Toronto Massey Tower Condos | 206.95m | 60s | MOD Developments | Hariri Pontarini

From the Toronto Condo Boutique website;

Capturesyn.JPG

okay... cool. thanks for all the info being cleared up.
Whatever this is, does the "100 storey" comment still apply???

where on yonge could this go.... or is it possible that this is the name for the 205 Yonge street (or whatever the address is), twin tower box condos by Aa.?

or is this the proposal in the lot on yonge, just north of college (beside the starbucks at Yonge/College)

Talk about Synergy is being moved to this thread.

Having said that, it is still rumoured to be over 100 storeys, and is probably NOT the 100s Yorkville rumour (so we have two towers -- one with 100 storeys, and one with more than 100 storeys -- rumoured to be in the works). As to where it will go, androiduk thinks that a good candidate for Synergy's location is Yonge Street between Elm and Gerrard, which apparently has been mostly bought up by a single developer.

The 501 Yonge Street proposal will not look like the published drawings -- those are simply "envelopes" for the actual design. Once they have been approved by the City, any design that fits inside the boundaries of the published elevations will automatically be approved. Presumably they were still being finalized when the application was made, but we have multiple credible reports that the actual final design is not what we have seen, and is reportedly quite spectacular.

Last edited:
okay... cool. thanks for all the info being cleared up.
Whatever this is, does the "100 storey" comment still apply???

where on yonge could this go.... or is it possible that this is the name for the 205 Yonge street (or whatever the address is), twin tower box condos by Aa.?

Cheesy mock-deco fonts will never fit a Aa-designed building.

I personally think that this development will be 60 storeys. The evidence for that height is more convincing to me, since we have a credible report with somewhat more detail supporting that height. I think that the later Nadine Robins 80 storey report may have been in error -- not in the existence of the project, but in its height, which may have been miscommunicated to her. The original SSP report:

softee (SSP) 07-13-2011, 10:51 PM -- I work at the Homesense next door and some guys came by today to look at the loading dock in the rear of the store because the whole area has to be redesigned in order to allow trucks to deliver shipments to the store during and after construction of the condo. He showed me detailed plans of the property which included a rendering of the new condo. I only got a quick look at the plans - looked pretty good from what I could tell in a 5 second gander - and he said it was going to be 60 storeys. He also said it might be several years before construction is underway, but it's still pretty exciting for sure!

I fear that you will be right, Mongo, in that the building will be in the 50-65 storey range. I really wish we could see more towers in the 70+ storey range but I do not know when that may happen....i do not want most of our lots/sites taken up by buildings that are not super tall....
++

You need to chill about 70 storey buildings. When this forum started 10 years ago we were raving about 20 storey buildings. The bigger ones will come.

ya and you caught up with the times. Telling someone to chill about something they wanna see is uncool. Its a forum for ideas, thoughts and discussion. Since when do you act as a regulator on what people can be excited about. If you dont agree thats your problem.

I am one of the moderators so I do act as regulator when it is required. Urban Toronto was started to counteract all the drivel on the world sites where it was only about tall buildings. Nothing wrong with tall buildings but continually wishing it was higher can get in the way of good discussions.

This seems ambitious for a site that is only 4,822 square feet.

205YongeSt.gif

205 is actually a very weird plot of land in that it actually includes that funny bit all the way to Victoria. I'm not sure of the EXACT logistics, but I was part of a deal that was thinking of going in on both the buildings last winter, - its property snakes south of the laneway and then extends to Victoria.

205 is actually a very weird plot of land in that it actually includes that funny bit all the way to Victoria. I'm not sure of the EXACT logistics, but I was part of a deal that was thinking of going in on both the buildings last winter, - its property snakes south of the laneway and then extends to Victoria.

Perhaps it is 197 to 205 Yonge Street?

That would be 15,900 sqare feet - a more likely size.

197Yonge-1-1.gif

Last edited:
Once again, a reminder that there are emergency exits from both the Elgin and Wintergarden Theatres plus the north end of the lobby that lead out into that area in the middle so that presents some tricky development challenges here.

Those 2 guys on the left were across the street for awhile today gesticulating toward 205 Yonge like they were trying to figure out how to do something. The first black truck had a little replica construction helmet on the dash so I assume they're in 'the business'. It looks like something is going to happen here, we just don't know what.

banks28.jpg

ya and you caught up with the times. Telling someone to chill about something they wanna see is uncool. Its a forum for ideas, thoughts and discussion. Since when do you act as a regulator on what people can be excited about. If you dont agree thats your problem.

I don't hold much faith in the apostrophe challenged. (its, dont, thats)

... Urban Toronto was started to counteract all the drivel on the world sites where it was only about tall buildings. Nothing wrong with tall buildings but continually wishing it was higher can get in the way of good discussions.
Veering somewhat off topic, but it's relevant, to me at least, that I have long since given up reading the "Skyscraper" sites, which seem to be about little except skyscrapers. More seriously, they are dominated by misinformation and poorly informed speculation, sometimes wildly off the topic at hand. The strength of this forum is that a wide range of larger and smaller topics is covered, with good input in several cases from people "in the business" or otherwise well informed.

I'll be extremely surprised if 70 storeys or anything near that were seriously proposed for the site. As Big Daddy mentions, the site has a very small size and an awkward configuration, unless a larger assembly were to be done (of which, there seems to be no sign, to date). I'd like to see an imaginative blending of the old and the new, more likely at 20 to 30 storeys. It would be especially interesting to see what use could be made of the existing structures, which more than one have apparently found pretty difficult to do.

Back