Mississauga Mississauga Transitway | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx | IBI Group

But why would you want to redevelop the 403 corridor - arguably one of the most difficult one to urbanize just for the sake of the transitway when there are so much more low hanging fruits to be improved upon, with far greater bang for the buck at that in Mississauga?

AoD

For me the 403 and the transitway runs right through the middle of the city. Having the Hurontario line and the Transitway as the main backbone of the city's transit system guarantees quick access to transit for most people in the city. i.e. Putting an LRT on Dundas between Kipling and Hurontario doesn't do much to help people in the rest of the city (that's not to say I don't support it, the more transit the merrier). Maybe you could compare it to a chicken or egg problem in that people in the Erin Mills area won't take transit as much as someone on Dundas mainly because it's not frequent or reliable enough, transit frequency won't be increased till ridership increases. So, planners have to be proactive about these things. We know making transit convenient for people will increase ridership, that's a major reason I advocate for prioritizing the Transitway. The potential for development along the corridor can provide additional incentive for prioritization of the transitway by the city and provincial government.

Having said that, as you said there are other areas of Mississauga that can be redeveloped, but I don't see why they have to be mutually exclusive. Developers would be licking their lips if the city was to free up more potential land for them to build on.

Last edited by a moderator:
mississauga_transitway_map_en-670x340.jpg

Yeah, it's as if the East Transitway and West Transitway have a complete fundamental disagreement over what the Transitway is supposed to be.
The East Transitway says it's an urban mass transit system, giving high reliability local access.
The West Transitway says it's virtually an inter-city express system.

That it skips Mississauga Rd, Creditview Rd, and Mavis Rd all in a row is ridiculous, and it limits access for a large hunk of west Mississauga. Access in the east industrial park is rather excellent, but you need to connect that to where people live!

Thankfully, they will always be able to add the in-fill stations later, but it would be nice to get that on some kind of medium-range plan.

Last edited:
Yeah, it's as if the East Transitway and West Transitway have a complete fundamental disagreement over what the Transitway is supposed to be.
The East Transitway says it's an urban mass transit system, giving high reliability local access.
The West Transitway says it's virtually an inter-city express system.

That it skips Mississauga Rd, Creditview Rd, and Mavis Rd all in a row is ridiculous, and it limits access is for a large hunk of west Mississauga. Access in the east industrial park is rather excellent, but you need to connect that to where people live!

Thankfully, they will always be able to add the in-fill stations later, but it would be nice to get that on some kind of medium-range plan.

I think it suffered from The Cheapening. That's why the West Transitway is just a brutal excuse for rapid transit, using existing interchanges and adding minutes of looping around and waiting for lights. If Mississauga did it right, there would be new flyovers/flyunders from Square One to the north side of the 403.

I think it suffered from The Cheapening. That's why the West Transitway is just a brutal excuse for rapid transit, using existing interchanges and adding minutes of looping around and waiting for lights. If Mississauga did it right, there would be new flyovers/flyunders from Square One to the north side of the 403.

Yep. Along with fly-unders at Erin Mills Parkway to the 403, and a tunnel at the City Centre Terminal, similar to the one built for the Transitway (and now the LRT) at St-Laurent Shopping Centre in Ottawa.

The use of 403 bus bypass lanes and Rathburn Road is only temporary. The long-term plan still calls for a full transitway from Erin Mills to Hurontario, with new stations at Creditview, Square One and Hurontario. I've said this before, even in this thread, but it seems you guys are determined to ignore it.

http://www6.mississauga.ca/onlinemaps/planbldg/MOP/Schedules/6-TransNetCntre_V8.pdf
http://www6.mississauga.ca/onlinemaps/planbldg/missplan/centerin.pdf
http://www6.mississauga.ca/onlinemaps/planbldg/missplan/ecredit.pdf
http://www6.mississauga.ca/onlinemaps/planbldg/missplan/citycent.pdf

The use of 403 bus bypass lanes and Rathburn Road is only temporary. The long-term plan still calls for a full transitway from Erin Mills to Hurontario, with new stations at Creditview, Square One and Hurontario. I've said this before, even in this thread, but it seems you guys are determined to ignore it.

http://www6.mississauga.ca/onlinemaps/planbldg/MOP/Schedules/6-TransNetCntre_V8.pdf
http://www6.mississauga.ca/onlinemaps/planbldg/missplan/centerin.pdf
http://www6.mississauga.ca/onlinemaps/planbldg/missplan/ecredit.pdf
http://www6.mississauga.ca/onlinemaps/planbldg/missplan/citycent.pdf
That what the 2004 EA plan call for to be built from Day ONE.

What does "LONG TERM" mean these days????? Your life time or your child, your Grandchild or your Great Grandchild lifetime???

Ridgway was to be built at the same time as the others station be was removed due to cost.

This Thing was gutted due to cost that was under estimated in 2004 that I said it was then. Can't be upgraded to LRT since this is a GO Thing and GO doesn't run LRT at all.

That what the 2004 EA plan call for to be built from Day ONE.

What does "LONG TERM" mean these days????? Your life time or your child, your Grandchild or your Great Grandchild lifetime???

Ridgway was to be built at the same time as the others station be was removed due to cost.

This Thing was gutted due to cost that was under estimated in 2004 that I said it was then. Can't be upgraded to LRT since this is a GO Thing and GO doesn't run LRT at all.

I think you are confusing the 1992 EA with 2004 EA.

But yeah, you're right, the full transitway likely won't be built until my great grandchild is near death. I'm 30 now, so maybe another 200 years give or take.

Because it's not like GO is building or planning any other transitways or anything.

but it seems you guys are determined to ignore it.
And we do it because of the visceral joy we all get out of seeing you slowly go mad. ;)

Seriously though, what I was saying is that I hope to see movement on at least assigning some kind of priority to in-fill stations. Creditview was on a plan, once, but was axed and hasn't been seen or heard of since. With "full" build-out steadily approaching completion, it's time to begin discussion for the next steps. And I'd say that step one is seeing some acknowledgement that there are more steps to take!

And of course, Creditview may have been on that old plan, but Mississauga and Mavis are still missing, from a network coverage perspective.

Ages ago I mentioned how stupid the MiWay Transitway map was and the above one was the one I meant.

If you were new to the system, a tourist, or an occasional rider you would think that there are 2 different segments and lines.
You don't see the TTC {or anyother system on the planet} having different colours and signs for the subway map when it is underground or at-grade because it makes no sense so why does MiWay use it?

It's the stupidest thing and makes it unnecessarily confusing and disjointed.

Ages ago I mentioned how stupid the MiWay Transitway map was and the above one was the one I meant.

If you were new to the system, a tourist, or an occasional rider you would think that there are 2 different segments and lines.
You don't see the TTC {or anyother system on the planet} having different colours and signs for the subway map when it is underground or at-grade because it makes no sense so why does MiWay use it?

It's the stupidest thing and makes it unnecessarily confusing and disjointed.

The map you're ranting about is from a GO Transit project information page. So no, MiWay does not "use it", it's not an official transit map, and nobody relies on it to figure out where to go. That's what this map is for.

Mississauga_Transitway_Map_FEB2016.png

Attachments

• Mississauga_Transitway_Map_FEB2016.png
    Mississauga_Transitway_Map_FEB2016.png
    159 KB · Views: 606
Btw, is anyone noticing the mess they're making of the Mississauga routes in general? The 26 no longer serves Square One! 31 Folkway's cancelled, 36 Colonial's on the chopping block. 10 Bristol had to be lengthened because 65 Barondale's cancelled. The Kennedy bus no longer goes to Square One. And apparently Erin Mills Town Centre will no longer be a terminal. Yikes.

Btw, is anyone noticing the mess they're making of the Mississauga routes in general? The 26 no longer serves Square One! 31 Folkway's cancelled, 36 Colonial's on the chopping block. 10 Bristol had to be lengthened because 65 Barondale's cancelled. The Kennedy bus no longer goes to Square One. And apparently Erin Mills Town Centre will no longer be a terminal. Yikes.
Its a good thing while being a bad thing.

26 should be 100% on Burnhamthorpe and is part of the plan to do a grid system as well remove routes out of Sq One to reduce the need for a larger one which will still have to be built at a future date. In fact, I would only run it to South Common Mall on Burnhamthorpe 100% where it would loop, with the existing line being part of different route. Oakville Transit could take over some of 26 route.

There a move to move various terminal to the Transitway to service GO and justify the building of it.

Route 10 is a joke more so now than before. 65 was dumb and useless.

31 has never seen many riders even when it was a 26 route.

The amount of riders to be moved by miWay on the Transitway is a drop in the bucket compare to what is plan for GO to do and why I refer it as a GO Thing.

The Kennedy 53 bus opens up a better way to service the Hershey Centre as well Cooksville GO Station, but not going there now is dumb.

Back