Mississauga Mississauga Transitway | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx | IBI Group

Good afternoon ShonTron,

"The Transitway will end at Renforth and Eglinton. A short walk to perhaps two office buildings, maybe an industrial mall or two, at best."

Think of it as a gateway to the airport, opening the door to future extension possibilities. Also, future development will most likely be scued in favour of coalescing around stations, with the gaps slowly filling in. What we see now could only be the beginning.

"Many, if not most, of the offices in the sprawling Airport Corporate Centre aren't close enough to the Transitway to be walkable. A shuttle bus will be required to get to and from the Transitway stations."

That may be, but it's still a good start and certainly better than no transitway whatsoever. A shuttle bus ride is better than a taxi ride from home, for now.

Remember, slow and gradual.

Perhaps that will also open the door to the possibility of implementing a small-scale, neighbourhood-specific bike share system that could help link the commuters from their Transitway stations to their offices. It could even be corporately subsidized, as I doubt any office building will be more than a 30-minute bicycle ride away.

"NIMBYs did successfully oppose a proposed station at Mississauga Road. But it would have been value-engineered out of existence -- like the City Centre tunnel, and stations at Mavis and Creditview -- as well anyway."

Slow and gradual ☺

The Transitway will end at Renforth and Eglinton. A short walk to perhaps two office buildings, maybe an industrial mall or two, at best. Many, if not most, of the offices in the sprawling Airport Corporate Centre aren't close enough to the Transitway to be walkable. A shuttle bus will be required to get to and from the Transitway stations.

I don't know where you people get this information from. While the areas from Dixie to Renforth south of the 401 may have a small percentage of the entire area's office space, it is still quite a significant number of jobs within a 15 minute walk, not to mention plenty of space to develop. There's Mercedes Benz Financial, Nissan, Tata Consultancy Services, Accenture, Ricoh, Bayer, Bell, Sobeys etc.

I don't know where you people get this information from. While the areas from Dixie to Renforth south of the 401 may have a small percentage of the entire area's office space, it is still quite a significant number of jobs within a 15 minute walk, not to mention plenty of space to develop. There's Mercedes Benz Financial, Nissan, Tata Consultancy Services, Accenture, Ricoh, Bayer, Bell, Sobeys etc.
Tata recently moved their offices from Mississauga to University and Dundas in downtown Toronto.

Ricoh and Accenture (as well as Nissan, PepsiCo, Hershey, Brewers Retail, General Mills, and many more), have their properties up on Explorer Drive. That's great if you want Highway 401 exposure, but it's a long walk from Eglinton Avenue and the Transitway. Bayer is one of the few buildings easily accessible via the Transitway; that's one of the two office buildings easily walkable to the U/C Renforth Hub. It does do better at Tahoe and Etobicoke Creek Stations, where Sobeys and the back offices of Bell, TD, etc., are much closer to Eglinton Avenue and the Transitway.

And Tata moved downtown, where transit is much more accessible.

Ricoh and Accenture (as well as Nissan, PepsiCo, Hershey, Brewers Retail, General Mills, and many more), have their properties up on Explorer Drive. That's great if you want Highway 401 exposure, but it's a long walk from Eglinton Avenue and the Transitway. Bayer is one of the few buildings easily accessible via the Transitway; that's one of the two office buildings easily walkable to the U/C Renforth Hub. It does do better at Tahoe and Etobicoke Creek Stations, where Sobeys and the back offices of Bell, TD, etc., are much closer to Eglinton Avenue and the Transitway.

And Tata moved downtown, where transit is much more accessible.

It's a 15 minutes walk from Eglinton to Explorer. People downtown walk those distance daily, so I don't see that being a huge issue. And, as I said, there is plenty of space to develop.

It's a 15 minutes walk from Eglinton to Explorer. People downtown walk those distance daily, so I don't see that being a huge issue. And, as I said, there is plenty of space to develop.

Walking downtown, with the benefit of PATH and streetscape is a very, very different affair from walking the same distance in the burbs - particularly routes that are lined by parking lots. Plus there is the matter of choice - for the majority of workers in downtown - parking and driving around, much less getting around quickly in downtown in a non-option. Much less the case in ACC - walking 15 mins just to ride a busway is not a very competitive option.

AoD

Last edited:
Walking downtown, with the benefit of PATH and streetscape is a very, very different affair from walking the same distance in the burbs - particularly routes that are lined by parking lots. Plus there is the matter of choice - for the majority of workers in downtown - parking and driving around, much less getting around quickly in downtown in a non-option. Much less the case in ACC - walking 15 mins just to ride a busway is not a very competitive option.

AoD

And a 15 minute walk in Downtown is the equivalent of going two or three subway stops. Queen Street to Union is about 10 minutes. Dundas to Union is about 15. People will often take the subway from Dundas/St. Patrick to Union Station. You have the choice of urban streets with wide sidewalks, the PATH, or the subway.

A lot of people do take the subway to go that distance downtown, no one is going to dispute that, and the Path of course provides another alternative where you rightly mention driving is impractical for most people.

The ACC in that area does have a fairly grid based road system, there not many winding roads there i.e. what people consider typical of a suburban road system. The parking lots in the area have for the most part been placed at the back of buildings, which again makes it easier for people on foot. Buses also will be available to service the area, so it's not like walking will be the only option for people. And as I have stated before, there is plenty of space for new mid-rise office development that is built to grid.

I choose to remain optimistic about that triangle enclosed by highway 401, Eglinton Avenue, and Etobicoke Creek... as well as what's around Creekbank and Tahoe stations nearby.

This is not downtown Toronto and I cannot expect it to behave like one. This is what exists in the real world at this moment.
I can subject it to criteria from another place with different circumstances and find its performance wanting, but then what? If I'm not willing to level the field, then it's only normal.

Or I can customize (dial down) my criteria in light of the context, and be a bit more "merciful", knowing that the best is yet to come. Nascent places need people who are tolerant of a long-term, baby-steps approach and patient with being temporarily "uncool".

Things are relative, and if I turn my nose up on Mississauga's ACC when compared to downtown Toronto's standard, then I should be quiet when others give me a taste of my own medicine and turn their noses up on downtown Toronto in favour of, say, Central London.

So, you choose: will it be a smug eye-roll and dismissive smirk... or a compassionate encouragement and comradely guidance?

Only one of those is cool.

Nowhere in Mississauga is as urban is downtown Toronto. Obivously we should just stop funding transit in the 905 altogether. Stop throwing money in the trash and let's trash MiWay system instead.

Especially Eglinton Ave - Missisauga's second busiest east-west transit corridor, the city's third busiest corridor overall, one of the top 10 busiest bus corridors in the entire 905 - it is a gigantic waste of money, millions of dollars each year. And now they are building busway??? Where do they get such a fucking stupid idea. It's just exacerbating the problem. If you waste so much money, the solution isn't to waste even more money.

Economics 101. You provide a service, it should be where there are customers. ShonTron is right. For transit, Mississauga isn't that place. Especially not Eglinton Ave.

Nowhere in Mississauga is as urban is downtown Toronto. Obivously we should just stop funding transit in the 905 altogether. Stop throwing money in the trash and let's trash MiWay system instead.

Especially Eglinton Ave - Missisauga's second busiest east-west transit corridor, the city's third busiest corridor overall, one of the top 10 busiest bus corridors in the entire 905 - it is a gigantic waste of money, millions of dollars each year. And now they are building busway??? Where do they get such a fucking stupid idea. It's just exacerbating the problem. If you waste so much money, the solution isn't to waste even more money.

Economics 101. You provide a service, it should be where there are customers. ShonTron is right. For transit, Mississauga isn't that place. Especially not Eglinton Ave.
I'm really getting sick of the emphasis on improving bussing in 'Sauga. I live right near Burnamthorpe and walking on Eglinton Ave is definitely one of the most depriving things to do. Wth the amount of development now coming to Eglinton Ave (Hurontario and Eglinton NW Corner, Daniels Erin Mills, Pemberton Erin Mills Downtown) I really don't understand why the city is thinking bussing will help support the amount of incoming residents to this thoroughway. I love that they city is now moving to a streetcar-like system along Hurontario, but honestly, Eglinton Ave needs some consideration in the next 10-20 years.

Best thing for Eglinton will be an BRT, since the ridership will not be there to support an Tram system even though I have this as one of 7 LRT lines in Mississauga in the next 30-50 years.

Until you tear down the buildings backing on to Eglinton or any of the major road at least 200 feet from the edge of the outside edge of the road ROW and replace it and the excess land with higher density building facing those roads, hard to put in high order of transit in the first place.

Having 2 location of high density on Eglinton is a drop in the bucket for high order transit. You are far off using the Transitway.

I'm really getting sick of the emphasis on improving bussing in 'Sauga. I live right near Burnamthorpe and walking on Eglinton Ave is definitely one of the most depriving things to do. Wth the amount of development now coming to Eglinton Ave (Hurontario and Eglinton NW Corner, Daniels Erin Mills, Pemberton Erin Mills Downtown) I really don't understand why the city is thinking bussing will help support the amount of incoming residents to this thoroughway. I love that they city is now moving to a streetcar-like system along Hurontario, but honestly, Eglinton Ave needs some consideration in the next 10-20 years.

Well it IS Mississauga after all. Mississauga is not downtown Toronto. That's why we talk more about buses and not streetcars.

Hurontario LRT is already unusual, right? An LRT line in post-war suburbia with no connection to the central city for $1+ billion. What other LRTs in North America are like this?

Eglinton corridor was supposed to be much higher density. The plan was much more ambitious... maybe there was a chance for it to have LRT too but now it's gone.

The MiWay Transitway is an EXCELLENT piece of infrastructure and far excels anything Toronto has manages in the past quarter century. A lot of thought has gone into this line assuring that it is convenient, reliable, and very fast.

This line will make getting to the Eglinton LRT, airport, or any areas north of the 401 far easier than it is now. It has taken a while but they have done it right the first time with grade separation. It also serve as an excellent connection for people going from suburban Toronto to the Western GTA like Oak/Bur/Ham {or vice-versa} instead of having to take a GO train to Union and then transfer back.

This line has the flexibility that an LRT wouldn't including being able to get rid of much of the dreaded 'last mile' which greatly hurts rapid transit in more suburban areas.

This line will definitely go down as one of the world's premier BRT systems. This is Mississauga's first foray into rapid transit and it's a damn good one.

Back