Toronto Mirvish Village (Honest Ed's Redevelopment) | 85.04m | 26s | Westbank | Henriquez Partners

Although I'm happy that it's being included, I'm finding the heritage preservation of this particular building to be a little bit laughable... considering that there's maybe 5% of the building that remains.

I'm not familiar with all the regulations/restrictions they had for this building, but would it not have been simpler to just tear these walls down, reuse materials where possible, and rebuild the facade from scratch to match the existing? Especially for such a small building? I'd be curious to know if they're able to achieve the same level of building performance with this "facadism" vs rebuilding from scratch.

Maybe I'm in the wrong, but it feels like they're barely conserving any heritage with how it's currently being done.

Although I'm happy that it's being included, I'm finding the heritage preservation of this particular building to be a little bit laughable... considering that there's maybe 5% of the building that remains.

I'm not familiar with all the regulations/restrictions they had for this building, but would it not have been simpler to just tear these walls down, reuse materials where possible, and rebuild the facade from scratch to match the existing? Especially for such a small building? I'd be curious to know if they're able to achieve the same level of building performance with this "facadism" vs rebuilding from scratch.

Maybe I'm in the wrong, but it feels like they're barely conserving any heritage with how it's currently being done.

My understanding is that City Planning has been preferring keeping facades rather than repurpose because the masonry and craft is kept intact. While it can be mimicked, that human element is heritage too.

Facadism isn't this is all that unusual, as it is done in other cities also. I agree, preservation by keeping only a small percentage of the building, isn't all that appealing from a heritage standpoint. It looks cheap, and well, is cheap.
It's been done all over the city, and in some cases is a bit laughable.

Installing the second level of tiebacks.
IMG_3372.jpg

IMG_3369.jpg

DSC_1477.JPG

The impact on this nabe is gonna be massive, mostly for the better, I believe. That being said, it'll be interesting to see how much more the Metro down at Robert can handle. It was beyond maximum capacity 10 years ago, and now between 3 and 7 is just complete chaos. I'm not sure it can handle much more.

Depends how full-stock it is. Sometimes those grocers are more boutique, which means fewer items at higher prices, thus leading normal people to gravitate to a standard setup like Metro for their staples.

Depends how full-stock it is. Sometimes those grocers are more boutique, which means fewer items at higher prices, thus leading normal people to gravitate to a standard setup like Metro for their staples.

It'd have to be a decent store with a decent selection. Despite the chaos of that Metro store (the aisles are especially tight there) the Sobey's Urban Fresh didn't last at Bloor and Borden Streets. I don't really like the cramped "urban" Longos, Sobey's and Independent City Markets - I'd much rather go to a full service supermarket where I know they'll have what I'm looking for and it won't be a maze to navigate to find it and pay for it (looking at you, Dundas Street Longo's).

The next closest grocery store is Fiesta Farms on Christie Street - still a bit far from Mirvish Village for carrying groceries.

It'd have to be a decent store with a decent selection. Despite the chaos of that Metro store (the aisles are especially tight there) the Sobey's Urban Fresh didn't last at Bloor and Borden Streets. I don't really like the cramped "urban" Longos, Sobey's and Independent City Markets - I'd much rather go to a full service supermarket where I know they'll have what I'm looking for and it won't be a maze to navigate to find it and pay for it (looking at you, Dundas Street Longo's).

The next closest grocery store is Fiesta Farms on Christie Street - still a bit far from Mirvish Village for carrying groceries.
Yep, exactly. That Sobey's was over-priced, too. I suspect something will go in here, but I don't think it'll be a full-stock store like the Metro.

Yep, exactly. That Sobey's was over-priced, too. I suspect something will go in here, but I don't think it'll be a full-stock store like the Metro.
There are lots of other small grocers in this area including one crummy one right across the street where you can get cheap basics, a few more good fruit and veg markets further west and PAT Mart which is excellent and cheap. There are also a few butchers (Rowe, Gasparo, Noso). I live in the area and never go to metro. Plenty of other options here. If you live north of bloor there is a huge Loblaws and Sobeys on Dupont.

Having lived here for 5 years I don't think the area needs another grocer but that's just me.

There are lots of other small grocers in this area including one crummy one right across the street where you can get cheap basics, a few more good fruit and veg markets further west and PAT Mart which is excellent and cheap. There are also a few butchers (Rowe, Gasparo, Noso). I live in the area and never go to metro. Plenty of other options here. If you live north of bloor there is a huge Loblaws and Sobeys on Dupont.

Having lived here for 5 years I don't think the area needs another grocer but that's just me.
I've here for 15 and think it needed one when I moved in.

There's the Freshco going in at the Bathurst College Centre - about a 10 minute walk south as well. It's kind of far to carry groceries, but not completely ridiculous. It's going to be huge too - 45,000sf.

Back