Toronto Market Street Redevelopment | ?m | 2s | Woodcliffe | Taylor Smyth

This Year! Well, hopefully lol. The last I read back in Feb, Council is trying to release section 37 $, coordinate with watermain/infrastructure plans already set for this year, and to get a tender out for re-construction of the road, street lamps, sidewalks, planters, etc...for Front between Jarvis and Parliament ahead of Pan Am. Shouldn't be too difficult. I guess the drop deadline that they can defer this to is early 2015 haha.

Do not despair! Hydro were out last week marking with white paint where the new (tall) poles are to go at the street corners (combining traffic lights and street lights) : Hydro is supposed to install these in next 3-4 weeks. The tender call for the remaining pedestrian level lighting plus all the street work (plus a new watermain on Princess north of Front) is set to go out in the next 4-6 weeks. The project (Jarvis to Parliament) is supposed to start in June or July - all the funding is lined-up.

Last edited:
In today's Star there is an alcohol permit application notice from an Indian bistro (Bindia) on Market Street - indoor and outdoor areas. Good start!

Added 23 March. City building permits applied for - they spell the name "Bindyia Restaurant"

Last edited:
Today:

9pu77Yz.jpg

waxAWr0.jpg

lkgGkUB.jpg

Anyone know when the Esplande will be redone ... its needs it desperately after WT ripped it apart for the sewer.

Anyone know when the Esplande will be redone ... its needs it desperately after WT ripped it apart for the sewer.
Yes. The work on restoring The Esplanade after the Waterfront Toronto sewer 'fiasco' will start in June. The restoration is now being done by the City and the first stage is that Hydro will replace (and add to) the pedestrian-scale lighting and then the sidewalks - with far more trees - will be redone starting at Market and working west. (This will allow the patios west of Church to remain until at least Labour Day. Of course, WT promiosed all this for 2012 but this time it's looking better - part of the problem was getting Hydro to get on with their part.

It would be great if the Esplanade was repaved with stone, as it was in 1905. I've been wondering for a while if the stones are still present under the asphalt, but I didn't have the opportunity to go down there while WT's sewer construction work was taking place to see, and now I'm spending a lot of time away from Toronto.

It would be great if the Esplanade was repaved with stone, as it was in 1905. I've been wondering for a while if the stones are still present under the asphalt, but I didn't have the opportunity to go down there while WT's sewer construction work was taking place to see, and now I'm spending a lot of time away from Toronto.
The WT sewer project was primarily under the sidewalk (why its such a mess) and no stone there. I think the road was completely redone in the 1980s and I have never noticed old paving stones when they make the interminable utility cuts.

That's unfortunate to hear about no stones being visible during utility cuts, but good to know nevertheless. It's still worth going with stone. Such a heritage is quite valuable to have and can make for a beautiful street.

That's unfortunate to hear about no stones being visible during utility cuts, but good to know nevertheless. It's still worth going with stone. Such a heritage is quite valuable to have and can make for a beautiful street.
The full restoration is only the north sidewalks - only patching of the south sidewalk and the road. Though it would probably be nice, at least until repairs were needed, I think you will wait a LONG time to see a paved stone street.

You can really get a sense of how much wider the new sidewalk is going to be. There were a bunch of City of Toronto people hanging about today looking at the other side of the street by the market. Hopefully that means something is going to happen there too.

8633108218_d8cdac59c3_c.jpg

8633107724_a45b3b9bcc_c.jpg

photos by me

You can really get a sense of how much wider the new sidewalk is going to be. There were a bunch of City of Toronto people hanging about today looking at the other side of the street by the market. Hopefully that means something is going to happen there too.

photos by me

Actually the new "sidewalk" on west side is really more of a woonerf and it will NOT all be sidewalk all of the time. The drainage will all be in centre of the street.) The intention is that Market Street can be closed to traffic at certain seasons/days/times and that sidewalk cafes can expand out more. The City has plans to do same thing on east side of the street at same time as they fill-in the open area under Market. This still needs $$ but it is supposed to happen this year or next.

Back