Toronto MaRS Centre Phase 2 | 112.77m | 20s | Alexandria | B+H

I'm curious about the technical aspects of restarted projects like this -- are there special concerns about pouring new concrete on top of old concrete and rebars exposed to the weather for a year or more? Are there procedures that need to be done to where the new construction interfaces with the old?

Hmmm....still not any concrete news on re-start of this project. I was hoping to hear something by the end of February.

"Construction will start in one month. For sure. I know this because I read it in an identical post that I wrote last month."

You know what's even more annoying? Constantly having your hopes raised then dashed.

We get your point. Stop bumping the thread for no reason.

well.....Im calling up on person with "reliable souces " on this project who claimed in March that contraction will continue within a month. This is MY REASON !!!!

MaRS Discovery District Expansion Creates 4,000 Construction Jobs
July 26, 2011

McGuinty Government Building A Strong Innovation Economy

Ontario is helping MaRS expand to more than double its size, making it the largest urban innovation hub in the world -- an investment that will create more than 4,000 new construction jobs.

Phase 2 of the MaRS Discovery District, a new advanced medical laboratory and technology building, will be located in the heart of Toronto. Near globally recognized universities, hospitals and research institutes, the new 20-storey building will house research organizations and businesses in the science, technology and social innovation sectors.

Those using the expanded facility will include Public Health Ontario's central lab, which provides testing services, advice and research to help prevent and control infectious diseases, and the Ontario Institute for Cancer Research, which is dedicated to the prevention, early detection, diagnosis and treatment of cancer.

Supporting MaRS is one of the ways the McGuinty Government is creating the jobs of the future and driving innovative economic growth in Ontario.

QUOTES
"Every day, the innovators and entrepreneurs at MaRS work on ideas that will save lives, invent whole new industries and create jobs we can't even imagine today. Ontario is proud to help meet the demand for state-of-the-art space that will help bring these projects to life."
– Glen Murray
Minister of Research and Innovation and MPP for Toronto Centre

"The MaRS Centre has been at capacity since it opened six years ago, when we first started working with entrepreneurs building new growth companies. Today the MaRS community has tremendous momentum, and our facility is bursting at the seams! This expansion of the MaRS platform offers a huge opportunity to accelerate that momentum and further strengthen our innovation economy for future generations."
– Ilse Treurnicht
CEO, MaRS Discovery District

"Public Health Ontario is thrilled to be a part of the MaRS Centre Phase 2 development. As a hub organization dedicated to protecting and promoting the health of all Ontarians, renewal and advancement of our laboratories is essential for Ontario's continued response to emerging public health threats. Location of our laboratories at MaRS will enhance academic, healthcare and private sector partnerships."
– Dr. Vivek Goel
President and CEO, Public Health Ontario

"OICR is focused on personalized medicine for cancer and finding solutions to critical issues that will benefit patients in the next five years. Our commercialization program ensures discoveries move from the lab into the clinic. With Ontario's support, we will continue to support proof-of-principle research and early commercial development, and provide expert guidance through human trials, proof-of-concept and regulatory approval."
– Dr. Tom Hudson
President and Scientific Director, Ontario Institute for Cancer Research

QUICK FACTS
• Infrastructure Ontario will provide a fully repayable loan to MaRS, which will enable MaRS to complete the project.
• Phase 2 will expand MaRS from 750,000 square feet to more than 1.5 million square feet.
• When Phase 2 is completed, more than 5,000 people will work at MaRS, with thousands more participating in workshops, conferences, and networking events.
• The Ontario Institute For Cancer Research supports the efforts of more than 1,400 investigators, clinician scientists, research staff and trainees across the province who are working to overcome cancer.
• Public Health Ontario employs over 900 people in 29 locations across Ontario to provide scientific and technical advice to those working to protect and promote the health of Ontarians.

Back