Toronto MEC Queen Street (Mountain Equipment Coop) | 21.03m | 3s | Parallax | Sweeny &Co

Ghirardelli Square?

Seriously, if we're to accept the givenness of the tourist/commercialization of Queen St, perhaps we should learn from some of those progressive-minded urban retail complexes of the 60s--let's say, a modern version of early Yorkville classics like Lothian Mews or York Square...

The square could be ringed by semi-permeable structures- for winter and summer seasons- they would all front onto the square, but would be split at the corners to allow for through traffic along the backside. I envision the structures to work more like arcades, which can open up to the square come warmer weather-or closed when it is cold.

p5

Wouldn't your plan also require another element--the cooperation of the owner of the property?

Well, I guess I just figured that was obvious. It IS owned by a private owner and therefore would have to bought... thought that went without saying.

There are many, many other elements from architecture to financing that would be needed to be figured out as well, but they don't all need to be listed in order to discuss the merits and possibilites of a public space in a certain location.

In this case there's a building along one side of it--and not a very nice one, mainly covered in ads. The 'Soho Square' dream would have to include redeveloping it too.

Why would it "have" to? How would the existence of the Lush building reduce the usefulness of a (presumably active) public space beside it?

I'm not talking about the usefullness of the public space, one could argue that that part of Queen already functions pretty well as such.
I'm suggesting that the design of it would have to invove the western edge, as the current collection of buildings (including the Lush store) would make an ugly side to the civic space.

You're not the only one, I even contacted some fellow forum members to start working on a proposal. However, my plan required one element... a local BIA to work with. Amazingly, there isn't one of Queen West.

It really has amazing potential as a square for vendors and simply hanging out. Personally, I would keep the name "Soho Square" and name the fountain (or other focus of the square) after Bob Hunter.

I am sure I heard recently that a BIA is finally being set up for the Queen West area. (Along with a couple more around and about - uh, Chinatown was another I think?)

How would the existence of the Lush building reduce the usefulness of a (presumably active) public space beside it?

Anything close to a Lush has its usefulness reduced. Those stores really really stink.

I'm suggesting that the design of it would have to invove the western edge, as the current collection of buildings (including the Lush store) would make an ugly side to the civic space.

The square would not necessarily need to take up the whole of the current parking lot. It would likely be a much more intimate and attractive space if appropriate buildings were put into it along its western and northern sides. Make them slim enough and you still have lots of space for a square. Make them attractive enough (pleasing design, ground floor retail and restaurants with patio space) and you'll bring more people into the square. A building along the north side will also buffer residences across Bulwer Street from the increased noise that a new square will bring. Let's hope that whoever eventually develops the parking lot is civic-minded and creative.

One of of Queen West's biggest parking lots might disappear.

A two storey building at Soho and Queen is being proposed with, 20,240 square feet per floor. This should really change the feeling of the strip just east of Spadina.

Very glad to see the lot go, and also happy this lot is not going to be another condo and the strip will keep its retail feel. However, always felt it would have been a great spot for a public market or square. But who would spend 10-20 million on building a great public space in Toronto.

Do you think what's proposed is the best use of this parking lot?

300 Queen Street.jpg

http://www.cbre.ca/o/torontodt/prop...eet-west/Pages/300-308-queen-street-west.aspx

http://www.cbre.ca/o/torontodt/AssetLibrary/300-308 Queen Street West.pdf

Attachments

• 300 Queen Street.jpg
    300 Queen Street.jpg
    18.8 KB · Views: 2,031
I have no problem with it. It will fit right in with the area. I don't think you need $10-20mill to put in a nice public space here either. Not sure where you get that price tag from for a space of this size.

But, I do think a great little public space could have been created if they had fixed the jog here.
peter_cross.jpg

Last edited:
300-308 Queen Street West (CBRE, 2s)

Credit goes to Junction416 who originally posted this in the Buildings, Architecture, & Urban Design section:

http://urbantoronto.ca/forum/showthread.php/18531-Queen-and-Soho-Parking-Lot

One of of Queen West's biggest parking lots might disappear.

A two storey building at Soho and Queen is being proposed with, 20,240 square feet per floor. This should really change the feeling of the strip just east of Spadina.

Very glad to see the lot go, and also happy this lot is not going to be another condo and the strip will keep its retail feel. However, always felt it would have been a great spot for a public market or square. But who would spend 10-20 million on building a great public space in Toronto.

Do you think what's proposed is the best use of this parking lot?

View attachment 8565

http://www.cbre.ca/o/torontodt/prop...eet-west/Pages/300-308-queen-street-west.aspx

http://www.cbre.ca/o/torontodt/AssetLibrary/300-308 Queen Street West.pdf

Back