Toronto MEC Queen Street (Mountain Equipment Coop) | 21.03m | 3s | Parallax | Sweeny &Co

I'm disappointed by this. I'd always imagined a public square for that site. Queen Street is great for walking but not great for just hanging, and given the crowds I just assumed that a 'Soho Square' would have been just about the most lively place in town... and unlike other squares in Toronto could actually have been bordered by bars, restaurants and patios!

Absolutely. This would have been a perfect place for a public square, and unlike most in the city, would have been heavily used. I wonder where the street vendors that typically operate in front of this lot will go.

With all the new residential in the area, we really could use another nice public space. Perhaps a L-shaped building with a piazza fronting restaurants, cares, and bars would be good here, but regulations about outdoor patios might deter this...

I walked by today and was surprised to see the parking lot is being repaved. They're about half way finished, adding a very thick layer of fresh ashphalt. They've also constructed a new concrete island beside Soho, which I'm guessing will be the foundation for a kiosk.

And in fact there was a community meeting about MEC moving here a week and a half ago. Story, or at least pics, soon.

Am I the only one who thinks this site should really be a public park?

Totally. Years ago, some UT members half-heartedly tried to start a campaign to turn this into a public square.

It really is a fantastic location for a possible public space.

That MEC intend to retain (and increase slightly) the TPA parking is probably not something a lot of previous developers who kicked the tires wanted to be bothered with for 2 storeys maybe?

Possibly, but wouldn't that be a source of revenue for any developer?

I assume MEC is coming here with a pile of cash from the King Street site, but I have no idea if that has sold, or if there's an agreement to sell once they've moved.

I wanted to see a public square here for the longest time, but I didn't want it to take up the whole site; I just wanted it for half the site. I believe that public squares need appropriate architecture bordering them, and they need a sense of enclosure, so I wanted to see new building along the west and north sides of the site that would address the open space on the remainder of the space so that it could be activated appropriately. The current west wall is a long blank one, who wants that, and the north side is a residential sidestreet with nothing to recommend retaining the views to it. Besides, it the side street were hidden behind new buildings, programming in the square could be a little rowdier and not provoke the residents too much.

Anyway, too late, not going to happen.

Totally. Years ago, some UT members half-heartedly tried to start a campaign to turn this into a public square.

It really is a fantastic location for a possible public space.

The park people could learn a thing or two from the successful campaign for a park at Bay & Wellesley.

Screen shot 2015-05-25 at 1.42.01 AM.png

Screen shot 2015-05-25 at 1.42.25 AM.png

Attachments

• Screen shot 2015-05-25 at 1.42.01 AM.png
    Screen shot 2015-05-25 at 1.42.01 AM.png
    400.7 KB · Views: 1,435
  • Screen shot 2015-05-25 at 1.42.25 AM.png
    Screen shot 2015-05-25 at 1.42.25 AM.png
    376.9 KB · Views: 1,430
MEC does not need a zoning bylaw amendment to go ahead, so there's no park on the way. There will be a 6 metre wide boulevard space beside Soho Street along the east side which has yet to be designed. Maybe Joe Cressy will be able to find some Park in-lieu cash for that.

MEC does not need a zoning bylaw amendment to go ahead, so there's no park on the way. There will be a 6 metre wide boulevard space beside Soho Street along the east side which has yet to be designed. Maybe Joe Cressy will be able to find some Park in-lieu cash for that.

How many MEC members are reading this? Can't we pack the AGM and stage a proxy fight, or something?

Back