Toronto MEC Queen Street (Mountain Equipment Coop) | 21.03m | 3s | Parallax | Sweeny &Co

From the PDF file: http://www.cbre.ca/o/torontodt/AssetLibrary/300-308 Queen Street West.pdf

Currently, plans are underway to deliver 2 floors above grade of 20,240 SF each, with ceiling heights of 22 feet on the ground floor and 16 feet on the second.

The owners are seeking an anchor retail tenant for the project, which will be available for occupancy in the Spring/Summer of 2013. Linear frontage for the retail component is 115 feet on Queen Street and 71 feet on Soho Street.

... In an area spanning Front Street to the south, Queen Street to the north, Spadina Avenue to the west and University Avenue to the east, there are 8,096 condominium units currently under construction, in sales, planning or recently built.

6778736370_fcd66c2163_b.jpg

Great news but why two stories? A 4-6 storey makes better use of the prime space.

according to another thread, the main floor will be 22ft and the 2nd level with be 16 ft so that comparable to 4s height

I'm disappointed by this. I'd always imagined a public square for that site. Queen Street is great for walking but not great for just hanging, and given the crowds I just assumed that a 'Soho Square' would have been just about the most lively place in town... and unlike other squares in Toronto could actually have been bordered by bars, restaurants and patios!

It's going to be good to see this parking lot go. The size, form and use of the project seem consistent with the rest of the strip, should be a good fit.

Does the project include any sort of green roof treatment? Would be nice, for such a large surface area relatively close to the ground.

I'm disappointed by this. I'd always imagined a public square for that site. Queen Street is great for walking but not great for just hanging, and given the crowds I just assumed that a 'Soho Square' would have been just about the most lively place in town... and unlike other squares in Toronto could actually have been bordered by bars, restaurants and patios!

Completely agree. Would've been good if they just built along the north side of the lot and opened up a public space on the south side. Another missed opportunity :(

Very pleased to see this lot developed. It creates a real dead-spot right now. Two storeys seems consistent with the current neighbourhood and will plug the gap nicely. The design itself is definitely superior to a lot of other two storey retail structures. Thumbs up all round.

Last edited:
Great news that this is to be just two stories. Anything much higher would have blocked sunlight on The Black Bull patio.

Back