they expect when they chose the lowest compliant bid? When it comes to the bidding process for a major infrastructure project, local governments as well as the provincial are being very delusional in terms of what to expect from the lowest compliant bid. Metrolinx, the City of Toronto, and the City of Mississauga all have prime examples of this but yet they keep repeating the same process expecting that they're wont be any cost overruns, delays, bankruptcies, etc..

The City of Mississauga made their own bed, and now they they've got to sleep in it. That's too bad for them.

I wrote about the Mississauga Transitway last week.

Some of my thoughts:
- The corridor isn't conducive to TOD.
- Stations such as Tomken and Cawthra are nearly impossible to walk to. There's not even a sidewalk on the west side of Tomken 100 metres north of the Transitway, the same side of the street that the entrances are on.
- The controversy about the Erin Mills station misses the biggest scandal: station access and local land use.
- The Transitway has been value-engineered to such a degree that useful connections at Creditview, Mavis were lost.
- Rathburn Road is to the Mississauga Transitway what Albert and Slater is to the Ottawa Transitway. Ottawa is fixing that with a light rail subway.

If you want to move buses quickly, the Transitway is a good place to start. If you want to move people, it's not quite so effective:

Missed opportunities on the Mississauga Transitway

Not having a connection with the Creditview GO is like not having a Union Station on the TTC's Line 1.

Proposed:
gotransit-2109-01.gif

What they got:
mississauga_transitway_map_en-670x340.jpg

It's labelled on the white map.
what is lablled on the white map is "Creditview / GO "

I think the slash is important....one of them (Creditview) is a road...and perhaps they are referring to the nearby (but not right there) Erindale GO station?

In any event, I have a hard time thinking any station there would be analogous to Union Station

EDIT: Nearby is about 1.25km away it seems.

Last edited:
The real problem is that Mississauga is built around the automobile. Their "downtown" was built with the car in mind, with no commuter train connection, nor within walking distance. Worse, sprawl forced destinations to be f-a-r apart, again requiring a car. The GO Train stations are no where near Mississauga's "downtown".

The two closest GO Train stations to "downtown" are at Cooksville and at Erindale. Closest to being a "Union" Station of any sort in Mississauga.

See link.

Last edited:
The real problem is that Mississauga is built around the automobile. Their "downtown" was built with the car in mind, with no commuter train connection, nor within walking distance.

To be fair, GO trains can only serve so many points within a given City due to the nature of rail lines.

A number of times, after visiting Waterloo, I've taken the 25 GO Bus to Square One to get home. Seeing as I lived near Exhibition GO, rather than take another GO Bus on congested highways to Union+TTC home, I usually took the MiWay 19 Hurontario bus south from Square One to Port Credit GO then the Lakeshore West GO Train east 3 stops to Exhibition. The MiWay bus ride from Square One to Port Credit GO was not terribly long, usually--Google Maps pegs it at about 30 minutes, which seems about right. However, commuters travelling at peak have to option of using Cooksville GO station, which is only a ~15 minute ride to/from Square One.

And let's not forget the upcoming Hurontario LRT will shorten trip times on that route significantly, making the Square One - Cooksville/Port Credit transit commute even less of an issue.

what is lablled on the white map is "Creditview / GO "

I think the slash is important....one of them (Creditview) is a road...and perhaps they are referring to the nearby (but not right there) Erindale GO station?

In any event, I have a hard time thinking any station there would be analogous to Union Station

EDIT: Nearby is about 1.25km away it seems.

It's possible that Erindale GO would have been relocated further north under the original transitway plan. It would have been a useful interchange for some people, however I agree that comparing it to Union station is a bit of a stretch.

I wrote about the Mississauga Transitway last week.
- The corridor isn't conducive to TOD.

I don't disagree, but with a vision, money and time of course, the 403 corridor could be developed. It would mean burying the power lines and re-configuring the highway ramps to bring the stations closer to the street. Doing this, building it out fully with the stops on Credit View and Mavis, and removing the parking lots would open the area for mixed use, mid-rise development along the Transitway. Maybe it would even increase ridership enough to warrant upgrading it to an LRT.

Ridership should also increase once MiWay is fully re-configured to serve the transit stations over next few years.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't disagree, but with a vision, money and time of course, the 403 corridor could be developed. It would mean burying the power lines and re-configuring the highway ramps to bring the stations closer to the street. Doing this, building it out fully with the stops on Credit View and Mavis, and removing the parking lots would open the area for mixed use, mid-rise development along the Transitway. Maybe it would even increase ridership enough to warrant upgrading it to an LRT.

Ridership should also increase once MiWay is fully re-configured to serve the transit stations over next few years.

But why would you want to redevelop the 403 corridor - arguably one of the most difficult one to urbanize - just for the sake of the transitway when there are so much more low hanging fruits to be improved upon, with far greater bang for the buck at that in Mississauga?

AoD

Last edited:
I want the City of Toronto to tear down the Gardiner Expressway, and I think trying to redevelop 403 corridor is a waste of time.

Should be Erindale GO Train Station, located near Rathburn, Burnhamthorpe, Creditview, and 403.

See link.

No. Erindale GO Station is beside Burnhamthorpe. Transitway is beside the 403. No way transitway can connect to Erindale. A ramp to allow buses to get on/off at Creditview is enough.

The real problem is that Mississauga is built around the automobile. Their "downtown" was built with the car in mind, with no commuter train connection, nor within walking distance. Worse, sprawl forced destinations to be f-a-r apart, again requiring a car. The GO Train stations are no where near Mississauga's "downtown".

The two closest GO Train stations to "downtown" are at Cooksville and at Erindale. Closest to being a "Union" Station of any sort in Mississauga.

See link.

The City Centre Transit Terminal plus GO Square One Bus Terminal sees tens of thousands of riders per weekday. Many times more riders than Cooksville and Erindale combined.

Union is a transit hub where multiple transit lines converge. Hence, the name "Union". Erindale and Cooksville are nothing like that.

And Mississauga's downtown is not real because it doesn't have a commuter train station to take people to their workplace in Toronto? Yyyyeah. That makes a lot of sense.

Back